RC Racer

My Rustler VXL "build"

New to the forum although I have used the site as a resource for a while now. Figured I would post a thread following the progress of my 2wd Rustler VXL w/ TSM. Bought the car with the 3s Lipo and installed a few of these parts before ever running it stock. I figure it was easier to upgrade first and have a couple spares in the case of breakage. Nothing ground breaking but it should help me keep track of what I've done to the car and might help some newbies like me pick out parts.

What's Done So Far:
    Traxxas 4000mah and 5000mah 3c Lipos
    RPM Green A-Arms Front and Rear
    RPM Green Front Bumper
    RPM Green Gear Cover
    Traxxas Blue Aluminum Caster Blocks
    Traxxas Blue Aluminum Steering Blocks
    Traxxas Blue Aluminum Rear Stub Axle Carriers
    Traxxas Blue Aluminum Toe Links
    Traxxas Blue Aluminum Camber Links
    Traxxas Blue Aluminum Shock Caps
    Traxxas Blue Serrated Wheels Nuts
    Traxxas Wheelie Bar w/ Blue Aluminum Wheels
    ProLine 2.8" Badlands on Desperado Wheels
    Velineon ESC Fan

At this point the car rips pretty good. I have an Integy heatsink on it's way for the motor just to add a bit more cooling. I will most likely end up with a smaller pinion gear since the 2.8s put a lot of load on the motor. Any setup tips and tricks would be appreciated! After that I will see what breaks and replace as needed. Most likely the driveshafts or shock towers but we shall see.

Looks good!
    Monster Baja Sla2h VXL
    Rustler VXL

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Seems like a well thought out vehicle. Nice work.

RC Qualifier
    Looks good!
    Life, Liberty, and the persuit of RC domination!! Saving the world, one twinky at a time.

RC Racer
    Thanks guys. This thing is a ton of fun and seems to be a bit less maintenance than my Slash 4x4. With all these speed builds I might need to get some street tires and see what she will do with the tall gears I have.
    Slash 4x4
    Rustler VXLs

RC Enthusiast
    Cool truck.

Mine's similar, but not as nice. I went to 32p gears as the 48p tended to strip. I use 2.8 trenchers and a smaller pinion but it still just wheelies everywhere.

Broke a standard driveshaft and fitted the Slash 6582x heavy duty version. A cheap and easy upgrade.

Sent from my S55 using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    Ordered myself a 2s 5800mah battery. Hoping it will keep temps under control and keep me from breaking so many parts lol. Hoping rpm rod ends help keep the camber links in one piece. Broken 2 fronts and one rear so far.
    Slash 4x4
    Rustler VXLs

RC Racer
    great job!

RC Racer
    Camber link got lost in transit but I had a stock one to run for a bit. Got my 2s battery in the mail and it is much more manageable but a lot less fun haha. Ran that for a bit then went back to 3s. Decided I would try and backflip off the little plastic skateboard ramp I have. Took a couple tries but got them down pretty consistently. Landed upside down and was sliding and decided to hold it wide open then brake to get it to roll. Turns out the rear axle wasnít a fan of that. Luckily I had a spare stock slash axle. Fit right in and we are back in action. This thing is way more challenging to drive than my hot rod slash 4x4 but a ton of fun.
    Slash 4x4
    Rustler VXLs

RC poster
    I was curious how those tires are holding up so far? I was looking at getting a set and I can see how much larger they are then the stock size

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    So far so good. The rears are definitely wearing but I only run it on 3s and I love wide open throttle. I also don’t hesitate to open it up on the asphalt. They only appear a bit taller than the stock tires when you put them side by side but they definitely increased the ride height a bit which was a plus for me.
    Slash 4x4
    Rustler VXLs

RC Racer
    Bent another rear shock shaft today. I think I have one more spare from my slash 4x4 but will most likely need t do something here for the future. Proline Powerstrokes or GTRs and if the vote is for the GTR are the vg racing springs the best bet?

Looks like I can get a new set of blue slash 4x4 ultimate takeoffs for $69 with springs. I’m assuming the slash springs are too heavy for the 2wd rusty?
    Last edited by Trojan366; 05-14-2019 at 09:41 PM.
    Slash 4x4
    Rustler VXLs

RC Racer
    Ordered GTRs and a fiberglass front shock tower. Going to figure out springs once the shocks are here.
    Slash 4x4
    Rustler VXLs

Quote Originally Posted by Trojan366 View Post
    Ordered GTRs and a fiberglass front shock tower. Going to figure out springs once the shocks are here.
    Cool! Did you get a fiberglass tower off of the traxxas site?
    MTFBWY

RC Racer
    Found one on eBay for like 6 bucks. Hopefully it works out.
    Slash 4x4
    Rustler VXLs

what color is it? That should be more rigid than the current stock plastic! Cool upgrade (used to be stock ) You'll need some shock "standoffs":

MTFBWY

RC Racer
    Just black. It is a Traxxas part but I’m not sure they still make them. I was going to get carbon but couldn’t find them I’m stock anywhere.
    Slash 4x4
    Rustler VXLs

that fiber glass tower will be great...durable and sligtly flexible. Carbon parts are available as well.
    MTFBWY

RC Racer
    New to the forum...
    ditto my brother from another...

I bought the rpm extended/offset arms today but sure I want to put them on yet/ My Pro-Line Road Rage have the new hubs I can change and these haven't been in the skate park yet........

haven't even put the tall gear in it, can't find it. will be buying a replacement/included tall gear and the taller optional soon I think. I have a big medical complex near me with one huge lot I think I can use safely evenings and weekends.
    Last edited by fozzy71; 05-17-2019 at 11:33 PM.

RC Racer
    I wish I had bought a set of the extended a arms when I first set the car up. I will probably wait until I burn up the current rear tires and then pick up a set. That way I can rotate them in the future. It will also allow me to run the tires on my slash 4x4.
    Slash 4x4
    Rustler VXLs

RC Racer
    I wish I had bought a set of the extended a arms when I first set the car up. I will probably wait until I burn up the current rear tires and then pick up a set. That way I can rotate them in the future. It will also allow me to run the tires on my slash 4x4.
    yeah I wish the guy selling me all the parts had mentioned the option. now I have to tear the whole front end back apart to replace something I just installed a couple weeks ago. It did good on the street last night. I am off right now to try the skate park if it isn't too busy. I think narrower in the front will be better if I were to turn this into a drag/speed car but I think I should put them on this and keep it as a park/track basher and build a street car up from a bandit roller and slash lcg chassis. It will prolly get the same aluminum/rpm bits but in a different color.

edit: adjusting the toe/camber for the longer arms might be a bit of a pain for me as a newbie

RC Racer
    I’m not sure the stock camber and toe links can be adjusted that much. According to rpm you have to buy longer links.
    Slash 4x4
    Rustler VXLs

RC Racer
    I’m not sure the stock camber and toe links can be adjusted that much. According to rpm you have to buy longer links.
    oh right, that makes sense. thanks for pointing that out. I wish the dolt at the hobby would have known that and told me. Good thing I didn't jump right into it yesterday. I just ordered some rc screwz for it and shipping might take a week according to amazon for some reason. My screwz for my slash 4x4 ultimate came here in a day at least so I can start the rebuild of that tomorrow when it's rainy out.

RC Racer
    Installed the rear shocks and got to work on the fronts. Swapped the stock lower pillow balls and installed the new shock tower. I am going to use a set of pillow balls as spacers for the top of the shocks. Had to order some 3x30mm screws and lock nuts. Didn’t have any hardware long enough to pass through the shock, spacer, tower and body mount.
    Slash 4x4
    Rustler VXLs

RC Racer
    Ordered a set of Integy shock spacers to tidy things up. Hopefully I have all the parts this week.

Slash 4x4
    Rustler VXLs

RC Racer
    I need to get me a set of those shocks on my rustler, that is one of the few things I haven't upgraded yet.

RC Racer
    Had a few minutes to button up the GTR shocks along with a set of Traxxas CV axles and an RPM wheelie bar mount. I have some shock spacers on their way but these spare pillow balls seem to be working for the time being. I have the preload set front and rear so that the car lands with level A arms front and rear when dropped from about 18 inches. There is a decent amount of preload required in the rear but the stock slash 4x4 springs in the front mean I have next to no preload at all. It seems to ride much better overall than with the stock shocks but still pushes like crazy. What can I do to get rid of some of this oversteer??

Slash 4x4
    Rustler VXLs

RC Racer
    Ordered a set of ďOrangeĒ Traxxas GTR springs. Hoping the softer rate helps with understeer and letís me add a little bit of preload. Also added an ounce of weight under the shock tower. It isnít much but seems to help keep the front end from pushing.

Edit. Meant to say understeer in the last post. I am hoping to set it up to get a tiny bit of oversteer if anything.
    Last edited by Trojan366; 05-25-2019 at 12:35 PM.
    Slash 4x4
    Rustler VXLs

RC Racer
    Springs made a huge difference! The front end is much more planted and will actually steers under part throttle. I have a bit more adjusting to do but if anyone is looking to run GTR shocks on the Rustler, the black slash 4x4 rear springs and orange front springs should get you pretty darn close.
    Slash 4x4
    Rustler VXLs