RC Competitor

Rustler 4x4 VXL upgrades

I just ordered a Rustler 4x4 VXL today. I should get it by the end of next week. What would be the best upgrades besides RPM front/rear a-arms and bulkhead? What would be better as far as shocks. The Traxxas GTR or Proline? Thanks for your advice!

To start you would be doing yourself a huge disservice if you replaced those awesome cold-weather arms for them floppy RPM ones. IMO the release of the cold-weather A-arms with the Rustle 4x4 have completely made the RPM A-arms obsolete.

And GTRs all the way.

RC Qualifier
    Aside from the GTR shocks, head to ebay and get the chop shop package of blue sl4sh ultimate aluminum caster blocks/bearin carriers, and sway bars. Maybe get a stronger servo but the 2075 seems okay in this application.

After that, if you run on pavement a lot, get the 17mm adapters and run 1/8 buggy wheels/tires. These things really move with the lighter buggy weekly+tire set up

RC Competitor
    [QUOTE=zedorda;6494447]To start you would be doing yourself a huge disservice if you replaced those awesome cold-weather arms for them floppy RPM ones. IMO the release of the cold-weather A-arms with the Rustle 4x4 have completely made the RPM A-arms obsolete.

RC Competitor
    Thanks for the advice! This rustler 4x4 is new to me and I just assumed to go RPM. So the stock ones are stronger?

RC Competitor
    [QUOTE=TwoBelugas;6494449]Aside from the GTR shocks, head to ebay and get the chop shop package of blue sl4sh ultimate aluminum caster blocks/bearin carriers, and sway bars. Maybe get a stronger servo but the 2075 seems okay in this application.

After that, if you run on pavement a lot, get the 17mm adapters and run 1/8 buggy wheels/tires. These things really move with the lighter buggy weekly+tire set up

RC Competitor
    I scored a complete aluminum front and rear aluminum assembly like you said for $49.99 from Amazon.

Personally I would slow down, this is a tough truck. Wait till something breaks. Most importantly enjoy yourself

RC Competitor
    I know that you are correct about waiting until something breaks but I already had the a arms and cvd driveshafts on hand. I am going to replace the front caster/steering blocks and rear axle carriers because I have a Slash 4x4 platinum that came with the aluminum ones and they are excellent! I am a little weary about the shocks because again my Slash 4x4 came with the GTR shocks and I’ve never had a problem with them. Thank you for your concern but I am going to make these changes. Then I’ll wait to replace things until they break.