RC Enthusiast

Steering servo question

Hello,

So I blew out the original Traxxas steering servo #2075 very early on and replaced it with:
    Savox SW-0231mg

I have now recently blown the Savox servo...not stripped gears...just 'dead'!
    I contacted Savox to see if they will warranty it?
    Anyone have luck with this from Savox or success rebuilding?

Also any suggestions on a good steering servo for the Slash 2wd VXL?

Thanks in advance for any help...
    -Razzy8

I replaced my 2075 with a savox 0231 last year and its been great. Is there something with the steering thats causing resistance and overworking the servos? What kind of driving do you do?
    Monster Baja Sla2h VXL
    Rustler VXL

Did you set the end points so that the servo doesn't try to overextend at full right/left?
    youtube.com/c/RazorRCvideos

The servo should've lasted alot longer so we need to track down what is going wrong and causing premature servo failure. Please inspect more and provide more detail so we can diagnose the issue.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by RazorRC22 View Post
    Did you set the end points so that the servo doesn't try to overextend at full right/left?
    no...I didn't set the end points...how does one do such a thing?

maybe that was the problem...any help would be appreciated... is the Savox SW-0231 as good a servo as any for this application

Thanks
    -Razzy8

RC Qualifier
    Also check to see if your steering is free and not binding with the servo removed.
    trinity 6cell packs - 5 cells for the price of 6!

Quote Originally Posted by RazorRC22 View Post
    Often overlooked...

Here is the TQi manual, setting the endpoints is on Pg 10.

https://traxxas.com/sites/default/fi...ual-120130.pdf

You want the endpoints set so that at full throw on the remote steering wheel (full left or right), there is just a hint of servo whine when the RC's steering is in the stops.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenmtb View Post
    Also check to see if your steering is free and not binding with the servo removed.
    Yup, you always want to do this when servo is disconnected to make sure nothing is binding. The steering should be able to move full left and right very loosely with no binding or hitches.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    Often overlooked...

Here is the TQi manual, setting the endpoints is on Pg 10.

https://traxxas.com/sites/default/fi...ual-120130.pdf

You want the endpoints set so that at full throw on the remote steering wheel (full left or right), there is just ya hint of servo whine when the RC's steering is in the stops.
    Thanks Greatscott & others, I did in fact overlook this with the original and the upgraded Savo servo.
    I will be sure to do this with the new servo.
    Do you think that this could’ve caused the servo to just “die “?
    What happens to these servos when they stop working? Is there a capacitor inside that blows?
    Is this what “servo savers “are designed to minimize?
    Thanks again for all your help.

There are a number of things that can kill a servo...

If you do not set the endpoints right, you have a good chance of driving the servo into your steering stops, which basically overdrives it and burns up the motor or the control board.

If that did not do it, then there could be something in the servo that was defective. Or, the servo saver, for what ever reason, did not do its job and the servo took a direct shock.

Some servos have a resistor that can burn out when it goes over current (i.e.: not setting the end points and driving it into the stops). It is a soldered in surface mount, it is possible to replace, but you really need to have the right skills to replace it successfully.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    There are a number of things that can kill a servo...

If you do not set the endpoints right, you have a good chance of driving the servo into your steering stops, which basically overdrives it and burns up the motor or the control board.

If that did not do it, then there could be something in the servo that was defective. Or, the servo saver, for what ever reason, did not do its job and the servo took a direct shock.

Some servos have a resistor that can burn out when it goes over current (i.e.: not setting the end points and driving it into the stops). It is a soldered in surface mount, it is possible to replace, but you really need to have the right skills to replace it successfully.
    Thanks Greatscott...
    So I was able to get a hold of Savox and they sent me a new servo under warranty....
    They didn't say what happened but I assumed the servo was defective or I burned out a resistor or something as you said!

I did set the endpoints as you suggested...I hope this helps in the future...thanks for the advice on that!

So, silly Noob question but "what is a 'servo-saver' and what brand/type do you recommend?"

I would appreciate your (or anyone's) suggestion for this 2wd Slash VXL or my E-revo 2.0 VXL (newest addition)...I realize this is a dual steering servo...I can ask in that forum thread if necessary...

Thanks again
    -Razzy

RC Qualifier
    KST servos make great servos for pretty cheap. I use them for racing and haven’t had one go dead yet. (If the savox dies again and you are looking for options) I’ve had savox’s and many others die on me. Let’s just say I have a lot of servos. Over 20 sounds right... I don’t really keep count
    Last edited by EvHexRC; 05-03-2019 at 10:05 PM.
    $+RC+more$+friends+more$=FUN!
    YouTube: EvHexRC1