RC poster

Stock shock issues

I recently picked up a rustler 4x4 vxl this past Sunday and after three runs all my shock shafts are bent and the rears also ripped out of the lower arm mounts. One run on pavement and the other two in a relatively flat field with my dog chasing after. Small hops and bumps maybe 2 feet of air at times off a small hill. And the usual turn flip and roll. Havenít struck anything directly and running factory specs and 2s battery. From the factory they were extremely soft and had to place spacers in the rear or it would bottom out under hard acceleration. Iíve read about shock cap issues. Mine are intact. But the factory shocks are utter garbage. Figured since people were jumping them stock at skate parks 20-30 feet and were holding up, Iíd get some trial runs in. All shocks bent about a cm above the lower mount and all are bowed rearwards. Car tracks straight, turns fine. No binding. Anyone else have issues with them quiting this early. 3 1/2 batteries, half since the last run they completely came apart and lost a spring and the retainers after ten min.

Quote Originally Posted by Riotfunk View Post
    I recently picked up a rustler 4x4 vxl this past Sunday and after three runs all my shock shafts are bent and the rears also ripped out of the lower arm mounts. One run on pavement and the other two in a relatively flat field with my dog chasing after. Small hops and bumps maybe 2 feet of air at times off a small hill. And the usual turn flip and roll. Havenít struck anything directly and running factory specs and 2s battery. From the factory they were extremely soft and had to place spacers in the rear or it would bottom out under hard acceleration. Iíve read about shock cap issues. Mine are intact. But the factory shocks are utter garbage. Figured since people were jumping them stock at skate parks 20-30 feet and were holding up, Iíd get some trial runs in. All shocks bent about a cm above the lower mount and all are bowed rearwards. Car tracks straight, turns fine. No binding. Anyone else have issues with them quiting this early. 3 1/2 batteries, half since the last run they completely came apart and lost a spring and the retainers after ten min.
    Man...you must of had a "Riot" with those three batteries.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich2 View Post
    Man...you must of had a "Riot" with those three batteries.

Never heard issues such as that with the shocks. I ran the stock on my Slash for a bit before going with the GTR's.

Since the truck is new, contact Traxxas and see what they have to say.
    The Super Derecho

Did you have any cartwheeling crashes? That can flex arms enough to bend things. Kind of surprised with stock arms though as they tend to be pretty stiff, but I've had that with RPM arms on various vehicles.
    Expert rigging at it's best!

RC poster
    Yeah but nothing that bad. The shocks are the only things damaged. I ordered some gtr ones and vg springs. Tune them when they get here. I called Traxxas and some hobby shops to see if they had issues. Caps popping was all they said. Those are fine. Waiting to hear back. But the factory shocks were so soft you would bottom out constantly, had a regular 2wd rustler before this and the shocks on that felt better. With the weight of the truck they would be compressed and leave you with less than an inch of clearance. See what they say. But deff disappointing they crapped out so fast

I have the GTR's on my stampede 4x4 and they seem to hold up pretty well. Also running the VG springs. I have the VDK with the holes drilled out to 1/16" and run 70wt oil. So far, the shocks are holding up well to my stupidity.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Riotfunk View Post
    Yeah but nothing that bad. The shocks are the only things damaged. I ordered some gtr ones and vg springs. Tune them when they get here. I called Traxxas and some hobby shops to see if they had issues. Caps popping was all they said. Those are fine. Waiting to hear back. But the factory shocks were so soft you would bottom out constantly, had a regular 2wd rustler before this and the shocks on that felt better. With the weight of the truck they would be compressed and leave you with less than an inch of clearance. See what they say. But deff disappointing they crapped out so fast
    The HPI Vorza has ultra heavy duty shocks that seem to work well on the rustl4r. If you want a cheaper more basher orientated durable shock, cancel your gtr order and get those hpi vorza shocks. If you want just moderate durability, that will hold up to anything on 2s, and most things on 3s get the gtr's. They have way more tuning options. Also you will need shock oil, because they come with none.

I have had great success with my GTR shocks. I have run 3, 4 and 6s lipos with them and they have taken everything I can throw at them. I even had a truck that lost signal due to bad transmitters run into a curb at 70+ mph and the GTR shocks were completely unaffected!
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC poster
    GTR shocks with VG springs and 50wt all around. Any terrain it just takes it.

RC Competitor
    I must be blind, but I can't find any information with regards to the GTR Shock VG spring specifications? Are all colors the same stiffness?

Quote Originally Posted by StDragon View Post
    I must be blind, but I can't find any information with regards to the GTR Shock VG spring specifications? Are all colors the same stiffness?
    They are all the same. A bit stiffer than stock to help support their roll cage if I remember right.

RC Enthusiast
    After popping the top cap twice on a shock I ordered some of the takeoff GTRs you can find on eBay, they should be here in a few days. Along with the steering servo the shocks are just not up to what the Rustler can dish out.

RC Enthusiast
    What would be a good shock/oil/spring for on road mostly, that handles, and doesn't hit the ground at every bump? Running Anaconda tyres.

RC poster
    Just got back into this hobby and picked up a Rustler 4x4 vxl

Already popped a shock cap off, I see everyone recommending the GTR with VG spring- replaced all shocks oil with 40w for now but want to upgrade.
    Is it XX-Long shocks in the rear and Long in the front?
    And are these the springs you are recommending?
    https://www.vgracing.com/product/Rustler_Springs.html

Thanks for the help.

RC Competitor
    Welcome Back! I just got into the hobby this year, so you might know more than I do, but since you asked...

Yes, XXL in the rear, and Long in the front.

No, that link you provided is NOT the springs for the GTR shocks. I believe that folks are going with these:
    https://www.vgracing.com/product/GTR_Springs.html
    I got mine in black, but have yet to actually install 'em. I got my GTR shocks from a 'chop shop' on Ebay (from the Slash Ultimate), so they came with the Traxxas 'two black stripe' springs that Traxxas used for the Slash Ultimate. I did not really like the amount of preload that I had to dial in to get the A-arms level, so ordered up the VG springs, but other than the preaload that raised an eyebrow, I'm not unhappy with the 'two black stripe' springs... they seem to perform well enough for me.

Snapped a GTR shock-shaft (that's part of what happens when ya hit a light pole at ~25mph), so when the rebuild happens, I'll probably try the VG springs.

Good Luck --BillJ

Welcome back,honestly I would just buy aluminum caps, this is a solid truck save your money till something really breaks. Most importantly have fun!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RC Enthusiast
    I bought the GTR shocks as I was a bit concerned the Ultra shock threads may have been damaged by the cap popping off. I added HR sways as well which combined for a nice upgrade. Seems like I could use a stiffer spring which surprises me a bit since the Slash is heavier I would have expected the springs to be stiff enough. I’ve dialed in some preload and moved the upper mounts to the outermost hole F&R so the car sits closer to level when static but it could use a bit more spring so I may try those VG ones.

Loving this truggie, it takes a beating without hesitation. The only thing I don’t like is it’s attitude on small jumps, goes nose down very fast where my little Redcat Piranha would get mad air - I’m guessing it’s the weight and 4wd. I’ve done some flips off our chain link fence though, so that’s cool

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Icehawk View Post
    The only thing I don’t like is it’s attitude on small jumps, goes nose down very fast where my little Redcat Piranha would get mad air - I’m guessing it’s the weight and 4wd. I’ve done some flips off our chain link fence though, so that’s cool
    And yet, it's darn near a perfect 50/50 balance. Go ahead, put a ruler, dowel rod, or use two fingers underneath and lift it up to balance and you'll see what I mean.

RC poster
    I will look into getting the GTR shocks as a future upgrade 1 due to cost and 2 because they don't have the blue ones in right now lol

I have some aluminum caps on the way as a first step upgrade, with the 40w oil I put in and added a thicker set of preload spacers it is landing a little bit better.

As I am pretty rough on the vehicle I went ahead and ordered the chassis brace and ultra springs from VG.

Thank you all for your help!

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by olds97_lss View Post
    Wait,what,there's no ramp,how did,oof my brain hurts.I can just imagine you pulling the trigger and the truck just goes up
    I'm Just A Guy With A Sl4sh

Quote Originally Posted by GhostOfOnyx View Post
    Wait,what,there's no ramp,how did,oof my brain hurts.I can just imagine you pulling the trigger and the truck just goes up
    The ramp is to the left out of frame. It's a skate park, you can see the concrete. It's in-ground, so the concrete you see is the level of the top of the ramp/jump.

I think this is my video I took it from:
    https://youtu.be/_1EBwvChhI4?t=211

@3:31