RC Enthusiast

mip drive shaft problem

every since i installed mip drive shafts on the rear i have noticed that in the dif you can wiggle i believe its the dif out put yoke i refilled my dif with grease and the shafts did not wobble until half a pack later but it was not as bad as it was any one have any suggestions on how to fix this?

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx. D View Post
    every since i installed mip drive shafts on the rear i have noticed that in the dif you can wiggle i believe its the dif out put yoke i refilled my dif with grease and the shafts did not wobble until half a pack later but it was not as bad as it was any one have any suggestions on how to fix this?
    I would check your diff bearings and also look to see that your diff housing where they sit isn't worn or out of tolerance. Past that it would have be in the actual diff that things are worn. Follow the out put shaft out of the diff and you'll see where you could get any slop. Diff bearings are the first place I'd look.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by nickruger View Post
    I would check your diff bearings and also look to see that your diff housing where they sit isn't worn or out of tolerance. Past that it would have be in the actual diff that things are worn. Follow the out put shaft out of the diff and you'll see where you could get any slop. Diff bearings are the first place I'd look.

yeah while i tore my dif apart i checked everything and the bearings are fine but i think its the housing how would you fix that or is it not a worth it

yeah while i tore my dif apart i checked everything and the bearings are fine but i think its the housing how would you fix that or is it not a worth it
    New diff housing.
    https://traxxas.com/products/parts/6880
    If you're not too concerned about it you can just run it. Worse that can happen is you blow out your diff. It is alot of work to replace that housing. Might as well run it , then replace everything while you have it torn down.

Last edited by nickruger; 06-25-2019 at 10:51 AM.

RC Enthusiast
    New diff housing.
    https://traxxas.com/products/parts/6880
    If you're not too concerned about it you can just run it. Worse that can happen is you blow out your diff. It is alot of work to replace that housing. Might as well run it , then replace everything while you have it torn down.

If I purchased a metal housing would that remove the issue? Also is this a problem you only get with mip shafts?

If I purchased a metal housing would that remove the issue? Also is this a problem you only get with mip shafts?
    I don't think anybody makes an Alloy diff housing for the slash/stampede. I dont think it's that big of a deal. The tolerance isn't super tight from the factory. I wouldn't worry about it. When it's time to rebuild your diffs, upgrade them to xo-1 spec, see if shimming your outputs would help and carry on. I've had MIPs for so long I don't remember. My sons stampede has the stock axles on it right now, I'll go take a look in a bit once the kiddos are in bed and see what kind of slop his has. I was wrong gpm racing makes one. 44$, ouch.

Last edited by nickruger; 06-25-2019 at 06:48 PM.

I checked my son's too. It is pretty sloppy. We might be overthinking it.

RC Enthusiast
    I checked my son's too. It is pretty sloppy. We might be overthinking it.

the metal side is alot stiffer in the dif but the plastic side is flimsy

The XO-1 differential is more robust. It has a metal I bar in it to help prevent movement. In the stock differential there is only a pin. So if you aren't using really thick differential fluid expect some movement.
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    The XO-1 differential is more robust. It has a metal I bar in it to help prevent movement. In the stock differential there is only a pin. So if you aren't using really thick differential fluid expect some movement.
    Yeah I put some thick grease in and it didnít move at all but after a pack it was moving again.

I run 50K in my stampede diffs. They wobble. I just make sure the grub screws on the MIP stay tight and bash it till it breaks. Next time I rebuild, I may try just the HD cups with the steel inserts holding the cross pin. It won't really help the output shaft wear though.
    Expert rigging at it's best!

Sometimes it is just a rabbit hole of what we think is wrong and what actually isn't wrong. Wait till breakage before fixing.