Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 56
  1. #1
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    129

    My Slash 4x4 "Build"

    I've had this truck for a while. Busted it up and it sat in the box for a few years. Finally got it back together with the help of the LHS and figured I would start a thread to keep track of things and get some advice. I don't plan on anything crazy. Just looking for a rugged setup to bash around the yard. I will be updating as parts break or wear out.

    So Far:
    GPM Aluminum A Arms
    Proline Trenchers
    Proline Powerstrokes
    Tekno Rear Axles
    Tekno Center Driveshaft
    RPM Bumpers F/R
    Hobbywing EZRun 3652 4000KV

    The original motor was most likely killed by heat so I have an STRC motor mount and motor plate in the mail.

    The ESC has been acting up so I went to the LHS and picked up a Hobbywing 10BL120 ESC to pair with the HW motor. He told me it should be plug and play and never mentioned needing any connectors. I get home and realize I have no female bullet connectors and no battery connector. I am curious what everyone recommends. I have been running Traxxas 3s Lipo batteries so I would need a Traxxas compatible battery connector and 3x3.5mm female bullet connectors.






    Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated!
    Slash 4x4
    Rustler VXLs

  2. #2
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    24
    Nice truck! I like the tire/wheel combo with the Amsoil body. As far as battery connectors go, I highly recommend XT-60s. I was using deans on everything and then my LHS talked me into XT-60s. They're pretty sturdy and have good contact area. I know Lectron Pro batteries come with a XT-60 to Traxxas adapter so I'm sure other companies make them. Good luck!

  3. #3
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    129
    Right after I posted this I managed to find a Traxxas id male esc plug on eBay. I ordered that and am going to give it a try. All of my current batteries are either Traxxas or have a Traxxas adapter on them. Any advice on connectors to go from the motor to the esc. The motor males plugged into the stock Traxxas esc so I am assuming 3.5mm. I need 3 females.
    Slash 4x4
    Rustler VXLs

  4. #4
    RC Champion zedorda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    S.E. Michigan
    Posts
    1,014
    I recently was considering switching from T Deans connectors to something better and concluded on XT-90 since the cost was just pennies per connector and the increased mass let my subpar soldiering skill shine. Since 60 amp(120 amp burst) to me seemed abit limited on the XT-60s. There larger sizes also was easier to handle in my old fat fingers.

  5. #5
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    129
    So I installed my strc motor plate and mount. While I was in there I swapped out to the 18 tooth pinion. The motor seemed like it was revving to its max rpm too quickly and stuttering really badly. I figured it might need a taller gear so I tried it for about 30 seconds and now the motor doesn’t move at all. I am starting to think a faulty esc was the issue and it may have killed the motor.

    This brings me to my next question. Best plug and play motor and esc that will run 3s without heat issues. I want something that will plug in with minimal soldering. I don’t meed a ton of speed but would like a powerful cool running setup. I am assuming the 10bl120 esc won’t support a much larger motor. Suggestions?
    Slash 4x4
    Rustler VXLs

  6. #6
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    129
    Seems like the MMX 2650 would require nothing more than soldering on a batter connector and plugging a few wires in. Is this the way to go?
    Slash 4x4
    Rustler VXLs

  7. #7
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. El Sob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    14,174
    You could always go with my favorite, the new El Sob special motor system! Or the Mamba X esc and the sensored 2400kv 5mm shaft motor
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

  8. #8
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    129
    Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    You could always go with my favorite, the new El Sob special motor system! Or the Mamba X esc and the sensored 2400kv 5mm shaft motor
    I was hoping you would reply. It seems like the 2200 and 2400 require you to move the esc? I have an STRC ESC mounting plate and was hoping I could use that and leave the receiver in it's stock location. I don't need insane power and speed but I would like to be able to comfortably run a Traxxas 5000mah 3s through 18/54 gearing without overheating the system.
    Slash 4x4
    Rustler VXLs

  9. #9
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. El Sob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    14,174
    My preferred method for mounting the Mamba X esc is to use double sided tape to the chassis. I have also just used super glue to spot glue it down. It will fit in the stock location.
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

  10. #10
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    129
    It will fit in the stock location with 2200,2400 and 2650 or just the 2650? I have done a lot of reading but very few people seem to go into detail with fitment. I want simple haha.
    Slash 4x4
    Rustler VXLs

  11. #11
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    129
    Current configuration with the old style vxl3s and HW 3652 400kv. Should mention it is HCG. Not sure if that changes anything.
    Slash 4x4
    Rustler VXLs

  12. #12
    RC Champion nickruger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,318
    My suggestion if you don't wanna get an 8th scale system or move your ESC is just pick a lower kv motor the max length you can fit in the stock location. This one here is about the same length as the castle 2400kv. They have lots of options in can length, and kv. This one is rated for 5s. Hobbystar makes good motors. They are budget friendly too.
    https://www.rcjuice.com/hobbystar-36...aterproof.html

    Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by nickruger; 04-30-2019 at 11:49 AM.

  13. #13
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. El Sob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    14,174
    Quote Originally Posted by Trojan366 View Post
    It will fit in the stock location with 2200,2400 and 2650 or just the 2650? I have done a lot of reading but very few people seem to go into detail with fitment. I want simple haha.
    The Mamba X esc will fit in the stock location when paired with the 2400kv motor. Here let me show you

    Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

  14. #14
    RC Champion nickruger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,318
    Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    The Mamba X esc will fit in the stock location when paired with the 2400kv motor. Here let me show you

    Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    How much space difference is there between the LCG and HCG chassis? I've switched systems so many times I don't even remember what fits without moving things.

    Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

  15. #15
    RC Champion nickruger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,318
    Quote Originally Posted by Trojan366 View Post
    It will fit in the stock location with 2200,2400 and 2650 or just the 2650? I have done a lot of reading but very few people seem to go into detail with fitment. I want simple haha.
    It looks like you have the HCG chassis. Moving the reciever box is very easy. It will allow you to run anything you want. Even the vxl6s system fits right in there. If El sob says the mamba x/2400kv fits and it's good, you can take his word for it, guy has alot of experience.

    Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

  16. #16
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    129
    Good to know! My biggest issue now is that none of these combos seem to be in stock anywhere!
    Slash 4x4
    Rustler VXLs

  17. #17
    RC Champion nickruger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,318
    Quote Originally Posted by Trojan366 View Post
    Good to know! My biggest issue now is that none of these combos seem to be in stock anywhere!
    Main thing is the ESC. I used to be a castle/tekin snob, while they are very good, there are other brands out there for motors that are just as good for a fraction of the price. Really the only thing they lack is warranty. Castles warranty and service is very good. If you can't wait for a certain combo to come back in stock, get the ESC of your choice and match it up to a reputable motor that you had hoped to get in a combo. If you want a mamba monster x, you'll likely find just the ESC somewhere, and we could point you in the direction of a good motor.

    Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

  18. #18
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    129
    I have a hobbywing 10bl120 esc that the LHS suggested for my burnt up motor but I’m assuming that will be too small to safely run most of these motors. I’m wondering if there is a decent motor to pair with that esc. I already have it amd I doubt the guy will take it back since I opened it. I won’t lie the Tekin motors look so good I can’t stop staring hahaha
    Slash 4x4
    Rustler VXLs

  19. #19
    RC Champion nickruger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,318
    Quote Originally Posted by Trojan366 View Post
    I have a hobbywing 10bl120 esc that the LHS suggested for my burnt up motor but Iím assuming that will be too small to safely run most of these motors. Iím wondering if there is a decent motor to pair with that esc. I already have it amd I doubt the guy will take it back since I opened it. I wonít lie the Tekin motors look so good I canít stop staring hahaha
    I looked up the specs on the ESC you have, although its rated for 120amps it looks to be intended for smaller 10th scale vehicles that don't weigh a whole lot. It is also rated for only 3s, so you are already maxed out running the 3s. It looks to be similar to a castle sidewinder, one of the older versions, which proved to be to weak for a slash 4x4. I looked around and you can definitely get whatever castle, hobbywing, or other ESC you want, those are in stock, you just would have to buy a motor seperate.

    Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by nickruger; 04-30-2019 at 07:50 PM.

  20. #20
    RC Qualifier czlynx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    459
    Here is a mm2 with a castle 2200kv in a HCG chassis. I moved the receiver box up front. The stampede box fits on the existing holes. The ESC is mounted to existing holes as well using part #5626.

    I might have had to use a Dremel on the chassis right under the motor a bit to make room... It's been awhile so I'm not sure if I'm remembering this or my pede.
    Last edited by czlynx; 04-30-2019 at 08:16 PM.

  21. #21
    RC Champion nickruger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,318
    Quote Originally Posted by czlynx View Post
    Here is a mm2 with a castle 2200kv in a HCG chassis. I moved the receiver box up front. The stampede box fits on the existing holes. The ESC is mounted to existing holes as well using part #5626.
    I used to run this setup too. Thanks for adding the pic. That's what I was saying about it being super easy to do.

    Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

  22. #22
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    129
    What would you guys think about this setup as a temporary solution until the castle motors are back in stock. The. I could potentially use it in my 2wd rustler after? 2650kv https://www.rcjuice.com/hobbystar-1-...gram-card.html
    Last edited by Trojan366; 04-30-2019 at 09:40 PM.
    Slash 4x4
    Rustler VXLs

  23. #23
    RC Champion nickruger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,318
    Quote Originally Posted by Trojan366 View Post
    What would you guys think about this setup as a temporary solution until the castle motors are back in stock. The. I could potentially use it in my 2wd rustler after? 2650kv https://www.rcjuice.com/hobbystar-1-...gram-card.html
    The hobbystar motors are good. I have a few. I have no experience with the ESC. I've never had an issue with hobbystar, so I don't know what their warranty is like. If you can't wait for the castle combos to come back in stock, personally what I would do is get the castle mamba monster x and the hobbystar motor seperate. I have had 5 monster x, they are very good. I have multiple hobbystar motors, those are good.

    Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

  24. #24
    RC Champion nickruger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,318
    I was getting g ready for bed last night and I realized I was recommending an 8th scale power system a little willy nilly. You do have to upgrade some other stuff to run it reliably. I see you have the tekno rear axles and and motor mount coming. The only other things you really have to upgrade are your diffs and front driveshafts.

    Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

  25. #25
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    129
    I will only be running on 3s which is why I was shying away from the 2200 and 2400kv systems. I ordered the Hobbystar combo at 2650kv. I figure for $150 it won't be the end of the world if it doesn't work out.
    Slash 4x4
    Rustler VXLs

  26. #26
    RC Champion nickruger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,318
    Quote Originally Posted by Trojan366 View Post
    I will only be running on 3s which is why I was shying away from the 2200 and 2400kv systems. I ordered the Hobbystar combo at 2650kv. I figure for $150 it won't be the end of the world if it doesn't work out.
    Good for you. Just let us know how it goes. I'm curious about the ESC. Motor will be good, similar stats to the castle 2650kv, which is a rocket in the slash 4x4.

    Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

  27. #27
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    129
    Quote Originally Posted by nickruger View Post
    Good for you. Just let us know how it goes. I'm curious about the ESC. Motor will be good, similar stats to the castle 2650kv, which is a rocket in the slash 4x4.

    Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    It will probably be a week or so before I have all the parts. I have a Hot Racing slipper clutch and 20/54 gearing on it's way as well. My stock spur is a little chewed up and I have a feeling the stock slipper wouldn't be very happy with the new power.

    I am big fan of the fact that the motor and ESC are pre-wired. Bullet connectors and a dean's plug for the battery. Should make install a breeze.
    Slash 4x4
    Rustler VXLs

  28. #28
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    129
    Update: Based on tracking numbers; the motor, ESC, ESC mounting plate and battery plugs were delivered today. I already have the 20t pinion and 50t spur gear. Still waiting on the slipper clutch assembly. I ordered a stampede 4x4 receiver box but I am thinking I might be able to set it up with the receiver in the stock location for now. I might try and slap it together tonight with the stock slipper and 54t spur just to see how it goes but the rain might kill me. Hopefully everything goes as planned!
    Slash 4x4
    Rustler VXLs

  29. #29
    RC Champion nickruger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,318
    Quote Originally Posted by Trojan366 View Post
    Update: Based on tracking numbers; the motor, ESC, ESC mounting plate and battery plugs were delivered today. I already have the 20t pinion and 50t spur gear. Still waiting on the slipper clutch assembly. I ordered a stampede 4x4 receiver box but I am thinking I might be able to set it up with the receiver in the stock location for now. I might try and slap it together tonight with the stock slipper and 54t spur just to see how it goes but the rain might kill me. Hopefully everything goes as planned!
    You could definitely try it with the stock slipper, lots of people don't even upgrade, atleast you'll know. I know what you mean about the rain, I got my xmaxx put back together and I am hesitant to run it because it's so darn muddy out, and my compressor paid the piper earlier this week.

    Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

  30. #30
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    129
    Motor and esc are in. Glad I ordered the stampede receiver box since there was no space left for the stock box. I should really cut the wires between the motor and esc and solder new connectors on the esc side. Lots of extra wire but extremely convenient that it just plugged in. Turned on the esc and paired it to my radio then pulled the trigger and the thing just about jumped out of my hand. I was debating zip tying the receiver and test running but it has been wet here.


    Last edited by Trojan366; 05-03-2019 at 08:23 PM.
    Slash 4x4
    Rustler VXLs

  31. #31
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. El Sob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    14,174
    Quote Originally Posted by Trojan366 View Post
    Motor and esc are in. Glad I ordered the stampede receiver box since there was no space left for the stock box. I should really cut the wires between the motor and esc and solder new connectors on the esc side. Lots of extra wire but extremely convenient that it just plugged in. Turned on the esc and paired it to my radio then pulled the trigger and the thing just about jumped out of my hand. I was debating zip tying the receiver and test running but it has been wet here.


    Looks good! I'm also interested in how it performs for you. I have never used that brand. I have had such great success with Castle Creations and Novak products. Novak went out of business so I have been staying with Castle Creations.
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

  32. #32
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    129
    I have high hopes. Even if it performs on par with the stock setup but runs cooler I would say that is a win for the money. My wife is currently in labor so I probably wonít be able to finish and run the truck for a few days
    Slash 4x4
    Rustler VXLs

  33. #33
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Squeegie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    7,537
    Congrats and hope all is well with you and your new family!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

  34. #34
    RC Champion nickruger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,318
    Yeah baby is most important and best wishes to you and your family. I have a 4 year old and a 6 month old so I only have an hour or 2 of physical RC time each week. It will perform way better than stock, just a matter of how well it holds up. That's what we are all waiting to hear. Enjoy that baby.

    Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

  35. #35
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    129
    My wife and I were sent home to wait out labor. Put my girls bed and the wife fell asleep on the couch. I went downstairs and installed the hot racing slipper and 54t steel spur. Zip tied the receiver to the chassis and took a test drive. Wasnít impressed but needed to adjust the slipper. Added half a turn and holy crap. This thing is mental. The rear bumper lives on the ground. I hit the throttle and instantly peppered myself with rocks. The second it hit some loam and grass it tore into the ground and stood straight up in the air. Only ran for a few minutes but this thing is potent. It is also very smooth at low speeds. I am scared to drive this thing in the day time. Once I can see and unleash the beast Iím thinking there will be some tumbles. I think I need to loosen the slipper a hair and soften the punch control. I have a feeling it is going to be hard on parts!
    Slash 4x4
    Rustler VXLs

  36. #36
    RC Champion nickruger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,318
    Quote Originally Posted by Trojan366 View Post
    My wife and I were sent home to wait out labor. Put my girls bed and the wife fell asleep on the couch. I went downstairs and installed the hot racing slipper and 54t steel spur. Zip tied the receiver to the chassis and took a test drive. Wasnít impressed but needed to adjust the slipper. Added half a turn and holy crap. This thing is mental. The rear bumper lives on the ground. I hit the throttle and instantly peppered myself with rocks. The second it hit some loam and grass it tore into the ground and stood straight up in the air. Only ran for a few minutes but this thing is potent. It is also very smooth at low speeds. I am scared to drive this thing in the day time. Once I can see and unleash the beast Iím thinking there will be some tumbles. I think I need to loosen the slipper a hair and soften the punch control. I have a feeling it is going to be hard on parts!
    Awesome. I kind of had a feeling you were going to be suprised by how much more powerful an 8th scale system is. Based on what you have the only thing I can think of is have axle rebuild parts handy and look into the xo-1 or revo diffs and have a few of those on hand. Rebuild your stock ones with the xo-1 internals when they go so you have a few extras. That's about it. Have fun and enjoy cool running and lots of power.

    Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

  37. #37
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    129
    I have no idea how fast this thing will go but Iíd have to assume itíll be near 60. Tap the throttle and it is gone. I am shocked at how much power it makes. Might have to put the street tires on it and take the preload out of the shocks. There is a big parking lot right down the street from me that could be fun.

    I will do some research on the diffs and will most likely order a set of front axles too since I donít expect the stockers to live long. Luckily the front wheels are in the air so that should help them for a bit haha
    Slash 4x4
    Rustler VXLs

  38. #38
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    24
    Congrats on the new baby!! But glad to hear you like upgrade! That looks like a pretty sweet combo and appearantly performs pretty well too!

  39. #39
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    129
    Put on the dynamite robbers and lowered the preload a bit. Even on wet pavement with cheap tires it just stands right up in the air. Front stub shaft didn’t like the power.

    Five minutes into 2650kv and chill when your front axle gives you that look.

    Have some tekno fronts on their way.
    Slash 4x4
    Rustler VXLs

  40. #40
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    129
    Still waiting on my front axles but got a chance to get my receiver box in. It fits incredibly tight to the servo and the wire makes me a little nervous but it works. Also got a chance to install rpm hidden wheelie bar wheels and a heatsink fan combo on the motor. I need a male to male wire for the fan to receiver. If anyone has anything about 10” long I’d be forever grateful.


    Slash 4x4
    Rustler VXLs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •