RC poster

Diff questions for slash 2wd since i dont know anything about diffs....

Slash vxl 3500, 3s 5000 MAH, LCG chasis.

I think ive stripped the gears inside the main diff (ill post pictures in a bit when i get home to show yall what im talking about) the tranny case is also cracked, not in an important place so i can reuse it.

Now my questions are, are there any upgrades for the diffs and all the gearz inside the tranny case other than a locked and sealed main diff? And if there are how much are they? Ive been running 3s for about 1 week now and i think i stripped some gears (im not sure but with no power, one driveshaft is free spinning while the other is like bound up).

Also whats the best tranny case if i decide to get one?
    Please help with my problems cause i am dumb XD

RC Qualifier
    The flm super trans case is the best option right now hands down, its alot of money though

RC Qualifier
    I have done this for years with success , heat treat the 4 sun gears in the diff, heat until red and then place in water. Then put them in a small oven for one hour to temper the steel. It does make them hold up better. I use a walmart toaster on 350 degrees. Good luck !

FYI the gears in the trans have been heat treated since about 2014.

You may of had good experiences with FLM but I have had 6 horrible experiences with FLM. Their machining is sub-par(full of chatter, ribbing, and fluting) they rely on people not knowing what bad machining looks like and the customer service is the worst possible. I will never buy from them again. Every part I have ever bought from them I found a better replacement from Hot-Racing for almost the same price.

You never find high-end machining at the lowest possible price.

P.S. Amazon used to carry FLM parts but has recently dropped them because of complaints from customers. This is like 4th online vendor to drop them for the same reason.
    Last edited by zedorda; 05-02-2019 at 09:14 AM.

RC poster
    Ya ive heard FLM used to be good till Hot Racing came out. And will the oven trick still work even if they are heat treated, and other than that is there any gear upgrades for the diffs and other gears inside the tranny?????

RC Qualifier
    the sun gears are not heat treated run a file over them when new, i agree the others are

RC poster
    Are the sun gears the gears inside the main diff case or the ones outside the main diff?

Inside the diff case. The outer is referred to as the ring gear.
    The Super Derecho

RC Qualifier
    the trans is good stock all but the sun gears imho, i run 4s lipos with paddle tires and have no issues other than the sun gears , i just use punch control and a loose slipper clutch now

RC poster
    Does anyone have any expierence with the hot racing sealed main diff? Is it (compared to stock main diff) better, worse, the same? Also is it locked or unlocked?

If you spool the tranny and mod the lay shaft with an axle hex pin (drill the shaft and clearance the groove on the lay gear), that would most likely be the last time you service the tranny (less bearing failures). For loose surfaces, its golden. The track or pavement, you'll be sorry. As for tranny cases, I have had great luck with the RPM case in my 10 lb scratch built buggy (lay shaft mod, still has the diff) and a stock trans with the bulletproof kit as a center diff with zero issues in my 11 lb Bomber. As for an aluminum case, there is a guy in the mid west, can't think of the name, (I'll get back to you) makes all the typical aluminum stuff at great prices. The better question here may be how are you driving or where that is causing you this grief? Some parts are better staying plastic and others upgraded in metal. Ironically, I am somewhat near your situation. I am starting another scratch built buggy, but UDR sized. Do I run a bullet proof Slash tranny or an E Maxx diff hybrid? Slash is easier, obviously, but will it hold up being I want a diff. One final thought: Once your tranny gremlins are fixed, that will probably transfer to the next weakest length, either gear pitch or axles. 48p still works flawlessly for me because of lack of traction. Axles, thats another story, I bet I have $300 in axles with those 2 builds getting them "bullet proof". 1/10 Summit cvd axles are the king of plastic, bar none.

RC poster
    Ok so im on hard concrete, grass, and pavement right now, we are fixing to get a dirt track set up in our yard soon, and its the sun gearz that are chipped/worn. By axles you mean drivelines or the ACUAL axle? I have "bullet proof" driveshafts and my pitch gear is the same 48p with 90 tooth.

Complete axle from stub at the tranny to the wheels. 3s on concrete doesn't show the driveline any love at all. Loosen the clutch a bit for that to reduce impact translated back to the tranny. Kinda like running a 40 hp VW motor, bore and stroke to 2332 cc, add a turbo with 20 lbs boost and expect it to be gas n go. Been there, done that. I stay off concrete if I can. That said, my Bomber lays rubber down, literally. Quite funny.

RC Racer
    I’ve had pretty good luck with believe it or not one LCG slash and a bunch of Rustlandits on stock transmissions running nothing but 3s as concrete/grass runners. But as it’s been said many times make sure your slipper clutch is adjusted to not be too tight as to avoid sudden shock to the drive line especially when the rear wheels momentarily leave the ground then touch down and throttle is still being applied. This seems to especially true if you upgraded the drive shafts and shell hexes to something stronger or the tires are sticky.

I have one FLM extended rustler chassis build with the motor and esc out of a UDR running 4s and I ended up getting an Integy gearbox with the open motor plate, Hot Racing sealed diff with 100k fluid and the rest 9f the guts from a stock 272 gearbox, no problems yet even with warmed up S1 GRP tires and graphite slipper pads. That’s the only 2wd Traxxas that’s not using a stock tranny and not because anything broke but I wanted to make sure there is good heat dissipation with the motor and transmission.

RC Qualifier
    here is my trick with my diff issues, run punch control about 4 or 5, i heat treat the 4 sun gears (heat until red and dip in water , then put in 350 degree oven for 1 to 2 hours, then build diff. , then i break the diff. in by putting it in an electric drill for about 5 minutes working the gears around, this has worked good for me, good luck