RC Competitor

How to do transmission flip??

Hi everyone! I recently bought a 1/16 summit vxl. I am looking to turn it into more of a rock crawler. One of the things that make this suscessful is the transmission flip. I watched a video on youtube on how to do it once you get the actual tranmission off,, but my problem is getting the transmission to that stage. Sorry if this is a stupid question, im new to the rc world.

Thanks

RC Competitor
    This has helped alot thanks. I will be attempting this on saturday.

RC Racer
    After doing some looking around I see quite a few people unhappy with the tranny flip. I think the top speed is like 18mph. If all you plan to do is rock crawling that may be fine. I think locking the diffs will help alot. I've owned numerous rc's, and have owned full size 4x4 trucks but until a few days ago I didn't really understand locked differentials. Just in case you didn't know, with the stock summit diffs, if you have 1 wheel that is on a rock or whatever (has traction), and the other wheel is in the air(has no traction at all), the wheel that is in the air will get 100% of the power, and the wheel that can actually do something will get nothing. This didn't make sense to me why its like that, but I did a static test and had 1 wheel on the ground and the other in the air. Sure enough, the wheel on the ground was getting no power at all. I guess it makes sense for turns at speed but for going over stuff where one wheel has less traction than the other, NOPE. I think locking the diff's will provide you better crawling ability than anything else.

For a rock crawler the tranny flip alomg with locked diffs are night and day different than a stock summit. Great improvement with crawling. But consider it a rock crawler only. Torque and wheelie power is enormous. But Speeds drops below 20, even with an MMP running on 4s lipo bashing was no fun. With the 4s lipo I got the speed back up but the gearing made the truck twitchy and jerky when I accelerated, and the whining of the fast spinning low gears sounds like a weed whacker.
    MAN, Use Common Sense.
    Outside? THERE IS NO BOX !

RC Competitor
    Alright. Also, how do you lock the diffs? i know it has somthing to do with putting in diff oil, but im not sure

I'm glad my pictures (the ones with the wood background) still help...

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...=1#post4701673

Last edited by danielhr77; 01-04-2013 at 09:43 AM.
    He Who Dies With the Most Toys Wins.

RC Racer
    Theres several ways to lock them. Traxxas sells a part that you just stick in there. Haven't heard much about how good it is. You can also epoxy them, but then theres no going back, so you'd have to buy new diff gears if you didn't like it. People have also used things like playdoh, plumbers putty, or silly putty. You can also put in the thickest dif oil you can find, which won't 100% lock it, but will get it pretty close.

RC Competitor
    if i lock it with playdoh and dont like it willl i be able to get it out? and where exactly do i put the playdoh?

RC Competitor
    also i did the tranmission flip. tons more power. the only thing im worride about is when i roll the truck, its not to smooth, more jerky.... is that normal?

It is because of the gear reduction.
    Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.

RC Competitor
    alright cool

RC Racer
    I dont know what they arr called but you gotta keep the small inside gears from turning. Believe they ate in the big one. Tjeres a youtube video on it

Quote Originally Posted by danielhr77 View Post
    I'm glad my pictures (the ones with the wood background) still help...

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...=1#post4701673

Hey daniel I only steal / BORROW from the best
    MAN, Use Common Sense.
    Outside? THERE IS NO BOX !