RC poster

My 1/10 Rally build from chassis

Hello all! I am new not only to the forum, but to the rc world as of 6 months ago. I started with a Stampede 4x4 brushless, acquired more “handyman specials” along the way, and decided to build one from scratch. I decided on a 1/10 Rally, and have dumped time and money into making this thing pretty cool (in my opinion as a noob). I will be posting pictures of what I have so far, as I’m probably 90-95% complete. Please give any insight into things you see I did wrong, things I could so better, overall great convo about this fun hobby! Parts list is below.

Parts so far:
    Traxxas Slash/Rally 4x4 LCG Chassis
    RC Screwz set for 1/10 Rally VXL
    Integy Front and Rear Aluminum Bulkheads
    Integy Front and Rear Aluminum Shock Towers
    Integy Front and Rear L/R Aluminum Control Arms
    Integy Aluminum Steering Knuckles and Bearing Carriers
    Front and Rear ProLine Powerstroke Shocks
    MIP X-Duty CVD drive shafts Front and Rear
    Traxxas stock Front And Rear Differentials
    Traxxas 1/10 Rally VXL Bumpers and Body Mounts
    Tekno Big Bone Center Driveshaft
    Integy Aluminum Electronics/Receiver Box and Battery Hold-down
    Integy Aluminum LCG Motor Mount
    Integy Aluminum Motor Heatsink
    Integy Steel 54t Spur Gear
    Traxxas Velineon 3500 with VXL-3s ESC
    Integy Chassis Stand-off/handles
    Hot Racing Aluminum Steering Bellcrank
    Traxxas 1/10 Rally VXL Wheels and Tires (Black)
    GPM Aluminum Servo Horn
    Hitec HS-7955TG Steering Servo
    Fast Eddy Bearings throughout

RC poster

Last edited by 1:1Grunt; 04-27-2019 at 03:42 PM.

RC poster

I would add several tubes of blue thread lock or maybe try getting it by the pint. You might want more power than a stock Velineon because all that aluminum is heavy, about double the stock plastic. You will be taking a stock 4lb car and making it a 6lb car. Those stock diffs might need some attention hauling all that bulk like some XO-1 guts. Unless she is going to be just a shelf queen then no worries.
    Last edited by zedorda; 04-27-2019 at 04:12 PM.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by zedorda View Post
    I would add several tubes of blue thread lock or maybe try getting it by the pint. You might want more power than a stock Velineon because all that aluminum is heavy, about double the stock plastic. You will be taking a stock 4lb car and making it a 6lb car. Those stock diffs might need some attention hauling all that bulk like some XO-1 guts. Unless she is going to be just a shelf queen then no worries.
    Great point with the power plant. I plan on testing and experimenting initially with this sticker PP, and then moving up to, probably, a CC-2650kv and MX or MMX setup. More of a have and not need than need and not have scenario. I have used quite a bit of lock tight as the very first aluminum part I replaced on my Stampede 4x4 came right off the first run hahaha. Wise advice, tho. I will look into the CO-1 diff guts. Will they fit in the stocker housing? I’ll do my research. Thanks for the advice!

RC poster
    Unless she is going to be just a shelf queen then no worries.
    Maybe, we will see. I let loose with no regard when I actually get out to play, but I really enjoy the building/tinkering aspect of the hobby.

Quote Originally Posted by 1:1Grunt View Post
    Maybe, we will see. I let loose with no regard when I actually get out to play, but I really enjoy the building/tinkering aspect of the hobby.
    Then go with plastic arms. Integy may look pretty but as soon as it is installed - or at least out of the package - the warranty is zero and you'll learn that their quality is subpar and their customer service worse than that.
    The Super Derecho

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    Then go with plastic arms. Integy may look pretty but as soon as it is installed - or at least out of the package - the warranty is zero and you'll learn that their quality is subpar and their customer service worse than that.
    Thanks for the tip.

RC poster
    Update:

Took it outside for a short test drive. Just to see if there was any binding, crazy sounds, etc... Turns out there is contact being made between the three clutch screws on the spur gear, and the motor mount itself. See pictures below. I took it out and disassembled/reassembled and there is still contact. During the test drive of only 5 minutes, that contact backed one of the three screws out, and it started eating into the metal. Is there a spacer I’m supposed to add? Should I order another slipper/drive/spur assembly of another brand and see if it persists? Another poster eluded to Integy being of a lesser quality, so just asking.

Slash 4x4, Stampede 4x4, Rustler, 1/10 Rally

I would try some button head screws and are you missing the bearing adaptor?

The blue part.
    Last edited by zedorda; 04-28-2019 at 10:08 PM.

RC poster
    I would try some button head screws and are you missing the bearing adaptor?

The blue part.
    I’ll try that out and see if it clears. No, the bearing you see in the photo is the carrier bearing that goes in the motor mount. It just came out on the adapter when I pulled it.

RC poster
    I would try some button head screws

Worked like a charm! Thanks for the tip! Loaded them up with blue loctite just in case!

Awesome happy to help.

Always use thread lock on metal to metal fasteners so good you did but consider it a protocol.
    Last edited by zedorda; 04-28-2019 at 10:36 PM.

RC poster
    consider it a protocol.
    So, that’s actually the first thing I was told when I even broached the topic with a fellow hobbyist. I just didn’t think to do it on the spur gear, for some reason! Lesson learned.

RC poster
    Got the new body in today! These rc bodies are really nice! This is with the standard rally tires and Traxxas Rally wheels in black.

I ordered these cheapie road tires, but will order legit ones with feedback. Any advice on a high quality 1/8 street wheel would be appreciated.

The body sits up high in the front. I’d like it to sit a little lower, but I don’t want to adjust the suspension to the point where it’s constantly scraping the ground. Any ideas?

RC Enthusiast
    I guess I am stating the obvious, but you can lower the the body posts and bring the body down a little. I don't know how much the oversized tires will rub the body. You could think about different tires. Pro-Line use to make a very nice rally tire called "Strikers" and they're still available. They will fit on Traxxas wheels.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by MD6 View Post
    I guess I am stating the obvious, but you can lower the the body posts and bring the body down a little. I don't know how much the oversized tires will rub the body. You could think about different tires. Pro-Line use to make a very nice rally tire called "Strikers" and they're still available. They will fit on Traxxas wheels.
    Thanks for the reply! Regarding the body posts, I find that the rear BP has a lot of vertical adjustability, but the front does not. It would appear I would need to cut the front body posts, from the bottom, to make the ride at the correct height. I did some light trimming of the body to address rub, but in all honesty, it didn’t turn out that bad. I used a 6mm spacer and the fit really well. I will take a look at the proline tires you mentioned and see if they are something I would want. Again, I appreciate your input!