RC poster

New Electric owner! Slash 4x4 1/10 scale Big Block brushless motor?

Hello, I just purchased my first electric RC SLASH 4X4 1/10 Scale High-Performance 4X4 Short Course Truck yesterday. So far the truck is fun compare to a road gas car so i don't have to pour gas all the time. Since this is my first truck i came across a 100mph slash 4x4 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86w_7veyBFQ. I notice it has a Traxxas Motor 2200Kv, then did some browsing in Traxxas website looking what the fastest motor out there. The fastest motor i found was Traxxas Big Block brushless motor. Has anyone modify that Big Block into their Slash 4x4? can it be done? Also is there other motor that far faster or more torq to fit into Slash 4x4?
    Last edited by skunkwork209z; 04-30-2019 at 03:17 AM.

RC Qualifier
    The castle creations 2200kv motor and a mamba monster ESC is plenty of torque and power for the slash 4x4. Geared correctly for speed runs it should be able to get close to it not over 100mph on 4-6s. Read the posts about the speed run guys and you’ll see that once you go thus route you have a purpose built vehicle that is no longer able to just bash around with unless you plan on gearing it back down and making some other changes. If you really are dead set on making a speed run vehicle, look into the 4-Tec 2.0 or the XO-1. They are made more for this application and done require such extensive modding to get to or near 100mph. JMHO.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by skunkwork209z View Post
    Hello, I just purchased my first electric RC SLASH 4X4 1/10 Scale High-Performance 4X4 Short Course Truck yesterday. So far the truck is fun compare to a road gas car so i don't have to pour gas all the time. Since this is my first truck i came across a 100mph slash 4x4 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86w_7veyBFQ. I notice it has a Traxxas Motor 2200Kv, then did some browsing in Traxxas website looking what the fastest motor out there. The fastest motor i found was Traxxas Big Block brushless motor. Has anyone modify that Big Block into their Slash 4x4? can it be done? Also is there other motor that far faster or more torq to fit into Slash 4x4?
    If you want to go 6s (which is the norm for speed runners) all you need to do is move your receiver box to the front of the chassis,and move your esc where the box was.Now you can fit bigger motors

Onyx
    I'm Just A Guy With A Sl4sh

RC poster
    thanks for the info, just played just now and notice my alignment is a bit off even i adjust the nob on the remote. But just feel slow and makes me wanna stop playing. But i will upgrade to make it more fun.

RC poster
    Thanks for the info. Has anyone upgrade these model of RC with bigger and faster motor?

Congrats on your purchase and welcome to the Traxxas forums!

For speed, you should check out phildogg's threads for his builds on different platforms:
    https://forums.traxxas.com/search.php?searchid=1073303

On the Slash 4x4 platform, he has hit 168 MPH!
    https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...-New-PB-168mph

Have fun!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC Qualifier
    thanks for the info, just played just now and notice my alignment is a bit off even i adjust the nob on the remote. But just feel slow and makes me wanna stop playing. But i will upgrade to make it more fun.
    What batteries are you using?

Properly geared and with esc and motor fans installed, a stock Sl4sh on 3s is anything but slow. Adding a big motor is going to make it faster but you would lose its agility and will invest more in parts and batteries in addition to motor, motor mount, pinion/spur, and esc.

RC poster
    thanks, i will check your link out.

RC poster
    Im using Traxxas power cell 8.4v 3000mah ID. Today I just upgraded Four new Shock caps blue aluminum, Front Shock Tower blue aluminum, Rear Shock Tower blue aluminum, Rear Carrier stub axle blue aluminum, Front steering blocks blue aluminum, and Front Caster Blocks blue aluminum.

So I do not know what upgrades i can do but i would like to upgrade Motor/ESC, or just do power up Velineon® VXL-3s Brushless Power System with upgrade differen't type of gearing just enough to hit 80mph but not sure what step do i take first.

RC Qualifier
    Im using Traxxas power cell 8.4v 3000mah ID. ...

So I do not know what upgrades i can do but would like to upgrade Motor/ESC, or just do power up Velineon® VXL-3s Brushless Power System with upgrade differen't type of gearing just enough to hit 80mph but not sure what step do i take first.
    Your battery is a, if not the, bottleneck.

Wait, is this a titan 12t/xl-5 ESC model? Go to ebay and search traxxas vxl-3s and you should be able to get brand new rtr take off motor plus ESC for around 130.

RC poster
    that would be Velineon® VXL-3s Brushless Power System power up https://traxxas.com/products/parts/3350R. i can go that route but would that be enough power to push to 80mph?

RC Qualifier
    that would be Velineon® VXL-3s Brushless Power System power up https://traxxas.com/products/parts/3350R. i can go that route but would that be enough power to push to 80mph?
    80mph is beyond what even a stock Ultimate with vxl-3scan do. to get there, you will mostly likely need 1/8 motor+esc, 4s Lipos(maybe some high C 3s can just get you there) new body and bumper since the stock body is not made for speed runs and flies like a shopping bag once you go over 50-60, upgraded differential from your existing brushed slash diffs, potentially stronger f/r driveshafts, LCG conversion since the brushed 4x4s are all HCG and will roll the moment the car strays from straight at those speeds. I’m sure I’ve left lot of stuff out, the best thing to do is in the slash 4x4 forum sort threads by number of replies, and read the ones for speed run set ups and go from there.
    Last edited by TwoBelugas; 05-01-2019 at 02:05 PM.

RC Competitor
    Since this is your first rc, I wouldn't go chasing 80mph. Changing from your current brushed setup with nihm to a stockish size brushless system on 3s, even on 2s, will be night and day difference. I would highly recommend to first go with the offered power up from traxxas, or a take off from e Bay, or another similar system from hobbywing or castle or whom ever, and get a couple quality Lipo batteries and a good charger. I think you'll be more then happy with it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

RC Competitor
    Just wanted to add another option, which would be to buy an 1/8th scale esc, and a cheap goolrc 3660 (around 20 dollars or less) size motor around 3200kv, run on 3s and see how you like it. Then if you want to step it up, you'll already have the esc, and won't waste money on a 10th scale esc if you believe you'll be wanting more.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

RC poster
    thanks for the info, I probably would just go with the power up for now and change up the gearing and better battery. I probably would look into some use RC with better platform.

RC poster
    Question, if i change "spur gear" 54T which i have now. Having more gear tooth would it give more speed or more torque?
    Last edited by skunkwork209z; 05-01-2019 at 11:42 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Larger pinion and smaller spur gear will equal more top speed. A smaller pinion and larger spur gear will equal more torque and less top speed. So you wound need to drop down in spur gear size. Try a 50t spur gear and maybe a pinion that has a couple more teeth. But watch the temps as gearing up will create more heat.