RC poster

New to RC of this day and age

So I recently ordered a Rustler 4x4 vxl to mess around with and maybe do some racing at a local club if I get into it enough. I read a lot about shocks needing to be upgraded as well as the driveshafts. I plan to run mostly 2s until I'm better at driving, but I did order a 3s battery as well for the future. What are suggestions for mainly just whipping it around and perhaps racing in the future as far as shocks and shafts?
    Thanks in advance for any advice.

Suggestions/Recommendations would be:

Shocks - Traxxas GTR, or Proline ProSpec
    Driveshafts - Traxxas CVD, Tekno MY...or, Traxxas XO-1 conversion

While you're at it, you should also replace the slipper, either with a better slipper (I currently use the Robinson Racing Slipper Unit, along with a hardened steel pinion in my Slash, as well as one of my Rustys), or with a center diff (the XO-1 center diff replacement is a smart conversion).

Beyond that, replacing the servo is an excellent idea. Although I've noticed few people racing Traxxas vehicles at our track, I've seen quite a few practicing, and most have replaced the ESC & motor, typically with HW ESCs, and a few different motors.

~ Coming to you live, from somewhere on planet Earth.
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

Quote Originally Posted by tims229 View Post
    So I recently ordered a Rustler 4x4 vxl to mess around with and maybe do some racing at a local club if I get into it enough. I read a lot about shocks needing to be upgraded as well as the driveshafts. I plan to run mostly 2s until I'm better at driving, but I did order a 3s battery as well for the future. What are suggestions for mainly just whipping it around and perhaps racing in the future as far as shocks and shafts?
    Thanks in advance for any advice.
    Your truck will be fine to have a great time out of the box. The stock Ultra shocks can have the caps fly off if you land too high of a jump. You can put aluminum caps on it for a cheap fix. Panther is correct in saying that the Traxxas GTR shocks are excellent! I have tried several different kinds of shocks and the GTR shocks are my favorite
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC poster
    Thanks for the replies. I will be running it stock until I feel the need to put the 3s in it. I am just looking for information so I can have the parts on hand in case something breaks before that since there aren't too many hobby shops in my immediate area. My brother had recently bought the 2WD Rusty and I ran it a bit and decided I needed to have one. I'm usually more careful with my toys at first, but I know at some point I'll be looking to push it a bit harder.

RC poster
    This is what I will be doing to my Rusty minus the tires. I'll be putting on 1/8 buggy wheels on mine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jtYSPg0Q4Y&t=254s

Good choice. Between the 2WD & 4WD versions, I'll take the 4WD any day. I do have a 2WD 1/10 buggy, and I will be getting a 2WD 1/10 short course truck, but my other 5 vehicles (4 off-road, & 1 on-road) are all 4WD.

~ Coming to you live, from somewhere on planet Earth.
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

RC poster
    Panther, I felt 4x4 was the way to go as well but I hope it'll do donuts as well as the 2wd my brother bought does. That thing will spin like a top in lose gravel over pavement.

RC poster
    It will burn donuts fine in 4wd. I had the 2wd one for a day before I traded it for the 4x4 one. Just goes better especially with all the torque this thing has. Buy extra spur gears, batteries, shocks deff change to gtr or the like, drive shafts upgrade, and esc fan to start. Will thermal with 3s without. Other than that replace as you break things

The 4x4 rustler is an awesome vehicle, I would not replace anything until it breaks. Most important have fun!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by tmbold View Post
    The 4x4 rustler is an awesome vehicle, I would not replace anything until it breaks. Most important have fun!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Oh I definitely plan to do that! Thanks everyone for the input.

RC poster
    Holy crap! Got the Rusty today and first ran it in training mode. I was pretty impressed how fast it was even in training mode. I switched to normal mode and WOW! This car is amazingly fast and nearly out of control at some points. I believe this car is going to be a lot of fun.

Congrats on your purchase and welcome to the modern age of brushless, 4-pole, and LiPo battery technology!
    Oops... are you are running LiPo batteries? If not, you're in for another jaw dropping experience!

Have fun!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeegie View Post
    Congrats on your purchase and welcome to the modern age of brushless, 4-pole, and LiPo battery technology!
    Oops... are you are running LiPo batteries? If not, you're in for another jaw dropping experience!

Have fun!
    I am running LiPo, but only 2s so far. I'm gonna give it a week or so before I drop a 3s in it just to get better at controlling the beast. I ran it up a nearly vertical hill and she just climbed right up. I think it may even climb a wall! Well maybe not, but close.

RC poster
    First run on 3s and spur gear got stripped. I think it was when I was trying to use the self righting feature. Not sure I will use that again in the future. So do I upgrade to different slipper or just replace the spur gear and order more for the future? Are there stronger ones out there that drop in to the car without modifications?

RC poster
    My brother was kind enough to pick me up a 52T to replace the spur gear when he was in a hobby shop an hour from where we live. Got it installed and meshed properly (new skills for me) and took her for a rip. She runs and sounds like new! Might be a bit faster with the 52T compared to the stock 54T. I have several more ordered that will be in on Saturday. So glad my brother hooked me up. Happy Ripping everyone!

When running on 3S and gearing up, make sure you watch your temps.
    Get an IR temp gun. Good cheap insurance!

Glad you're having fun!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeegie View Post
    When running on 3S and gearing up, make sure you watch your temps.
    Get an IR temp gun. Good cheap insurance!

Glad you're having fun!
    So what are the temp limits that I want to avoid on the motor and ESC? I ran it for awhile pretty hard on 3s the other day and when I was done the motor was too hot to touch for very long. That was probably over the limit I would assume? Isn't there a thermal limit shutdown on these as well?

RC Competitor
    If you're going to run 3S, I'd recommend the Traxxas 3340 ESC cooling fan. In fact, it should be a stock standard part sold with all ESCs IMHO. Currently listed for $25 MSRP.

As for the motor, it's optional. Though I'd recommend at least a passive heatsink for it. Should cost under 10 bucks excluding shipping costs.