RC poster

Help on picking new car

I currently have a rustler xl-5 with a 2s lipo, and I'm currently looking for a second car so my kids can run the rustler while I run with something else mostly in our front yard on the street through the grass. There are too many options for the slash for me to decide which one I should go with.

For my birthday I received a $100 gift card to the local hobby shop, so I want to buy something out of their inventory, and I can't break the bank at $500 or anything, so I'm trying to chose which would be the best to buy as an upgradeable car. The vxl and the xl-5 4x4 seem to be about the same price point. Which way do you guys think I should go?

RC Qualifier
    Vxl Slash 2wd, throw on an lcg chassis and let it rip. I drive my brushless monster slash 2wd more than anything else in my fleet. It is the most fun truck that I have. I prefer 2wd because I think it's more fun, and there's less parts to break. They're also much easier to work on than a 4X4

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

RC Competitor
    To add into the 2wd drive answer, you can keep running 2s on the slash 2wd and it'll rip, where as the 4x4 you'll be wanting to step up to 3s, which means even more money in upgrades. I have two 2 wheel drive vehicles for my son and I, and they are perfect. I almost bought a 4x4 slash for me, but then it'll be too different in handling to be fair when we do some little back yard races.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    This is just me talking and my own opinion. But the 2wd drive line up uses a lot of the same parts. Buy spare parts for one can be used on another. Upgrading 2 drive shafts to something like MIP's vs the cost for four for the 4x4. Run something like the VXL in the 2wd Slash or Rustler vs. running in the 4X4 then wanting more like the people on here do spend money on 4s and up Castle systems and the like. If the Rustler is all you have and you have kids (not just one) grab a 2wd Slash for now IMHO. Invest in a 4X4 now or later that's up to you could always leave a 2wd Slash and Rustler for the kids then daddy get his own toy to mess around with later (hand me down them the Slash if or when you get bored of it).

Good luck with your decision!

Get the 2wd vxl
    Monster Baja Sla2h VXL
    Rustler VXL

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by NYbandit33 View Post
    Get the 2wd vxl
    Agreed. 2wd vxl slash.

RC Competitor
    Between me and my kids the fleet includes one Sl2sh, three Sl4shes (a rally conversion, a Raptor conversion, and a monster slash) and two P2des. I love the 4wd trucks and they are my favorite to run. However, the 2wd Slash is such a well designed nice handling and capable rig that it would be doing you a disservice to recommend anything else, particularly given your intended use. The incremental cost and hassle of the 4wd is not worth it the vast majority of the time, and the 2wd is a really sweet vehicle.

RC poster
    Thanks so much for the great feedback guys. Slam dunk, 2wd vxl slash it is!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by rain11111 View Post
    Thanks so much for the great feedback guys. Slam dunk, 2wd vxl slash it is!
    You won't be disappointed with this truck, especially if you put the lcg chassis on it. It just makes it handle so much better.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by MaXDee View Post
    You won't be disappointed with this truck, especially if you put the lcg chassis on it. It just makes it handle so much better.
    I bought my 2wd slash vxl lcg and finally got a second battery so I could run both my cars at once. Had a great time with them this weekend at a family gathering, until they crashed into each other and both front right caster block pins got blown out. Got them both repaired and just running them last night in my front yard for one of the first times and I have a feeling I'm going to be needing a third car. My kids did not do well sharing the rustler. The slash is flying out there. Thank you all for the advice, I'm loving it.