RC poster

Slash 4x4 on 3s without being warm

I have a slash vxl with stock gearing. When I drive on 3s it gets warm really quickly. I am wondering what I can do, so I have some questions.
    1. Do different lipo c ratings impact heat?
    2 Can I change motor to something with lower kv to make it run cooler- what are the drawbacks with this? (Or alternatively, can I fit a cheap 1/8 scale motor without it being warm(as long as I don't have to change the setup of the car too much)?)
    3 And lastly, is it recommended to buy an esc and motor capable of ex 6s. Will this lead to cooler running on 3s?

RC Enthusiast
    Apparently people just add cooling fans to the esc and motor and that seems to do the trick. Something like these...

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B000STYS5G/..._gpPTCbYF4NV59

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00W40W3W2/..._-pPTCb0BYR5CG

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

RC poster
    I have cooling fans on it but It still gets warm. Want to know if there is a motor i can fit.

1. No/not really. C-Rating is how much amperage can be pulled from the pack when demanded from the ESC.
    2. Yes, but...
    3. Not 6S, but the Mamba-X with a 2400kv motor is a great combo for the Slash.

But...
    What is "Warm"? If you don't have one already, you really should invest in a temp gun. You can get one at Harbor Freight for around $12. It might be a degree or two off, but that is perfectly fine in the RC world.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC poster
    I am also on the quest for cooler motor temps with my Sl4sh. I'm trying to keep my rig in good working conditions. There seems to be a lot of factors involved. What works for some, may not work for others. I also want to be on 3s batteries, so I upgraded my motor and ESC. I went with a 1\8th scale system. I chose a Tekin RX8 esc with a Tekin Pro4 HD 3000kv motor. The gearing I've used are 13\54 15\54 13\52 13\52 13\50 15/52.

I was told to choose gearing that doesn't really require fans. My temps easily get above 160F when using the 15T pinion. I think in my case, 13/52 works best. My track is pretty loose dirt/sand and it takes a toll on my motor. I'm amazed how much dirt and sand get into my motor, so I break it down and clean it after about 2-3 times at the track. I invested in a dusty motor shroud, but that's trapping in some heat. I added fans back on the motor. BTW, this motor shroud is amazing. It's made a major improvement in keeping dirt and debris out of my motor and esc.

Ive been testing my gearing, leaving the shroud half unzipped or all the way zipped. It seems that 13\52 or 13\54 keep me under 145F. Its been a struggle and at times I feel that I am compounding the problem. Im just about 1 year into hobby. Im curious of what others are doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Axsion-Jaxn View Post
    I am also on the quest for cooler motor temps with my Sl4sh. I'm trying to keep my rig in good working conditions. There seems to be a lot of factors involved. What works for some, may not work for others. I also want to be on 3s batteries, so I upgraded my motor and ESC. I went with a 1\8th scale system. I chose a Tekin RX8 esc with a Tekin Pro4 HD 3000kv motor. The gearing I've used are 13\54 15\54 13\52 13\52 13\50 15/52.

I was told to choose gearing that doesn't really require fans. My temps easily get above 160F when using the 15T pinion. I think in my case, 13/52 works best. My track is pretty loose dirt/sand and it takes a toll on my motor. I'm amazed how much dirt and sand get into my motor, so I break it down and clean it after about 2-3 times at the track. I invested in a dusty motor shroud, but that's trapping in some heat. I added fans back on the motor. BTW, this motor shroud is amazing. It's made a major improvement in keeping dirt and debris out of my motor and esc.

Ive been testing my gearing, leaving the shroud half unzipped or all the way zipped. It seems that 13\52 or 13\54 keep me under 145F. Its been a struggle and at times I feel that I am compounding the problem. Im just about 1 year into hobby. Im curious of what others are doing.
    If you could find a castle 1415 2400kv (3670), it might help you out. Lower kv, but more torque than a 3660 can offer. Castle seems to not have stuff in stock these days.
    Expert rigging at it's best!

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by olds97_lss View Post
    If you could find a castle 1415 2400kv (3670), it might help you out. Lower kv, but more torque than a 3660 can offer. Castle seems to not have stuff in stock these days.
    If I find a 2400kv motor, can I use the stock vxl 3s esc? Also, because i can't seem to find any online, do 1800kv or 2650kv give the same result?

Would think an 1800kv would need 4S to get good speed/power out of it. I don't know if the vxl-3s can run a 3665 motor. I'm running a hobbystar 3660 3300kv off my vxl-3s in my converted eJato at the moment. Seems to do ok with that. I cooked the traxxas 3500kv shortly after starting running 3S in it. Not really sure why as it wasn't running hot and I had a fan on it. Was just tooling around, then smoke. It was used/abused out of my stampede which I bought used.

RC poster
    But I have a mamba x that I was going to fit with a 4600kv motor In my 4tec 2.0. Maby I should take that esc in the slash and buy another cheap one in the 4tec. Alternatively if I can use the stock vxl esc in the 4tec. Does this sound advisable?

Quote Originally Posted by Fredrikvxl View Post
    But I have a mamba x that I was going to fit with a 4600kv motor In my 4tec 2.0. Maby I should take that esc in the slash and buy another cheap one in the 4tec. Alternatively if I can use the stock vxl esc in the 4tec. Does this sound advisable?
    I have powered a Traxxas/Castle Funny Car 2400kv with the vxl esc on 3s without issue. A few others here have done so as well. I have a vxl in my 4Tec 2.0 also but its powering a Traxxas 3500kv so I'm not sure about running that 4600? That 4Tec is quite a bit smaller/lighter than a Slash so it might work ok. Mine's pretty fast with the 3500/speed gears and a smallish 3s pack...can only imagine that 4600 should fly!
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by olds97_lss View Post
    What escs work with the 2400kv?

Castle Mamba X will work with the 1415 2400kv motor.

There are plenty of esc's that will work with the 2400kv motor. I have personally used the Mamba Max Pro, the Velineon and my favorite is the Mamba X. That being said, my newest Ultimate edition is exclusively run on 3s and it doesn't get very warm and cold off extremely fast! Last I checked it was like 4 a second. I have a single fan heatsink on it glued to the motor with Loctite.
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    There are plenty of esc's that will work with the 2400kv motor. I have personally used the Mamba Max Pro, the Velineon and my favorite is the Mamba X. That being said, my newest Ultimate edition is exclusively run on 3s and it doesn't get very warm and cold off extremely fast! Last I checked it was like 4 a second. I have a single fan heatsink on it glued to the motor with Loctite.
    Should i take my mamba x from my 4tec 2.0 4600kv cc motor and put it in my slash, or shouldi use the velineon? What are the differences? Does the vxl get warmer?

Should i take my mamba x from my 4tec 2.0 4600kv cc motor and put it in my slash, or shouldi use the velineon? What are the differences? Does the vxl get warmer?
    If I were you, I would put the Mamba X esc in the Slash 4x4. Is the 2400 motor sensored?

RC Qualifier
    What about changing the gearing?
    Catch my videos at youtube.com/c/offworkhours

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    If I were you, I would put the Mamba X esc in the Slash 4x4. Is the 2400 motor sensored?
    It is sensored, but I don't know what esc I need with the 4600 in the 4tec 2.0 if i swap it over

It is sensored, but I don't know what esc I need with the 4600 in the 4tec 2.0 if i swap it over
    The stock Velineon esc should run it. Put a fan on it and call it good.