RC poster

Back into RC and enjoying our Upgraded Tetons

Thought I would share what the last few months have brought us.

Years ago while in grade school I was an avid R/C enthusiast. I started with a rustler(loved it), Tamiya Mini Cooper, Nitro Sport and finally an E-Maxx. Then in 2004 I went to college, career, married and now 3 kids and my 5 year old son has been very interested in Monster Trucks.

So naturally, I dig out my old E-Maxx and immediately decide I need an X-Maxx(bought it and I love it, especially after upgrading to a Hobbywing Max5, the stock ESC was a jerky throttle control pain). My son enjoys tagging along and watching but I decided that I really wanted to race with him, after some thought I settled on buying a pair of Tetons.

So now after some upgrades we are really enjoying racing and jumping them together. Stock... of course they were too slow and the run time was too short so experimentation with upgrades began!

1: Glued tires: immediately after purchase

2: installed shocks upside down(on reccomendation that it greatly reduces breakage that is common on the bottom shock ball cups)

3: Tenergy 2S 2200 Mah Lipo's (item# 34117) and dang they fit perfectly in the tray with the factory hold down.

4: Traxxas Titan 7075 380 motors (after my son burned out the stock motor on our 5th outing) I made these fit but didn't like the performance with the stock esc so I ended up replacing them/not using them.

3: Hobbywing EZRun 2030 5200kv brushless motor and 18a ESC with stock 11t pinions: these seem to be the perfect speed for my son at this time, they're quick, controllably fast and definately power efficient(run times increased with the stock NIMH batteries) very enjoyable driving experience with this setup

(on a side note, with the stock motor I noticed regular pinion to spur slippage/grinding in high load situations, this completely disappeared with the brushless setup, my best guess is that the stock motor output shaft could be a softer steel and allowing flex/deviation under high load and thusly allows the pinion to move away from the spur)

5: Hot Racing Metal Spur gear: but have not had a reason to install them yet, in fact with the new motors it may be completely unnecessary.

6: Aluminum 370 motor heat sink: when running in grass the brushless setup did go into thermal protection mode on occasion, thusly I ordered a set of these, applied some thermal paste, slid them over and our overheating problems have not come back.

The stock steering servo has not given us any problems yet and our only broken items have been a pair of front lower control arms and one spur gear.

photos below:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/krHcwi4MLdVpBTYB7
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/8uWsdZ6sXUFFcJMR7
    Last edited by maxximustraxx; 04-27-2019 at 07:14 PM. Reason: photos

RC Racer
    Thanks for the rundown. These are tuff little trucks I love mine so much I've made a small D shaped oval in the back yard.
    I'm still running all stock parts except driveshafts. I go through roughly 1 motor a week despite having a heat sink. Next I plan to add a fan.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Bashnslash View Post
    Thanks for the rundown. These are tuff little trucks I love mine so much I've made a small D shaped oval in the back yard.
    I'm still running all stock parts except driveshafts. I go through roughly 1 motor a week despite having a heat sink. Next I plan to add a fan.
    Have you considered switching to a different motor? Seems that a 45$ brushless motor and esc upgrade would pay for itself in 4-5 weeks.

RC Racer
    I have, I'm concerned about diffs as they seem to be a weak link. I just got a GPM ball diff a couple days ago but I haven't broken one yet so it's still in the packaging.
    I've got the track and truck setup nicely and I can keep the throttle pinned back about 80% of a lap. I might need a little more power to keep the fun going. Then brushed motor seems so hot now with the 9 tooth pinion I don't dare raise that as I can only do about 10 laps before the motor reaches temps around 180 degs, despite the heat sink. I'm getting loads of grip and it seems to generate alotnof heat in the motor.
    Last edited by Bashnslash; 05-12-2019 at 12:32 PM.