Thread: Charger

RC poster

Charger

So been reading several posts, looking for a dual charger. What kind of charger are you folks using? I read a reply on another post, they are using "SKYRC D400 Ultimate Duo Multifunction Charger". That looks pretty good. Let me know what you using. Mahalos.

RC Champion
    I have the Hota D6 plus form SMC and I’m very happy with it.
    "AVENGED SEVENFOLD "

RC Champion
    I had Hitec X2 AC Plus Black Edition and it's a great charger (still have and use it)
    https://hitecrcd.com/products/charge...supply/product

After buying an XMaxx, bought the Getfpv CQ3 Multi charger since it's even more powerful and charges 4 batteries at once.
    https://www.getfpv.com/ev-peak-cq3-m...n-balance.html

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
    I had Hitec X2 AC Plus Black Edition and it's a great charger (still have and use it)
    https://hitecrcd.com/products/charge...supply/product

After buying an XMaxx, bought the Getfpv CQ3 Multi charger since it's even more powerful and charges 4 batteries at once.
    https://www.getfpv.com/ev-peak-cq3-m...n-balance.html
    Natedog, are you using 4S or 3S. If using 9200 maH 4S batteries, wouldn't the ev-peak charger be a little under powered?

Quote Originally Posted by pukas84 View Post
    Natedog, are you using 4S or 3S. If using 9200 maH 4S batteries, wouldn't the ev-peak charger be a little under powered?
    Yes. I have the dynamite version of the same thing and it can't charge my 3S/7200mah packs at much more than 1C. With my 3S 5000mah packs it can do 1C fine, but I have it set to 10A on all 4 ports. 3S@5000mah takes 111watts for 2C, so it throttles itself down to 8.9A or so as it hits the 100W limit. Still does an ok job, but would take longer with the 4S. A 9000mah 4S would be 133W @1C, so you would want a charger with at least 10A/150W to charge at 1C without running the charger at redline all the time.

The hitec D7 is pretty good. There are some knock off chargers with similar specs. 2x20A/2x200W on AC power. Think it's the same for DC power, but I only use that one in my house with the dynamite 4x100w charger.

If you want to go big, you should look at DC chargers and a PSU. Hitec has the X2 700 which is 700W x 2/30A x 2, but it's DC only. There are quite a few good chargers out there once you go DC. Then it's just a matter of finding a good power supply.

A lot of the DC chargers have impressive specs, but they only put out those numbers if your running a 24V source. So, be careful, or at least aware of that when your shopping.
    Expert rigging at it's best!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I have the hitec duo ultima, I think thatís what itís called. Itís a DC only charger, so it requires a DC PS. I can charge at 10 amps each channel. I really like it.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by pukas84 View Post
    So been reading several posts, looking for a dual charger. What kind of charger are you folks using? I read a reply on another post, they are using "SKYRC D400 Ultimate Duo Multifunction Charger". That looks pretty good. Let me know what you using. Mahalos.
    I have the skyrc d400. Works great.
    Charges 2 smc 9200 4s from storage to balanced full in ~33 minutes, no extra psu to deal with

I use two Venom Quad Pro's. What I like about them is that they're price well, and they have one function that most of the other battery chargers don't have. They allow you to discharge down to a Storage Voltage from a full charge. Most other chargers will only let you charge up to a Storage Voltage from a discharge. Why is that important?

Because, it's a good idea to recycle your batteries during the off season. I don't really RC much during the winter months, so it's nice to be able recycle my batteries. Also, with having two Venom Quad Pro's I can perform my battery maintenance and charging way faster at a 8 battery rate than if I only had a two battery charger.

Last edited by ReglarGuy; 04-21-2019 at 06:15 AM.
    The ReglarGuy is kid tested and father approved.

RC Qualifier
    Traxxas EZPeak Live Dual. Does everything I need it to do. Just run traxxas plugs if need be. Great charger and the bluetooth to the app is pretty cool.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Easy for you to say. (lol) You don't have heliflopters. What I did with my setup was to make adaptors for the batteries I use for them. I fly several different classes and they all have different battery plugs. All my water and land vehicles, though, I use Traxxas plugs. They're a good plug. The other nice thing with using a non-Traxxas setup is not being restricted to Traxxas batteries. They're a nice battery, but way to expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by ReglarGuy View Post
    I use two Venom Quad Pro's. What I like about them is that they're price well, and they have one function that most of the other battery chargers don't have. They allow you to discharge down to a Storage Voltage from a full charge. Most other chargers will only let you charge up to a Storage Voltage from a discharge. Why is that important?

Because, it's a good idea to recycle your batteries during the off season. I don't really RC much during the winter months, so it's nice to be able recycle my batteries. Also, with having two Venom Quad Pro's I can perform my battery maintenance and charging way faster at a 8 battery rate than if I only had a two battery charger.

I like your charging station/setup. Very nice and tidy. I wish I had the forethought and organization to pull that off.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowcrossmxz View Post
    I have the skyrc d400. Works great.
    Charges 2 smc 9200 4s from storage to balanced full in ~33 minutes, no extra psu to deal with
    Just think on DC you could be charged I. Around half that time. I set mine up with quick connects to go from PS to alligator clips. The PS just sits on the wall looking pretty

Speed charging is really tuff on batteries. Really, the only time you want to speed charge is in the field. The best thing to do (if you can afford it) is to have enough batteries that you can charge at home at 1c, and not need to speed charge in the field. As far as the extra time to charge, for me it's not a big deal, because I charge my batteries while I'm working out or working on something. I have both my hobby workbench and gym in my basement.

Last edited by ReglarGuy; 04-26-2019 at 03:37 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ReglarGuy View Post
    Speed charging is really tuff on batteries.
    Then SMC must really have the chemistry side of things figured out with their cells. I got a pair of SMC's that have always been charged at 2C and are going on six years old. The battery (RES) is 14 and has never fluctuated from that number except after a discharge in the vehicle and it may jump to 17 but always goes back to 14 after being returned to a storage charge.

Six years of being charged at 2C and I would have expected some type of performance drop or internal resistance spike; but I have yet to see it. Must be because I have always balanced charged them at 2C. I'm wondering how long they would last if I always just charged them at 1C; but hey six years at 2C I figure the batteries have already paid for themselves and continue to provide adequate power and run times.

When you refer to speed charge, most guys think that is the fast unbalanced charge cycle on their chargers; whereas, I think you are referring to a speed charge as anything over and beyond 1C.
    Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 04-26-2019 at 09:43 AM.
    Welcome To The Futures' Past!

RC Qualifier
    Here is why I am certain about the difference between what is considered a speed or "fast charge" verses charging at a "Balanced" 2C:

Notice that my charger has the "Fast Charge" option below the "Storage Charge" option in LiPo mode.

Now when I select the "fast charge" option, the charger seems to bypass the balance lead connections and charges the battery as if I had just the mains connected.

That is why I always select the last option "Balance" at a 2C rate because "fast charge" or "charge" bypasses the balance board connections or though it is apparent that is why it charges them faster on "fast charge".
    Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 04-26-2019 at 11:19 AM. Reason: Fixed something.

Quote Originally Posted by Flux Capacitor View Post
    Here is why I am certain about the difference between what is considered a speed or "fast charge" verses charging at a "Balanced" 2C:

Notice that my charger has the "Fast Charge" option below the "Storage Charge" option in LiPo mode.

Now when I select the "fast charge" option, the charger seems to bypass the balance lead connections and charges the battery as if I had just the mains connected.

That is why I always select the last option "Balance" at a 2C rate because "fast charge" or "charge" bypasses the balance board connections or though it is apparent that is why it charges them faster on "fast charge".
    I honestly don't know why that should be an option as my charger recommends balance charging a lipo and the battery manufacturer highly recommends balance charging every time.

Maybe it's like that "Fat Loss" button on the treadmill that New Year's Resolutioners get all when they step on the machine.
    The Super Derecho

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    I honestly don't know why that should be an option as my charger recommends balance charging a lipo and the battery manufacturer highly recommends balance charging every time.

Maybe it's like that "Fat Loss" button on the treadmill that New Year's Resolutioners get all when they step on the machine.

You nailed it.

When ReglarGuy mentioned speed charging, it kind of makes you wonder why a professional charger would let you do anything but a balanced charge in LiPo mode. I just wanted to clarify that speed charging can be done, but your LiPo's will get so far out of balance and the internal resistance will spike through the roof.
    Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 04-26-2019 at 11:33 AM. Reason: Fixed Name.

Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    Or at the very least, when in lipo mode, it defaults to balance instead. I have that same D7 charger. Oddly, it takes longer to storage charge my packs on it than it does my dynamite 4x100w charger. Seems really fussy for that last .1v.
    Expert rigging at it's best!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by olds97_lss View Post
    Or at the very least, when in lipo mode, it defaults to balance instead. I have that same D7 charger. Oddly, it takes longer to storage charge my packs on it than it does my dynamite 4x100w charger. Seems really fussy for that last .1v.
    I agree.

I found that it takes it down to a storage charge better than bringing it up to a storage charge with the D7. I always stop before my LVC kicks in at 21 volts on 6S, and I'm usually just a tad above storage charges of 3.8 volts a cell on a 3 cell battery. It only takes about 8 minutes to take them down to storage at a discharge rate of 3.15 amps, because they are usually at around 11.6 volts a piece when I quit.

Ooops, I just saw in my post #15 that I misused the word "verses" - it should read "versus" as one thing is opposed to another.
    Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 04-26-2019 at 02:19 PM. Reason: Misuse of a word in post 15.

Quote Originally Posted by olds97_lss View Post
    From what I have read, using "Balanced Charge" (in LiPo mode) at .7c is the best way to go (if you can do it), because it's the easiest on the batteries and gives you a longer lasting charge when discharged under load. There is one thing I wish I could do with my Venom Quad Pro's, though. I wish I could discharge at a faster rate that at 1 amp. Other than that, they work very well for what I need in charging, storing, and recycling my batteries...and, the price for them is very reasonable compared to others with like features.

RC Enthusiast
    Venom duo. Priced great and works great.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

You got that right, and so is the quad. I've always gotten good results from venom chargers. Their batteries are priced kind of high, and I don't care for their batteries all-purpose connectors, but do like their chargers.