RC poster

Wires unsoldering and don't know why, please help

I bought a traxxas slash 4x4 platinum edition in August and now every couple of runs I do my wires get un soldered. I use the stock gearing on 2s and run it on my track at my house. Yes I have tried several different lipos and it does it on all. I have no idea what is going on so if one of you guys know please help me, thanks

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by RcBashers View Post
    I bought a traxxas slash 4x4 platinum edition in August and now every couple of runs I do my wires get un soldered. I use the stock gearing on 2s and run it on my track at my house. Yes I have tried several different lipos and it does it on all. I have no idea what is going on so if one of you guys know please help me, thanks
    Resistance will build up heat to the point it will melt solder. Either your wires are too small of gauge, poor quality terminals on your battery/esc or bad solder joints could be the cause of this. You say you've tried different batteries so i'm assuming you're having connector problems and not motor terminal problems.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

RC Competitor
    Depending on the alloy used, solder melts at 360 to 370 degrees F. If your wires are getting hot enough to melt solder, either they or your connectors are definitely WAY too small for the application.

On the other hand, bad solder joints separate with minimal fuss as a result of vibration. Have you watched any YT videos on soldering technique? My guess is that you are getting cold solder joints that seem OK to you when you resolder them, but those joints are mechanically breaking from impact and vibration forces when you drive the truck. If you are sure your soldering technique is good, then there is resistance somewhere in the path the electrons are taking to or from the problem joint, possibly from inadequate connector capacity, inadequate wire current carrying capacity, mechanical damage to wires, etc.

But if it were happening to me, I would suspect my own soldering technique first.

Where are the wires coming apart at?

If they are coming apart at the ESC/Motor connection (on the ESC or motor), most likely your motor is bad. It is pulling too much current, causing your solder connections to act like fuses.

If they are coming apart on the battery side, at the ESC or battery connector, then the problem could be the motor, but most likely a failing FET on the ESC.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

Are you using an adapter on the batt/esc connection? Those are known to create resistance/heat
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl