RC poster

Need some help!!!!!

Hey guys i just got into traxxas a few months ago. I have been a life long kyosho guy but decided to get a slash and feel in love. My question is this, i bought a revo 3.3 roller from ebay to rebuild and plan on upgrading heavily. Are there any suggestions as to what engine, suspension, and gearing i should get for a track style running revo3.3?? Not pro racing but serious friend track racing.

Take a look at the Revo Platinum Edition (#5304) through the Support button above. You could read up on Steve Slayden's articles and racing set-up sheets when you search that number or his last name as well.
    The Super Derecho

The 3.3 engine is ok if your on a track. I didn't care for it much when I run in grass all the time. It did fine at the skate parks, but labored quite a bit in the lawn. Needed just a little more grunt to suit me and my bashing areas.
    https://www.youtube.com/c/olds97lss

RC Qualifier
    The platinum is awesome...I had one. Olds 97 is right a big block is the way to go I've built several.Steel gears, sway bars,rpm arms,tru trac in the rear,17mm hubs. You have a much better selection of wheel tire combos .go to a single high torque steering servo.and a nice pipe for whatever big block you choose......And pull the trigger bro.....
    nutty like a squirrel turd....!!!!!

Big block is a bit much for most scenarios, but the OS21TM works really well. Just pick your poison I guess. Either route you go will be around $350 as both really need the RRP trans gears. Big block needs a header/pipe/alternate engine mount.

A few benefits on dropping the coin on the 21TM vs a true big block is that it fits in the stock mount, it's lighter, doesn't stick up high, can find a few aftermarket pipes for it or use the traxxas pipes, it sips fuel, it's a bit easier on the diffs/axles, it's more power than the 3.3, but not ridiculously so and it holds a tune all day long once it's got a gallon or so through it.

I just ran mine for an hour non stop at a grass bmx track. Compiling the footage now... will take a while to edit that all down. Was a bit cool for me to run nitro, 47F, but I put a sock on half the head and it ran great. I burned through 500cc's of fuel, pretty much non-stop for a solid hour.

I run my big block revo just for giggles. It's retardedly over powered. Any blip of the throttle kicks the front in the air even though it's geared to run about 45-50mph. Going much higher just causes the clutch the slip excessively in the grass, which is where I run most of the time. I have a 1/8th clutch/bell with alloy shoes in it as well. I moved the transmission forward about 1/4" to allow for the 1/8th clutch. I have a new era style leaner mount in it, THS BB pipe with modified header to work with the mount, slayer primary output gears, RRP top/2speed gears, stock center/outer sliders and diffs.

Both trucks have RPM true track on the rear, RPM arms/carriers on the front. The BB has a raised new era 3 point roll bar to protect the engine, I cut the top couple of fins off so the engine was shorter, still cools fine, M2C engine bay support plate. The 21TM has an integy (I know) 4 point steel roll bar thing to protect the engine and keep the body from collapsing, it's raised about 3/4" as well with spacers and also has the THS high torque small block header/pipe.

Both also have the platinum shocks with VDK#2 with 60-70 weight oil, can't recall for sure what weight... been a long time. I'm trying an experiment with the 21Tm revo using P2 rockers with P3 rods mounted in the furthest out hole to decrease the pushrod angle to help with ball end wear with silver springs on the front, blue on the rear. Seemed to do well for me today. I also have alloy rockers on all my revo's as I tend to snap those.

Obviously... I could go on and on... and on. lol! Sorry about that.
    Last edited by olds97_lss; 04-13-2019 at 04:17 PM.
    https://www.youtube.com/c/olds97lss