Stampede is rolling in turns.

Spring has arrived and I was just thinking about beinging this out again since the weather is so nice. Charged up a 3s and took it out just to find the suspension a lot sloppier and it keeps rolling in turns. Iím doing a full rebuild right now, but before I add oil and stuff, what could I change to make it roll less? Stock settings on the A-Arms with Big Bore shocks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Member of the 100+ post club! Here to mess up!

Sway bars and stiffer suspension are the first two I would play with. Then look into lowering the body and/or chassis as much as reasonably can be done. And finally wider offset wheels.

RC Qualifier
    Try moving your shocks to the last hole closest to the wheel on the a-arms and inside hole on the shock towers.

Also, if you wanna spend money, try the Proline ProTrac suspension. It'll give you a much wider track and make the truck more stable

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

Stiffer suspension will likely make it roll more from traction rolling. Softer suspension allows the chassis to lean instead.

Less preload on the springs, moving the shocks out as suggested, getting wheel hub extensions will also help. I converted mine over to 17mm and I use hot racing hubs which added 5 or 6mm to each side. Made it quite a bit more stable.

I just finished replacing all my ball ends as well. I also have the hot racing c-hubs and axle carriers on the front/rear as well as the hot racing servo saver/steering rack. Was trying to toughen it up a bit and remove as much slop as I could. Running 3S has it's challenges on this truck. Driving in a straight line consistently is one of them!

I found the biggest thing that helped 3S running was a center diff. The plastic cup didn't make it through a pack before warping and taking out the spur. I upgraded the cup with a FLM alloy one and put 250K oil in it. Has enough give to unload the front tires if I stay on throttle too hard, but it really calmed it down.
    Expert rigging at it's best!

Quote Originally Posted by olds97_lss View Post
    Stiffer suspension will likely make it roll more from traction rolling. Softer suspension allows the chassis to lean instead.
    This is only true because you ignored the "Sway bars and". Drifters will disagree also because stiffer suspension leads to drifts and softer suspension leads to traction rolls which get worse without sway bars. This is why they are included on some of the stock Slash 4x4.

The 2 main problems with rolling in turns with a Stampede is CG and weight transfer from leaning out in turns. Letting it lean more won't help at all.

Quote Originally Posted by zedorda View Post
    This is only true because you ignored the "Sway bars and". Drifters will disagree also because stiffer suspension leads to drifts and softer suspension leads to traction rolls which get worse without sway bars. This is why they are included on some of the stock Slash 4x4.

The 2 main problems with rolling in turns with a Stampede is CG and weight transfer from leaning out in turns. Letting it lean more won't help at all.
    No, I get the sway bars. Just figured regardless what you do, with grippy/aggressive offroad tires and stiffer springs, sway bars or not, the tires are going to grip and flip it as opposed to the shocks compressing. Partly due to the high grip of the tires and partly because of the high COG of the stampede.

Quote Originally Posted by olds97_lss View Post
    No, I get the sway bars. Just figured regardless what you do, with grippy/aggressive offroad tires and stiffer springs, sway bars or not, the tires are going to grip and flip it as opposed to the shocks compressing. Partly due to the high grip of the tires and partly because of the high COG of the stampede.
    Ok I am just going to give up because you are set on very backwards concepts in how suspensions work. The curved A-arms you have in the pics kinda indicate your understanding. We just going to have to agree to disagree.

Ok I am just going to give up because you are set on very backwards concepts in how suspensions work. The curved A-arms you have in the pics kinda indicate your understanding. We just going to have to agree to disagree.
    Nah, you missed my meaning. I was just explaining how I "thought" it worked. Obviously, my thinking was wrong. I rarely run sway bars on anything, mostly because they become a nuisance to me when working on stuff as they get in the way.

Are the sway bars for the slash? Any idea of the part numbers? Wouldn't mind giving that a try on mine as well.

The part number is TRA6898: https://traxxas.com/products/parts/6898

The part number is TRA6898: https://traxxas.com/products/parts/6898
    Thanks! Any idea if they work on the squishy RPM arms? Or do they not have the holes to mount them?

I'll have to see if I can find any installed photo's on a slash or stampede.

EDIT:
    Looks like they use the screw holes where the arm skid plates mounted. So, should work with the RPM arms.
    Last edited by olds97_lss; 04-12-2019 at 12:25 PM.

I can't say for sure I don't use RPM arms but I would think so since RPM does a good job of making stock replacements.