RC Enthusiast

VXL esc thermal cut-off right away?

Hey guys, I didn't see a section in the forums directly related to the Velinion brushless systems so since the issue is with my slash 4x4 I figured this was the safest option. Now onto the real issue:

My slash is only about 3 months old (absolutely love this thing), but last week I took it out for a spin. I started off with a 2s 5200mah Lectron Pro (don't remember the C rating off the top of my head) and all other electronics are bone-stock. I slowly accelerated down the track, but when I turned the corner and punched it, the motor cut out (still had steering)... The esc was flashing red, but nothing was hot or seemed to have any issues. I figured it was a battery issue so I swapped in my 3s Lectron Pro 5200mah, same thing... I tried my last battery for kicks (another 2s Lectron Pro) and it worked fine! Immediately I thought I had two bad batteries. But when I tested the two "bad" batteries, each cell had 4.2V... I asked my LHS the next day and he said that he's seen the Velinion escs fail where it thinks that there is an overheating problem when there really isn't and the only thing to do was replace it. I was literally seconds from pulling the trigger on a Sidewinder 3 and am glad I didn't. I tried the stock esc again a few days later and the truck drove fine for all 3 batteries.... Has anyone had/seen this happen before? Trying to figure out if I need to just bite the bullet and replace it, mainly out of fear that it'll act up again during a race...

Thanks in advance,
    T

Was it flashing red slowly or fast? I believe fast is thermal shutdown stage 1, slow is lipo cut off.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by FnFancy; 04-24-2019 at 04:38 PM.
    Its alright son I'll fix it when you break it

RC Enthusiast
    Ya know I honestly don't remember... I was assuming thermal shutdown based off what my LHS told me and it was a guy I actually trust and not just some salesman. Not to say that he's perfect, but I trust that he's relatively knowledgable.

I'm hoping that it was just a 1 time fluke and I probably would have dismissed it as such already if it hadn't happened to 2 batteries.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by FnFancy View Post
    Was it flashing red slowly or fast? I believe fast is thermal shutdown stage 1, slow is lipo cut off.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    I encountered the slow flashing before and it is definitely the lipo cut off.

RC Enthusiast
    It very well may have been the lipo cut-off, but it didn't make sense as the cells all read 4.2V. I've had it out at the track twice this week for about a 1-2 hours at a time with no issue. It must have just been a fluke, but was curious to see if anyone else had experienced this problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Wasted_Wages View Post
    It very well may have been the lipo cut-off, but it didn't make sense as the cells all read 4.2V. I've had it out at the track twice this week for about a 1-2 hours at a time with no issue. It must have just been a fluke, but was curious to see if anyone else had experienced this problem.
    I'm happy that you were able to get up and running again. If you have the same problem again, I would give Traxxas support a call.
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC Enthusiast
    I am too! I figured worst case I'll send it in for the "warranty" repair, I think it's ~$60 for them to fix it if I remember correctly. Better than buying a new vxl esc.... But I'll be upgrading the system sometime this summer anyways so the vxl system will become the back-up.

Thanks everyone for trying to help sort this out!

RC Competitor
    Ive had this problem before when I first got my slash 4x4 3 years ago with a 3s 5000mah battery. How I fixed it was to have a ESC fan and a motor fan to keep the electronics cool. I also find if you are using a 3s battery the motor and esc tend to heat up very quickly while driving normally and also punching it. If you are a trigger happy person I would recommend getting fans or constantly check the temps.

If it's your motor heating up check if the screws are the right length (make sure to have the right motor screws having screws that are too long will cause your motor to bind and heat up. Ive learned the hard way) if it is the screws that are too long will may be the issue with the overheating. If the problem is the ESC either take to your LHS or contact Traxxas for warranty.

I recommend this ESC
    https://www.hobbywingdirect.com/prod...nt=20187925828

Hopefully you can solve your issue
    604Slash4x4
    Gone Bashing