RC poster

Stampede 2WD XL5 - Mamba X 3800kv Upgrade - Gearing question

Hello,

First stampede here (I posted here because the Stampede 2wd section is empty). I just upgraded my 2WD XL-5 to a Mamba X 3800kv combo and while I did noticed quite a difference in power, it doesn't seem to have increased the top speed by that much. I am running the stock gearing of 16/90 (I believe).

My question here is, if I replace the pinion gear with the included optional 21t gear, will it be too much for the motor and possible get overheated?

I mostly do bashing around (not too big of jumps), I run it in short grass and some packed dirt as well as on pavement, so I'm looking for a little improvement on top speed but still be able to bash around off road.

Any suggestions? or should I just leave it as it is?

Welcome to the forums!

It could just be that the kv motor you are using is too low to go faster on the same gearing, but more powerful so you can use bigger pinions for more speed. You could try the 21t pinion for a bit and then see how temps are; if they are below 150-160 degrees (Fahrenheit), you should be good. If they are higher, than maybe try an 18t pinion. Also, are you running nimh or lipo?
    I like free stuff!

RC poster
    Thanks for the quick response!

I am running 2s lipo. I had been reading about this for a while and seems like there are mixed reviews about using 3s. Apparently might be a little too much for the 3800kv.

2s is just fine for your motor. Do you have a temp gun to check your motor/ESC/battery temps?
    I like free stuff!

RC poster
    I don’t have a temp gun yet but I’m going to get one.
    Last edited by Heinkenskywalkr; 05-01-2019 at 10:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Heinkenskywalkr View Post
    Thanks for the quick response!

I am running 2s lipo. I had been reading about this for a while and seems like there are mixed reviews about using 3s. Apparently might be a little too much for the 3800kv.
    Yes it is risky to run 3800kv Castle motors on 3s or more. Expert highly experienced RC drivers will use risky setups and know what to look for to prevent catastrophic problems. The sad part is they will often then also brag about running these setups on forums as successful builds and many new hobbyists will try the setups resulting in complete meltdowns. While 2s is perfectly safe and still allows for a lot of gearing options as long as you get that temp gun you will like the results of just gearing up.