RC Enthusiast

Lots of driveline vibrations

Happy Easter to everyone out there! This may or may not be a dumb question. After working on all of my RC vehicles I give them a test run on my pit stand with the wheels off the ground. When I have the wheels on my Rustler 4x4 VXL there is driveline vibration that starts at the slipper clutch and it feels like it travels through the front and rear diffs all the way to the cv driveshafts. With the wheels OFF while running it on the pit stand everything is as smooth as can be. Could the tires be causing this? They are taller and wider than the wheels on the rest of my 1/10 scale trucks. They are all smooth when I have done this test in the past. So what Im wondering is if the larger wheels and tires on the Rustler 4x4 VXL are the culprit? If anyone has an idea Id love to hear from you about it! Thanks!!

Test 1: ran with tires on and got vibration.
    Test 2: ran with tires off and no vibration.

Conclusion: tires causing vibration.

No matter what brand tires, rims and/or foams you have they will have balance issues. If it is bothersome then you can balance the tires using modeling clay, plumbers putty or golf-club weights to smooth it out.
    The Super Derecho

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks Double G! That makes perfect sense. I feel like a mental midget. You broke it down properly. Test one revealed vibration. Test two (no tires) had no vibration. So it’ gotta be those big chunky tires. I have seven other trucks and this is the first one I’ve ever experienced this issue with. The others all have tires that aren’t so fat and run a lot smoother. I was kinda worried because this is a brand new truck with a good bit of upgrades. Thanks again bro! Have a nice day!