RC poster

Cool Introducing RC RALLY OPEN! First Person Rally racing using Traxxas Slash cars!

Hey guys,

Thought those with a Traxxas Slash, or anyone really into RC cars might appreciate this. Setting up a rally racing community using RC cars and FPV cameras so you can actually race them A>B in any location despite visibility. Opens up a whole new way to race RC cars and a bit of a game changer!

We are still testing out the tech and specs around the program, but check out our first vid and get your feedback in!

We are based in New Zealand, which is well known for our great rally roads and community, so it's the right place to try this!

RC Competitor
    I like it...good idea....another use for drone technology

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Welcome to the forum and the addiction! You are among a group of people who share the love of the Traxxas Slash 4x4! If you have any questions please feel free to ask. Remember we are here to help!

How much would it cost to get into something like that?
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC poster
    Curious how you are planning to get around the very limited video transmission distance to the goggles. On the ground, and especially among trees and brush, you will very limited range.

This idea could work on a typical race track (no obstruction, short distance, etc). But it would be so much better if it would work on a track like your video.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RC Enthusiast
    I like the idea! I fly quads as well as surface vehicles and love fpv. I can definitely see how this would become popular as a new way to race. The only issue I see is the limited number of video transmitters than can be on/active at the same time, by that I mean severe interference with other racers. If you can or already have that sorted out then you're good to go!

RC Racer
    Wow, you're a really good driver! I have issues getting my Rustler not to hit stuff, and I can see it. If this gets going there's going to be some really big competition.

Looks awesome!

RC Qualifier
    The camera is surprisingly stable, a lot more so than I thought it would be. This is a great idea. I hope it catches on.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

I have known of this being tried for the passed several years and it has never worked in the long term. There just way too many interference and cross-talk problems. Plus cost and damages are just through the roof. An awesome idea that is just as flawed as VR is since technology isn't really there yet but we are not far from it. We are just real far from it being cost effective.

RC Racer
    Cool vid,cool idea

RC Qualifier
    I'm just going to say what everyone was thinking....
    Needs more speed and some jumps.

Cool stuff though, I have put my GoPro in the RC for some FPV perspective video and it is very fun to watch. The modern units have great stabilization software along with accelerometers GPS etc. Some times its good to have one camera for the goggles and then use a GoPro for the video capture used for the produced "film".
    Last edited by LibertyMKiii; 05-06-2019 at 01:11 PM.

You have my interest. What are you using for an antenna in the truck, a cloverleaf? You have a great view in spite of it being from being inside the cab. How big is the camera and gimble (appears to be self leveling)? What is the range without a 25 ft tall antenna? Will it take a beating by jumping and or graphic crashes? As for more speed, that comes with experience driving, way harder than it looks. Put the camera on the roof like in a light bar and speeds would probably double without much effort, being more "scale" if I dare use that word here. Bring on the desert races!!!!

RC Enthusiast
    Is the footage given is from GoPro?
    Can you post a video from the fpv camera?

I had tried this using a foxeer monster pro mini fpv camera and 1000mw vtx.
    On pavement like track, it’s all good. But off road, video was very shacky.