RC Qualifier

Is MAX6 really needed any more?

With the Traxxas VXL-8S ESC and the updates it has had to date, would you say the Max 6 still provides a drastic enough improvement to justify the cost??

I know the cost could be offset by selling the VXL-8S but I'm in two minds as to whether to 'upgrade' to the Max6 or not.

Will I achieve a noticeable enough difference in power delivery and general running of the truck?

Truck is used for general runs on grass/dirt etc. Only light bashing.

My plan was to keep the VXL-8S until it dies, then replace with a Max6 - but am I missing out?

Quote Originally Posted by IftiBashir View Post
    My plan was to keep the VXL-8S until it dies, then replace with a Max6.
    That's what I'd do. I'd also run it on 6s, and gear it accordingly. Then/when/if you blow a motor or ESC I'd change both your motor and ESC to a system that would have better reliability to what ever I wanted to run, 6s or 8s.
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 04-26-2019 at 03:18 AM.
    The ReglarGuy is kid tested and father approved.

RC Enthusiast

Just max 5

Quote Originally Posted by ReglarGuy View Post
    That's what I'd do. I'd also run it on 6s, and gear it accordingly. Then/when/if you blow a motor or ESC I'd change both your motor and ESC to a system that would have better reliability to what ever I wanted to run, 6s or 8s.
    I have v1 xmaxx 6s with harder 8s drive train.still running 1600 kv motor.any advantage to using max5 esc instead of max 6? On my second max 6 esc,1st one develop Alzheimer's

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by smax View Post
    I have v1 xmaxx 6s with harder 8s drive train.still running 1600 kv motor.any advantage to using max5 esc instead of max 6? On my second max 6 esc,1st one develop Alzheimer's
    I doubt the stock motor is more than a 160amp motor. But that fact will tell you if youd benefit from upsizing your esc.

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    My buddy just got a used, recent 8s xmaxx In a great trade. I've talked him out of buying the max 6 from jump. We just updated all the firmware and it's running nice and smooth. From what I've witnessed, the 8s motor with the max 6 is no more powerful than my almost 3 yr old 8s esc.

Update the firmware...
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

RC Qualifier
    Thanks - Ive updated all firmwares etc, and think I'll run as it is for now

RC Enthusiast

Street tire

Quote Originally Posted by IftiBashir View Post
    Thanks - Ive updated all firmwares etc, and think I'll run as it is for now
    Seen your street tires in another thread,how do you like them? How are they wearing?co.says lighter wheel an they are making off road belted also.

RC Racer
    Here's my experience:

On my first (original) 6S X-Maxx, I changed to the MAX 6 to run much taller gearing on 6S and to 'awaken the beast'.
    And compared to that tiny one-time VXL-6S from the 'V1' X-Maxx, it was night and day, and made it a different truck entirely.

On my 'V2' 8S X-Maxx, I used the the VXL-8S for some time. Reading forums too much, foremost about all sorts of VXL-8S failures, I then changed again to the MAX 6, and ran it for some time.
    All the while the VXL-8S never failed me, but I guess I was like 'better safe than sorry'.

However, as opposed to the 6S X-Maxx, I didn't really notice any power increase at all (or not enough for ME to notice), and then came along that big VXL-8S telemetry enabling firmware update, so I could get rid of a lot of extra sensors and wires.
    Add on top that the VXL-8S never failed me, and I started to regret selling it.
    Sure, you can program the MAX 6 in detail, but I myself do that once and then never touch it again. Also no need for a bec greater than 6V.

So I bought a new one, and replaced the MAX 6 with it. Love the built-in ESC temp, amps and voltage, and rpm telemetry.

Running 8S 7500 mAh packs, 22/46 gearing, speed runs, bashing, jumping. WOT on grass, dirt, etc. Even fond of using self righting at times. Motor and esc temps peaking at about 176 *F. Should be all fine.

Long story short: I really like the VXL-8S. For me no big difference in performance vs. MAX 6. Still going strong.
    I guess I shouldn't read problem stories on forums that much anymore (of course mostly people with problems post there).

Now I just hope I didn't jinx it!
    Last edited by Tjon; 04-29-2019 at 08:03 AM.
    B/R JEREMY.

RCblog.nl Summit●ERevo2●X-MAXX●MAXX

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by smax View Post
    Seen your street tires in another thread,how do you like them? How are they wearing?co.says lighter wheel an they are making off road belted also.
    Ah, they weren't mine - I was quoting another post asking how they were as I was interested in them too!!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Tjon View Post
    Here's my experience:

On my first (original) 6S X-Maxx, I changed to the MAX 6 to run much taller gearing on 6S and to 'awaken the beast'.
    And compared to that tiny one-time VXL-6S from the 'V1' X-Maxx, it was night and day, and made it a different truck entirely.

On my 'V2' 8S X-Maxx, I used the the VXL-8S for some time. Reading forums too much, foremost about all sorts of VXL-8S failures, I then changed again to the MAX 6, and ran it for some time.
    All the while the VXL-8S never failed me, but I guess I was like 'better safe than sorry'.

However, as opposed to the 6S X-Maxx, I didn't really notice any power increase at all (or not enough for ME to notice), and then came along that big VXL-8S telemetry enabling firmware update, so I could get rid of a lot of extra sensors and wires.
    Add on top that the VXL-8S never failed me, and I started to regret selling it.
    Sure, you can program the MAX 6 in detail, but I myself do that once and then never touch it again. Also no need for a bec greater than 6V.

So I bought a new one, and replaced the MAX 6 with it. Love the built-in ESC temp, amps and voltage, and rpm telemetry.

Running 8S 7500 mAh packs, 22/46 gearing, speed runs, bashing, jumping. WOT on grass, dirt, etc. Even fond of using self righting at times. Motor and esc temps peaking at about 176 *F. Should be all fine.

Long story short: I really like the VXL-8S. For me no big difference in performance vs. MAX 6. Still going strong.
    I guess I shouldn't read problem stories on forums that much anymore (of course mostly people with problems post there).

Now I just hope I didn't jinx it!
    Brill, thanks for the confirmation!

Running 8S 7500 mAh packs, 22/46 gearing, speed runs, bashing, jumping. WOT on grass, dirt, etc. Even fond of using self righting at times. Motor and esc temps peaking at about 176F. Should be all fine.
    I don't want to be a damp rag or anything, but 176F is very close to being to high. Remember, I'm just trying to be helpful mind you when I say this, but I'd shoot for trying to get your temps between 120 to 140F for both your motor and ESC. A 140 degrees is the high end temp for ESC and motor longevity. At 180 degrees, you can run with that, but throw your longevity away. As an example my Xmaxx temps runs at: motor 103, ESC 118, and batteries at 122.
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 04-29-2019 at 08:57 AM.
    The ReglarGuy is kid tested and father approved.