RC Enthusiast

Traxxas Powercell with dead cell

Hi. Yesterday I got an E Revo 2.0 and a pair of Power cell 3S 5000mAh batteries. After 2 normal chargings one of the batteries started acting up. The charger, EV Peak CQ3, said high voltage in one cell. After some fiddeling the battery started charging and all looked well. The charger allows me to see the voltage of each cell during charging and nothing looked out of the ordinary. After the 3rd run I was going to storage charge the batteries but the one with the issue made the charger throw the same high voltage message so I checked it with a battery tester. This showed 1st cell at 0.0V, 2nd cell at 7.58V and 3rd cell at 3.6V. What has happened? The battery was brand new and labeled as confirmed balanced by the store.

RC Enthusiast
    Decided to check the battery again and now it reads at an even 3.8xV. Strange thing.

Check the pin(s) in the balance connector on the battery and charger side. It could have been that it was reading two cells and thinking it was one.
    The Super Derecho

Do the packs if the ID connector or older traxxas connector with a balance plug?
    Expert rigging at it's best!

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    Check the pin(s) in the balance connector on the battery and charger side. It could have been that it was reading two cells and thinking it was one.
    This was exactly the issue. Tnx!

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by olds97_lss View Post
    Do the packs if the ID connector or older traxxas connector with a balance plug?
    ID plugs. The plug didn't really fit the charging lead. Hard to get all the way in.