RC poster

Recharge RX nimh battery with EZ Peak Live Charger

Hi all,

I need some advice on how to recharge my Venom 1600mah RX hump pack with the Futaba connector to the Traxxas EZ Peak Live charger. Iíve configured the stock harnessís primary red connector to the battery, the secondary red connector to the external charge port, and the black connector into the receiver. I have a Traxxas EZ Peak Live charger and need to understand how to connect them to charge the battery while the battery is in the Slayerís battery compartment. Can you help?! Thanks.
    Jato 3.3
    Slayer Pro 4x4
    Nitro Rustler

You may need to find or manufacture an adapter consisting of a Traxxas female plug to fit the charger and a female Futaba end for the charge port. Be sure to properly set the charge rate of what Venom recommends.

My non-Traxxas charger has banana plugs on the charger side and an octopus for different connectors so I made a twelve inch extension to plug into the charge port on the battery box.
    The Super Derecho

RC Qualifier
    An adapter like one of these 3065/3065x

RC poster
    I suspected what you stated is what i had to do. Now onward to adapter(s) search and fabrication ��������. Thanks for the prompt reply.

Hey grizzly03,

Do you know if there is a length limitation on either of those adapters? To clarify, If i get the 3065x; cut both positive and negative wires; then, splice with a longer ďline.Ē Will that cause any issues?
    Last edited by Double G; 04-17-2019 at 08:20 PM. Reason: merge
    Jato 3.3
    Slayer Pro 4x4
    Nitro Rustler

Quote Originally Posted by grizzly03 View Post
    An adapter like one of these 3065/3065x
    Completely forgot about those.

Quote Originally Posted by BlkAznXpres View Post
    I suspected what you stated is what i had to do. Now onward to adapter(s) search and fabrication ��������. Thanks for the prompt reply.

Hey grizzly03,

Do you know if there is a length limitation on either of those adapters? To clarify, If i get the 3065x; cut both positive and negative wires; then, splice with a longer “line.” Will that cause any issues?
    Done properly it shouldn't. Or you could buy an extension.
    The Super Derecho

RC Qualifier
    You can make them longer by splicing. Use the same size gauge wire, not smaller. If I was making one longer I would solder and heat shrink the splices. Don't get crazy making super long one,(one to two feet) only what you would need and you shouldn't have a problem. Charge the battery at a 1c rate which would be 1.6amps.

I looked up the specs for the Traxxas EZ Peak Live charger. Looks like only the EZ Peak Dual live charger can charge 5-cell NIMH (6v receiver battery.) The single EZ Peak live cannot.

RC poster
    Thanks for the info grizzly03..... I’ve done some additional research and see that the EZ Peak Live CAN charge 5cell NIMH (and up to 8cell) receiver batteries (https://traxxas.com/products/parts/c...-live-12amp-id)

The app is needed (iOS and Android) which allows charging non-Traxxas NIMH batteries.... I really got the device because of the app

You almost scared me since i already purchased the charger for ~35% less than MSRP on Amazon
    Last edited by BlkAznXpres; 04-17-2019 at 09:33 PM.
    Jato 3.3
    Slayer Pro 4x4
    Nitro Rustler

RC Qualifier
    Didn't mean to scare you. I use another brand of charger so I don't have the Traxxas app.

RC poster
    No worries! I appreciate the advice from you and Double G.... Looks like i’ll have the Traxxas High Current connector for both the Futaba (RX battery from the charge port) and the Tamiya Molex (EZ start battery) by Friday.... Geez is it Friday yet?! Lol

Again, thanks for the info gents!
    Jato 3.3
    Slayer Pro 4x4
    Nitro Rustler