RC Competitor

Should I get a Tekin?

Iím considering buying a tekin combo for my slash. Iíve been looking for a new esc and motor for awhile. Iíve narrowed it down to 3 options.

A Hobbywing Xerun Xr8 with a 2600kv

A Castle Mamba X with a 2400kv

And a Tekin Rx8 with a t8 gen3 2650kv

Iím only planning on running 4s, Iíve had experience with Castle but never with Hobbywing or Tekin. Never had a problem with Castle they replaced my esc no questions asked when it broke. But Iíve been hearing some stories of others having no such luck with Castle. HobbyWing is unknown territory for me, I havenít really seen many reviews on there product or customer service.

I like Tekin because although they are expensive they are also rebuildables and it sounds like they have excellent customer service.

Iím not sure what to do... I just want something good that will last. Iím also frustrated waiting for things to come back in stock, both the Tekin and Castle combos mentioned above have been out of stock for awhile... I just want to get my truck up and running.

Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hobbywing motors are also rebuildable (most quality motors are). As for Tekin vs Hobbywing, I can't tell you which, if either, is better. From all I've heard, they're approximately the same, at least in terms of quality. In customer service, from personal experience, they're also the same. The big difference between them is price, and (for ESCs) ease of programming. Hobbywing will cost you considerably less (unlike several other brands, they ARE the OEM). Depending on ESC and/or motor, you can pay anywhere from 25-45% less than the price for equivalent Tekin products. Second, having programmed both, HW ESCs are easier to program. Hobbywing's smartphone app is FAR easier to understand than Tekin's computer application. Initially, I was in the process of switching all 3 of my Traxxas vehicles to Tekin...and, possibly, my 4 non-Traxxas vehicles...but, after learning a few things, I returned all Tekin products, and decided to go with HW for all ESCs...although, my 7 motors are currently a combination of HW, Team Powers, & Fantom.

~ Coming to you live, from somewhere on planet Earth.
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Hobbywing and Tekin the same?! Must still be the 1st of the month

Not even close! But whatever....

I currently run an rx8 v2. Has been a great esc. Doesn't overheat like my mamba max pro did. I also run 4s and a 1/8 th scale SMC motor.

I will say. Castle has the easiest to use software. The tekin is quite involved and more tunable.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Rants86 View Post
    I’m considering buying a tekin combo for my slash. I’ve been looking for a new esc and motor for awhile. I’ve narrowed it down to 3 options.

A Hobbywing Xerun Xr8 with a 2600kv

A Castle Mamba X with a 2400kv

And a Tekin Rx8 with a t8 gen3 2650kv

I’m only planning on running 4s, I’ve had experience with Castle but never with Hobbywing or Tekin. Never had a problem with Castle they replaced my esc no questions asked when it broke. But I’ve been hearing some stories of others having no such luck with Castle. HobbyWing is unknown territory for me, I haven’t really seen many reviews on there product or customer service.

I like Tekin because although they are expensive they are also rebuildables and it sounds like they have excellent customer service.

I’m not sure what to do... I just want something good that will last. I’m also frustrated waiting for things to come back in stock, both the Tekin and Castle combos mentioned above have been out of stock for awhile... I just want to get my truck up and running.

Thanks!!

If you have read any of my posts, you know that my vote is for the new El Sob motor special! Which happens to be the Mamba X esc and the sensored 2400kv motor
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo74 View Post
    Hobbywing and Tekin the same?! Must still be the 1st of the month

Not even close! But whatever....

I currently run an rx8 v2. Has been a great esc. Doesn't overheat like my mamba max pro did. I also run 4s and a 1/8 th scale SMC motor.

I will say. Castle has the easiest to use software. The tekin is quite involved and more tunable.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Is the Tekin Hotwire 3.0 a good Add on for making tuning easier, I really donít want to plug my truck into my pc....

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    If you have read any of my posts, you know that my vote is for the new El Sob motor special! Which happens to be the Mamba X esc and the sensored 2400kv motor
    Yeah that was my original choice, just wish I could find it instock...

It is that bad? I haven't tried looking for one recently. I may have to check my sources and see what I can do
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    It is that bad? I haven't tried looking for one recently. I may have to check my sources and see what I can do
    Yeah if you can do anything thatíd be great Iíve been looking for one in awhile. Iíve kinda grown tired of await and began seeking other options... So Iím hoping I can get one soonish, Iíve been wanting to get out and run.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo74 View Post
    I currently run an rx8 v2. Has been a great esc. Doesn't overheat like my mamba max pro did.
    Previous version might have had an overheating problem, but I'd suggest/recommend checking out the latest version...reports are the opposite of what you said.

Quote Originally Posted by Rants86 View Post
    Is the Tekin Hotwire 3.0 a good Add on for making tuning easier, I really donít want to plug my truck into my pc....

The Hotwire 3.0, if u remember correctly, can also connect via Bluetooth, similar to the HW connecting via WiFi. In either case, you have to unplug the fan from the ESC, and plug the programming module into the same port on the ESC.

RC Qualifier
    I have both Tekin and hobbywing. I find no difference in the performance of either motor of the same KV (4000kv). Tekin ESC via Hotwire is a little more involved. I found the hobbywing program card to be easier. Tekin customer service is top-notch. Hobbywing customer service is good, but not as good as Tekin.

I've never owned a castle product so I can't help you there.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
    Previous version might have had an overheating problem, but I'd suggest/recommend checking out the latest version...reports are the opposite of what you said.

Overheating have been the biggest drawback about rx8, really hoping the latest ones would be better.

RC Competitor
    Well maybe I'm the odd duck here, but I have an rx8, had an issue with it, emailed tekin, tried contacting Randy pike on a rx8 specific thread on another forum, and tried contacting Ty on another forum. Everyone ignored me. For the price they should at least have the courtesy to reply, even if they don't know what to do. I've had no issues with castle, or Holmes hobbies(crawler stuff) as far as customer service. And I've never had an issue with hobbywing. I will never buy another tekin and never will recommend them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

For me the original "Tekin" from the 1980s who brought us the electronic speed controller are long gone and any reputation earned by them is not accredited to the current management. Sometime after 2002 Tekin was bought and has been ill managed since. Nothing that made Tekin of the 1980s good is there anymore.

https://www.teamtekin.com/about.html

RC Competitor

Should I get a Tekin?

So my other question would be is, is it worth it to go sensored? All the combos I mentioned are sensored and while I think itís a cool idea and I understand for the most part the benefits of having sensors. Is it worth the extra money?

Iím not a racer, although I donít see why I wouldnít get into it in the future. Although if I did start racing I would just buy stuff specific for that.

I mostly just bash for now but the features on the sensored combos seem helpful. I think I read that the Hobbywing can give temp, motor rpm, and voltage through the WiFi module. If that all works well Iíd spend the extra money, especially if I donít have to buy tqi stuff. I havenít heard great things about the tqi software.

To state is shortly, should I get a sensored Xr8 or just go with the sensorless max8?

Last edited by Rants86; 04-24-2019 at 10:40 AM.

I think you maybe mixing up sensored motor/esc combos with telemetry. Telemetry has sensors but aren't part of the sensored motor/esc combo. Most sensored motor/esc combos use a dedicated system to determining rotor position in relation to the magnets to correctly control the motor at slow speeds and eliminate cogging. Telemetry is a separate system with its own set of sensors. In most cases you can have Telemetry without a sensored motor/esc combo but there are some sets that will output the data gathered from a sensored motor/esc to the Telemetry system for remote viewing via the transmitter or by bluetooth.

RC Competitor

Should I get a Tekin?

Quote Originally Posted by zedorda View Post
    I think you maybe mixing up sensored motor/esc combos with telemetry. Telemetry has sensors but aren't part of the sensored motor/esc combo. Most sensored motor/esc combos use a dedicated system to determining rotor position in relation to the magnets to correctly control the motor at slow speeds and eliminate cogging. Telemetry is a separate system with its own set of sensors. In most cases you can have Telemetry without a sensored motor/esc combo but there are some sets that will output the data gathered from a sensored motor/esc to the Telemetry system for remote viewing via the transmitter or by bluetooth.
    So I just looked on their site and yeah I know itís not a direct replacement for a proper telemetry system but it reports back min voltage, max rpm, max temp, and some other stuff. I donít think I does that in real time but at least it gives some data to monitor you electrics.

RC Competitor
    That would depend on your type of bashing. Do you have a 4x4 that you sometimes take for hikes in the woods? If so, then sensored would be best for the slower areas. If all you do is blast around higher speeds, then go sensorless. Sensored motors are usually not waterproof either, so that's something to consider also. You can use conformal coating on the sensor board and dielectric grease on the sensor port to "waterproof" it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

RC Competitor
    Thanks for everyoneís input! I finally just bit the bullet and bought a Hobbywing Xr8 sensored esc and motor with the WiFi express module. Itís scheduled to be delivered soon and I canít wait to get it in and get out running my slash.

I did want the castle mamba x but didnít want to wait for it, although eventually Iíll probably get one once they come back in stock and the pain from buying the Xr8 slips my memory.

As for the Tekin, Iíve heard mixed things and I guess itís like that with all companies. With Castle, Tekin, and Hobbywing Iíve heard the same thing, some people say the customer service is great and others say they had the worst experiences. The other reason for me not going with Tekin was from what Iíve heard they are alittle harder to program. I just wanted something simple and durable that will hopefully last awhile, something I can just beat the pants off of and not worry about to much.

Anyway thank you all again!

You'll love the combo you got. It's what I'm running in one of my Rustler 4x4s...and, as soon as I have the time to actually solder them up, that's what'll be in my other Rustler 4x4 "project", as well as my Slash 4x4.

RC Qualifier
    If an ESC dies on one of my trucks, I replace it with a hobbywing. They are just very easy to program with the program card.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk