RC poster

looking to upgrade to brushless

i've seen a lot of reference to Mamba and Toro, but has anyone had experience with the Hobbywing set up? my friend at work said he loves it. just curious what you guys might think.

also when upgrading to a brushless motor, do i HAVE to change the ESC with it or can i just swap the motor itself? i'm just trying to get more run time out of these things for the kids (6 and 7) through a LiPo upgrade. not concerned with more power whatsoever

also, if there's a way to keep things waterproof that would be amazing! i don't want to seal something off incorrectly and cause some sort of heat issue with the truck

thanks!
    Last edited by les4metal; 04-28-2019 at 04:27 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    I didn't see what forum I was in. I'm an idiot.
    Last edited by t_dogg80; 04-28-2019 at 08:33 PM. Reason: Wrong forum

RC poster
    that bad, huh? maybe i'll just get the Toro then.

RC poster
    posted without quoting, deleted.
    Last edited by maxximustraxx; 05-02-2019 at 06:22 PM.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by les4metal View Post
    i've seen a lot of reference to Mamba and Toro, but has anyone had experience with the Hobbywing set up? my friend at work said he loves it. just curious what you guys might think.

also when upgrading to a brushless motor, do i HAVE to change the ESC with it or can i just swap the motor itself? i'm just trying to get more run time out of these things for the kids (6 and 7) through a LiPo upgrade. not concerned with more power whatsoever

also, if there's a way to keep things waterproof that would be amazing! i don't want to seal something off incorrectly and cause some sort of heat issue with the truck

thanks!
    I've got the Hobbywing EZRun 2030 5200kv brushless motor and 18a ESC with stock 11t pinions: these seem to be the perfect speed for my son at this time, they're quick, controllably fast and definitely power efficient(run times increased with the stock NIMH batteries) very enjoyable driving experience with this setup. I installed a heatsink with thermal paste on the motor due to some running we do in deeper grass, they're cool on smooth surfaces but will overheat in extended grass running.

The hobbywing 2030 motor doesn't fit perfectly into the mount, it requires some dremel usage and tracking down some m2.5 screws and cutting them to a proper length to mount it up, but after that they've been great.

I also use Tenergy 2S 2200 Mah Lipo's (item# 34117) (search on amazon) and dang they fit perfectly in the tray with the factory hold down provide crazy run times and punchier power delivery.
    Last edited by maxximustraxx; 05-02-2019 at 06:24 PM.

RC poster
    Hi!

In the four years I am racing the Teton I have roasted several stock motors. They were cheap (AliExpress) to replace so I never considered upgrading to brushless. Last week I finally roasted the stock ESC. Now I am upgrading to brushless. Watched many videos on YouTube, read countless reviews. I concluded the HobbyWing offers good value for money, so I decided to go with the Hobbywing Ezrun Combo A1 18A 7800kV.

When upgrading to brushless you also need to change the ESC.
    The brushless motor has 3 threads to connect. A brushed motor only 2.

I also expect that I will have to replace the stock differentials. They are made of plastic. Plastic and brushless do not seem to be a good combination. I will probably fry the stock diffs in no time. We'll see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by les4metal View Post

thanks!