RC poster

Rookie Speed Run Build - 150+ MPH goal

I know, I know... 150mph is easier said than done. I'm already finding myself scouting out roads or giant parking lots that are long enough, smooth enough, clean enough, and sans curbs!

Goal 1 - 100mph
    Goal 2 - 125mph
    Goal 3 - 150mph

My 11-year old son doubted me when I told him I could get my Slash over 100mph... so this is where I find myself.

I purchased this rig back in 2012 when the 1/10 Rally came out and immediately converted it to an LCG Slash (before Traxxas released the LCG Slash). I've flogged and bashed the thing and eventually turned it into a Monster Slash. I've decided that the next step in it's life is to get well into the triple digits and figured this was a good place to document it!

Current chassis upgrades from life as a basher:

• XO-1 Diffs
    • MIP X-Duty Axles
    • Revo Slipper Clutch
    • KMZ Aluminum Motor Mount
    • Chassis Brace
    • Tekno Driveshaft
    • MIP 17mm adapters
    • RPM control arms
    • Big Bore Shocks
    • Aluminum Knuckles/Carriers

Build for goal 1 - 100mph:

• Mamba Monster X ESC w/XT90's
    • 4 Pole 2200kv 1515 Motor
    • 4100uf Cap Pack
    • Saga Motor Mount
    • 29T Mod 1.0 Pinion
    • 34T Mod 1.0 Spur
    • Metal Gear Servo
    • Ceramic Bearings (because... why not!)
    • Two 5400mah 3S SMC Lipos wired in series for 6S goodness
    • Saga Battery Plates
    • Revo Big Bore Shocks with gold springs
    • GRP S3 Tires
    • Hot Racing 17mm Adapters (MIP's don't work well with wheels)
    • Revert to Stock Control Arms (RPM's already seem too soft)
    • JC Concepts Scalpel Body (I didn't realize it sucks until I bought the stupid thing - determined for it to still look like a truck up to 100mph before abandoning it)
    • 1/10 Rally Bumpers

More to come!

Last edited by MtnBkr; 04-16-2019 at 12:15 AM.

RC Qualifier
    I would ditch that body... is it worth crashing and have to replace parts? The number one obstacle of speed is aerodynamics. Take a look at Delta Plastics speed run series for the Slash. Also I would look into a slipper eliminator. Slippers are good to have for bashing/jumping, but not ideal for this purpose.

Since you already have the 1515 (2200kv) this is a great setup to look at for inspiration the general is a member here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQaLnLwCv4s

Overall your build looks to have the right parts to get started! Please take extreme caution when running at high speeds if you bring you kid(s) with you. 80+mph object with a weight of 10+lbs will do some serious damage.

-Liberty

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by LibertyMKiii View Post
    I would ditch that body... is it worth crashing and have to replace parts? The number one obstacle of speed is aerodynamics. Take a look at Delta Plastics speed run series for the Slash. Also I would look into a slipper eliminator. Slippers are good to have for bashing/jumping, but not ideal for this purpose.

Since you already have the 1515 (2200kv) this is a great setup to look at for inspiration the general is a member here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQaLnLwCv4s

Overall your build looks to have the right parts to get started! Please take extreme caution when running at high speeds if you bring you kid(s) with you. 80+mph object with a weight of 10+lbs will do some serious damage.

-Liberty
    Thanks for the advice, it's much appreciated!

The body purchase was a rookie move that apparently a lot of people have fallen for... and you make a good point about crashes. I already pulled the trigger on a Delta Plastik that I'll transition to when it's painted up. I'm going to use the Scalpel for some test runs on 3S to make sure everything is dialed in and running well.

Good advice when bringing the kids; I told them they would have to be up in my truck bed off the ground and away from the flight path!

Your threads have been helpful in my research and my son has a 4Tec 2.0 VXL that he already wants to modify as well! We got the 4Tec to 67mph bone stock, out of the box, with stock ESC/Motor. (It definitely seems like it takes less to get them into triple digits)

I already hate the motor mount setup on this Slash as installing/changing the pinion is a pain! I looked to your Slash build and am going fab up the XO-1 motor mount instead.

Welcome to the forums!!!

I like the look of it so far! It's fun to see other people trying to get to high speeds, because who doesn't like fast things? (Well, people who only crawl, I guess) I hope this build turns out to be successful!
    I like free stuff!

I have gone to quadcopter drones for speed since surface RC is so limited when it comes to speed but I love to watch the speed runs.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by MtnBkr View Post
    Thanks for the advice, it's much appreciated!

The body purchase was a rookie move that apparently a lot of people have fallen for... and you make a good point about crashes. I already pulled the trigger on a Delta Plastik that I'll transition to when it's painted up. I'm going to use the Scalpel for some test runs on 3S to make sure everything is dialed in and running well.

Good advice when bringing the kids; I told them they would have to be up in my truck bed off the ground and away from the flight path!

Your threads have been helpful in my research and my son has a 4Tec 2.0 VXL that he already wants to modify as well! We got the 4Tec to 67mph bone stock, out of the box, with stock ESC/Motor. (It definitely seems like it takes less to get them into triple digits)

I already hate the motor mount setup on this Slash as installing/changing the pinion is a pain! I looked to your Slash build and am going fab up the XO-1 motor mount instead.
    I am glad my threads were helpful to you.
    Yes, that XO-1 style mount is the only way I build my cars now. I recently got one for a 1/10 on-road build.
    Setting it up on the Slash 4x4 isn't real easy since you have to chop it up, drill, and tap but it worked great.

I personally believe the 4TEC 2.0 is a more capable car (for aerodynamic reasons) to hit higher speeds than the Slash 4x4, but it has been proven many times that the Slash can do it.

RC poster
    Got the Scalpel body painted up for some 3S test runs. Delta Plastik speed run body is in route.

RC Enthusiast
    I like it.....but Iím not sure about the black

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

RC Qualifier
    Great work there! Anything color combination with high contrast like black and yellow is great for visibility.

RC poster
    Well... she's put together with baling wire and bubble gum but was able to get a few test passes on 3S tonight alongside my son's 4tec. Naturally, I had to toss the GPS on it. Steering needs tightened up from all the abuse this rig has taken over time, but it was pretty stable overall.

Next steps:

• Solder up series harness for second battery
    • Solder in cap pack
    • Replace a few steering parts
    • Change out a few bearings
    • Find my Castle link so I can program the ESC properly
    • Get her over 100!

RC poster
    Had my first 6S test run yesterday... and well... see for yourself (sorry for the crappy cell phone video)

RC Enthusiast
    That looked painful... and expensive

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Fun to watch, why did you not slow down. Either way Iím glad you didnít. If you wanna got fast, find a better spot

Had my first 6S test run yesterday... and well... see for yourself (sorry for the crappy cell phone video)

You are going to need a whole lot more runway than that if you want to achieve the speeds you are talking about.
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC Qualifier
    You need a clean road not a parking lot as many have already said. Achieving speeds of 100mph or more requires lots of empty road to do so. A parking lot just doesnít have enough space for speed runs where you are trying to get to 100mph. Not trying to beat a dead horse, but if you are serious about getting over 100mph youíll need to find a good non broken up road that doesnít get a lot of traffic. Good luck and keep at it.

RC Qualifier
    It certainly gets to a point where you almost need a day off work to run mid-day when no one is around. This was my biggest frustration when getting a rig capable of these speeds. Rarely had the chance to use it.

On a side note if you have any large sports stadiums near by their lots tend to be large enough, if the pavement is good and obstacles (light poles) are not an issue.

I hope the repairs are minimal. Good thing Slash parts are dirt cheap!

Well... she's put together with baling wire and bubble gum but was able to get a few test passes on 3S tonight alongside my son's 4tec. Naturally, I had to toss the GPS on it. Steering needs tightened up from all the abuse this rig has taken over time, but it was pretty stable overall.

Next steps:

• Solder up series harness for second battery
    • Solder in cap pack
    • Replace a few steering parts
    • Change out a few bearings
    • Find my Castle link so I can program the ESC properly
    • Get her over 100!

What body do you run on your speed runner? Do you possibly have pictures?
    "Theres not bad people, just bad choices."

RC Enthusiast
    Nice rig! That thing really moves...

How do you like the sensored Mamba setup? I've been looking into one myself. I've never owned a sensored system so out of curiousity, any reason you aren't running it with the sensor cable? I've read that for high speeds it isn't "necessary", but wasn't sure if there is a down side to running it at such high speeds as I know the main benefit is low-end.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by LibertyMKiii View Post
    It certainly gets to a point where you almost need a day off work to run mid-day when no one is around. This was my biggest frustration when getting a rig capable of these speeds. Rarely had the chance to use it.

On a side note if you have any large sports stadiums near by their lots tend to be large enough, if the pavement is good and obstacles (light poles) are not an issue.

I hope the repairs are minimal. Good thing Slash parts are dirt cheap!
    Large sports stadiums? Where do you think I live, Texas? Thankfully the only damage was to the chassis. Hoping to swap parts out to new one shortly.

Quote Originally Posted by NOFTCHX View Post
    What body do you run on your speed runner? Do you possibly have pictures?
    Video was with the Scalpel. DeltaPlastik getting painted up in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by Wasted_Wages View Post
    Nice rig! That thing really moves...

How do you like the sensored Mamba setup? I've been looking into one myself. I've never owned a sensored system so out of curiousity, any reason you aren't running it with the sensor cable? I've read that for high speeds it isn't "necessary", but wasn't sure if there is a down side to running it at such high speeds as I know the main benefit is low-end.
    Honestly, I don't think it matters for speed runs and I misplaced the harness. I don't have experience with sensored setups either but I will definitely run the sensor in a different application.