RC poster

1/10 Summit Driveshafts

Hi,

I have searched the forum and found a number of threads on this topic, but they seem to be old and out of date.
    I've had my Summit for a few years now and due to space and time, just managed to dig it out of storage and start playing again!

I've never been a fan of the stock driveshafts - I can't stand the little grub screw, it always manages to loosen! So I'm looking for recommendations for an upgrade. I like the look of the LEM in the other threads, but can't find a supplier and I think the website is down, or they are no longer manufactured.
    These look good though ProLine PL6274-00

I'm from the UK so a distributor who delivers here would be preferred.

Thanks

Really? Clean it up and give it some fresh loctite. Otherwise, you are looking at E Revo axles with U joints, weaker than the OEM, or something like MIP, that is just an all metal Summit axle in reality, a bit stronger. I have a build that has MIPs up front and Summits out back, using Summit drive axles down the center as well to the diffs, simply because they don't seem to break. Not that it matters on a Summit, but you get close to 45 degrees out of them as well, 35 on MIP.

RC poster
    Thanks for the reply.

Is there not a solution that doesn't involve a tiny grub screw? I find them so fiddly and don't really like the small hex key. I was thinking something along the lines of what's on the T-Maxx (like this) but metal.

Just been doing some more research, and something like this would be nice.

I hope you know that those use grub screws too...
    I like free stuff!

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Sp2deSummit View Post
    I hope you know that those use grub screws too...
    Not in the UJ though? I'm guessing they attach to the diff like the stock Summit with a pin?

RC Qualifier
    I’d be wary of those driveshafts. Unless they are hardened steel they are probably not as strong as the stock ones and are too expensive to experiment with IMO. Look into MIP. Much better quality. Also if you’ll clean your driveshafts where the grub screws insert then use some red locktite, I doubt they’ll ever fall out. JMHO.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by herbie497 View Post
    Just to be clear, I wasn't thinking of these driveshafts exactly, as they fit the T-Maxx, I'm saying something similar.

Quote Originally Posted by 222 View Post
    Also if you’ll clean your driveshafts where the grub screws insert then use some red locktite, I doubt they’ll ever fall out.
    Is that the permanent Loctite? I'd still like to be able to take them apart for repairs.

This could be a solution to go through the driveshaft, but it will need to be 20mm.

RC Qualifier
    Yes the red is the more permanent stuff. You can remove it by heating it up. The blue loctite works well but you have to make sure you clean the parts to be done very well. 91% isopropyl alcohol works well for this. As for the metal driveshafts, I really would look into MIP or similar if it were me. I’ve yet to have issues with the stock ones, and have been using them for years now. Only thing I do is to check them occasionally and make sure that all the screws are tight. Also getting a good set of hex head drivers or Allen wrench drivers helps a bunch.

RC Racer
    herbie497 are you talking about the universal joint or the pin that holds axle onto the diff? If it is the grub screw in the u-joint use blue loctite, it's removable.

RC poster
    I don't like the way the pin is held in the UJ, I'd prefer a solution to the same way the driveshaft is held onto the diff, with a pin screw all the way through. Also, the hex is so small!

You'll have grub screws or little cir-clips. I'll take the screws all day long given the choice.

RC poster
    Surely a better solution can be invented, similar to the diff output, with a pin screw?

I plan on a big strip down and clean soon. I have some 99.9% isopropanol which I use with my 3D printer, so will try that. What would you recommend to clean and get the rust of the metal CVs? Same stuff, or WD40?

Do you recommend any brands for the 1.5mm hex driver, and where to get them?

Rust removal? Soak them in white vinegar. Eats all the rusty funk off them.

RC Qualifier
    MIP hex drivers. That or if you are looking for t handle type, Bondus makes a good product. You can get the bondus ones off amazon or eBay. The MIPones you should be able to get off eBay. Just make sure they are quality ones and you won’t have issues with stripping heads.

RC poster
    I'm thinking of these pins, but threaded at one end like a grub screw

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by MAC FAB View Post
    You'll have grub screws or little cir-clips...
    If you really want to get rid of those type of axles you could use the Tmaxx/Revo axles, but they won't be as strong.