Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    RC Champion zedorda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    S.E. Michigan
    Posts
    1,175

    Thought I found the solution ... but it ended badly.

    I been still working with this JConcepts Over Tray to find a solution to the heat buildup within. I found what seemed to be a good fit blower fan. I would have to wire in a plug but it was a 2-wire fan at least. But as I installed it I found the housing was made of extremely fragile plastic. Here are a few pics of the test fitting.





    So I was hopeful but as I was finishing up the last fastener I heard an odd "POP" sound and saw a few cracks in the over tray radiating from it. I taped it up but I don't think it is going to help any since the fans cause so much vibration the cracks are just going to continue. I am still very shocked after 6 holes doing fine I would've never thought it would crack like this so easy. I was using washers and nylon lock nuts just so I didn't have to tighten them down much also.


    I am still considering glueing a piece of lexan over the spot because I don't want to give up on it yet.

  2. #2
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Squeegie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    7,593
    Looks good. Too bad it didn't work out.

    I don't know about reinforcing the lexan, but many have just cut slots in the back of the louvers on the cover to allow more air flow.

    As for adding fans, Here's one with fans in the back and a customer scoop in the front:
    https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:446628

    Can you just fab a mount on the chassis for the blower?

    As for the "fragile plastic" housing, you could always use a fan with an aluminum case:
    http://www.yeahracing.com/catalog/ya...mm-p-3977.html
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

  3. #3
    RC Champion zedorda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    S.E. Michigan
    Posts
    1,175
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeegie View Post
    Looks good. Too bad it didn't work out.

    I don't know about reinforcing the lexan, but many have just cut slots in the back of the louvers on the cover to allow more air flow.

    As for adding fans, Here's one with fans in the back and a customer scoop in the front:
    https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:446628

    Can you just fab a mount on the chassis for the blower?

    As for the "fragile plastic" housing, you could always use a fan with an aluminum case:
    http://www.yeahracing.com/catalog/ya...mm-p-3977.html
    I thought about cutting where the louvers are but it would defeat the splash protection I am trying to maintain. I know it won't hold up to being submerged but I would like it to be able to handle almost anything being poured/splashed over it.

    Thingiverse looks awesome but I am only looking for minor airflow really but with high static pressure. I have filter medium at the front and rear with hydrophobic coatings so pretty restrictive. I only need about 2 CFM in flow to recycle the air in the over tray four times per minute.

    The area where the rear blower fan is is directly over the slipper cover and I am trying to keep this entirely connected to the over tray so I only have to unplug it to take it off. Since without the over tray I have no need for any of the fans.

    I bought the blower fan from Ebay so couldn't touch it first. The housing is thinner than paper. I should of used some of the rubber fan mounts I have but didn't come to mind at the time.

  4. #4
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    94
    Tragic. I would have copied this.

  5. #5
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. El Sob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    14,243
    Quote Originally Posted by zedorda View Post
    I thought about cutting where the louvers are but it would defeat the splash protection I am trying to maintain. I know it won't hold up to being submerged but I would like it to be able to handle almost anything being poured/splashed over it.

    Thingiverse looks awesome but I am only looking for minor airflow really but with high static pressure. I have filter medium at the front and rear with hydrophobic coatings so pretty restrictive. I only need about 2 CFM in flow to recycle the air in the over tray four times per minute.

    The area where the rear blower fan is is directly over the slipper cover and I am trying to keep this entirely connected to the over tray so I only have to unplug it to take it off. Since without the over tray I have no need for any of the fans.

    I bought the blower fan from Ebay so couldn't touch it first. The housing is thinner than paper. I should of used some of the rubber fan mounts I have but didn't come to mind at the time.
    I have the louvers cut out in mine and I haven't had a problem with water getting past it.
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

  6. #6
    RC Champion zedorda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    S.E. Michigan
    Posts
    1,175
    Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    I have the louvers cut out in mine and I haven't had a problem with water getting past it.
    As much as I appreciate the information. I am not going to make a decision based on lucky anecdotal evidence.

  7. #7
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. El Sob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    14,243
    I would not call it luck. I ran it in the rain for three years and never suffered from water damage. You have to do what you feel is best for you.
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

  8. #8
    RC Champion zedorda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    S.E. Michigan
    Posts
    1,175
    Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    I would not call it luck. I ran it in the rain for three years and never suffered from water damage. You have to do what you feel is best for you.
    I am not saying you are lucky because you didn't have damage. And I am not doing this to avoid damage it is to avoid moisture not humidity but true moisture. I can say it as a fact more moisture entered through those holes you made than I can allow in. I will be sticking several moisture strips within the over tray area just like the ones in all cell phones to detect moisture. I will be putting some electronic monitoring devices that are extremely sensitive to moisture. I will be testing these devices in an environment with gases deadly to humans and possibly alot of water being sprayed from above. These prototypes are not water proof but the end product will be. Now I just hope I don't have any trouble with the NDA.
    Last edited by zedorda; 04-12-2019 at 08:41 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •