RC Qualifier

New Erevo 2.0 Tires or.....?

Is it me or does anyone else love the way the new 2.0 Talons look! I love the rims too!!!!!! I think they handle street and off-road equally well.

So what the problem? Yesterday the tires pull away from the rim.... on front and back on the right side. I didn’t notice it until I did my usual break down after using it.....

Not sure to get Proline Badlands or Trenchers & new rims (I don’t really care for any of the Proline wheels/rims) or buy new Traxxas Talons and rims and glue them myself. I am hoping that if I duct tape the inside of the Talons before gluing to the Wheels/rims they will be able to deal with the stress of torque the 2.0 puts out when wheels are no under load.

Thoughts anyone.....

RC poster
    I like the Trenchers on mine

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpine1310 View Post
    I like the Trenchers on mine
    Alpine what rims do you have???

RC Qualifier
    I went with Badlands they are pretty heavy and seems heavy durable.....

RC Qualifier

Red face

Latest update, been running the MX 3.8 Badlands, they were very bulky and heavy. Really Geared for grass and dirt, I even went an upgrade the servos to the power HDs. All good except on pavement.

So I took a chance and bought new Talons 2.0 tires and wheels unassembled. And I duct tape them from wall to wall. Which was very time consuming you have to turn each tire inside out and I clean the inside of each tire with alcohol prior to duct taping. Getting the tape at the edge of the sidewall before the bead was tricky required sniping the edges of the tape to maneuver around the bead.

Then I cut the foam inserts closet to the bead at 45 degree angle. So I didn’t have to fight the foam to get the beams properly seated in the narrow channel of the wheels where they are ultimately glued.

Once the sidewalls were done I tape the middle of each tire overlapping the tape on the side wall and the the two piece down the middle. All in all four pcs of tape were overlapped on each tire.

Getting the tire turned right side out took some doing as they were less flexible with all that duct tape attached. But it is do able with a little muscle and patients.

The most nerve racking part was GLUING the Beads into those channels without messing them up. If you don’t work fast enough the glue starts to dry, if you work too fast you risk not getting the bead fully inserted into the channel.

I tried two different ways. I started with the back of the wheels to practice on. Here I push the beads all the way back over the plastic channels so I had full access to the inner channel. I dropped a bead of glue on the upper and lower side of the channel. Then raced to get the beads inserted in the channel, as fully inserted as they are design. Again this was a challenged and I think I did ok for the most part. Very clean and on two tires I had one spot about 1mm off the bead not fully inserted to the back of the channel.
    The front were a different story as I did not want to risk not fully inserting parts of the bead. So I decided to do those the old fashion way and had inserted the beads in the channel first and then glue by pulling up on the bead and inserting the glue as deep into the channel as I could. They were slightly more glue seepage then the back as I want to insure there was glue getting to the back of the channel. This went ok though you can only get glue on the bottom side of the channel not both sides like I did in the back. The bottom and the back of the bead is unglued for the most part.

I gave them 24 hours to dry fully and ran them today. Absolutely no ballooning, these stay flat to the wheel at full throttle and when wheeling.

I hope this proves to be a good long term fix as I really enjoy the size, style and the all terrain functionality of the Talon 2.0.

I will keep you posted.

But I still have my Badlands for dirt grave and grass just Incase.
    Last edited by REVO-KN-EVIL; 06-02-2019 at 03:06 PM.

RC Racer
    Keep us update on how it goes, my only concern would be over time the movement from the tyres trying to ballon will cause the tape to fail/come away!

I’ve seen a few guys of late run fishing braid around the tyre itself, some tyres might need the tread cut to form a channel for the thread but so far looks very promising.

RC Qualifier
    Yes no problem, there is a lot of tape four strips each centers into the next. It will be interesting to see if these tires change as the tape get older and get put thru it’s paces.

I really don’t like the fishing line version. But very McGiverish....

RC Competitor
    Ive done this fishing line trick i swear by it now lol

Sent from my SM-T827R4 using Tapatalk

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Xzinten View Post
    Ive done this fishing line trick i swear by it now lol

Very clever!!! I can't wait to try that tomorrow! Maybe I'll try some black braided line or black light GA wire or black sewing line to kind of camouflage that color in. I'll let you know tomorrow.

RC Competitor
    That is 65lbs braded line i did 3 wraps each, just to let ya know, also make sure they're snug and inside the tread all the way around or else you can throw them loose into your drivetrain its not fun. I tryed 20lbs monofilament line as a temp fix when i was waiting on my new tires and it snapped wrapping up around my hub and drive shaft was a mess thats for sure, add a touch of cv glue to your knots too btw.

RC Qualifier
    I think I am going to try this on my new set of tires to keep them from ballooning. I forgot all about this mod.
    Catch my videos at youtube.com/c/offworkhours