RC Racer

Slash 4x4 shocks on 2wd Rustler

New to the forum although I have read more than my fair share in the past. I have a 2wd rustler VXL with a bent rear shock shaft. Iím considering upgrading but I have a set of shocks from my 4x4 slash. Iíve read conflicting posts. Just curious if I can swap the shaft or just put the complete shock in place? Iím not opposed to buying GTRs to get the stronger shafts but Iíve read that they require modifications. If I have a shock that will work I might as well try it right?

RC Qualifier
    take one, tear it apart, and try it. The hobby is all about experimenting.
    Brushless RiPs Nitro Drips.

If you are wanting to put the GTR shocks on the rustler, the rear shocks will go on without any problems. The only modification that needs to be done on the front shock is replacing the hollow balls as the ones that are already on the GTR shocks are too wide to fit into the front A-arms. You can reuse the hollow balls from your existing shocks from the rustler, and it is a pretty easy process, just youtube it *Traxxas replacing hollow balls*. You may also need to cut 2-3mm from the front of the body as the Shocks may interfere with the body.
    I took the GTR's from my slash 4x4 ultimate and it has worked perfectly!
    Good luck
    I ask way to many questions

RC Racer
    Thanks for the info. Sounds like I’ll be ordering a set of GTRs and trying the slash shock as a temporary fix. Do the stock springs fit on the GTR shock bodies??

RC Racer
    Nvm. Stock springs don’t fit. Since these are for a heavier slash I’d assume I need to find the softer Traxxas gtr springs for the rusty? The green vg racing springs would look sweet on my rig but I’m thinking they might be too stiff.
    I should mention I’m just bashing around my yard. No speed runs. Mostly just running in the grass and mulch and jumping around.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Trojan366 View Post
    Nvm. Stock springs don’t fit. Since these are for a heavier slash I’d assume I need to find the softer Traxxas gtr springs for the rusty? The green vg racing springs would look sweet on my rig but I’m thinking they might be too stiff.
    I should mention I’m just bashing around my yard. No speed runs. Mostly just running in the grass and mulch and jumping around.
    Have you managed to find some springs you are happy with? I'm about to buy the GTR shocks for my Rusty VXL and don't know what springs to get
    Rustler VXL

RC Racer
    I just ordered. Set of slash 4x4 take offs. They are complete with springs but they will most likely be too stiff. Still looking for advice on springs.
    Slash 4x4
    Rustler VXLs

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Iím pretty sure the GTR blues are heavier than the blacks. I found them to squat too much for me, but my Rustler is heavier than most.

RC Racer
    Little update. I am trying the orange traxxas GTR springs up front. They are the softest rate traxxas has available. I will update once I have a bit more run time on them. The first 2 minute test really seemed to help the steering but I wasn't able to jump it at all.
    Slash 4x4
    Rustler VXLs