Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    RC poster

Weights of Nihm batteries

Hi everyone. First post in a long time. I used to have gas trucks. Did a little racing, a little bashing and spent way too much on them. After a hiatus. I'm back, and going electric this time around. So I have some learning to do on that end. My question is. Is it normal for Nihm packs to have a big weight difference. I bought 2 trucks. With th stock 7 cell Nihm. And was just getting some baseline e weights. Pack 1 weighed 399 grams. Pack 2 weighed 429 grams. Is there normally that much variation ? I've already ordered Lipos and a charger for both trucks. So I'm curious to see if there is a big weight difference in the 2 lipo packs as well.

RC poster
    Just an update if anyone is curious about the weights. I got the Traxxas 2s 5800 Lipos with a Live dual charger. The App is pretty cool btw. I like it.
    Anyway. Lipo pack 1 weighed in at 303, and Lipo pack 2 weighed in at 304. They were nearly identical. So just the switch from Nihm to Lipo took a minimum of 2 OZ off the truck. Only bashed a little with my son before I lost a spring Perch. Nihm was dead, Lipo was still going strong. Off to look up some part numbers.

RC poster
    If they're different capacities then yes they'll have a weight difference. For example my 5000 mah NIMH packs weigh more then my 3000 mah NIMH packs. Both are 7 cell BTW. But when it comes to the weight of similar packs like two 3000 mah packs they seem pretty evenly matched.

If both packs work the same then I wouldn't worry about it. It could be the vender(s) that Traxxas gets their cells from, maybe what you have it two packs with the same capacity but the cells are just from two different companies.

RC poster
    Both Nihms were the stock batteries that come with the trucks. No worries. Was just curious because it seemed odd. One of the batteries does last noticeably longer. By maybe 5 minutes or so. Not sure if that's the heavier one or not. The Traxxas App shows the Nihms as having 9.6 Volts when totally charged too. But Ive moved on to the Lipos. Wich so far are great. They last longer, and charge faster. Not to mention being significantly lighter.