Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    6

    Question Battery tray modification for 4s Lipo, Anyone done one yet?

    Hello,
    I would like to use 4s Hardcase with my brushless Summits, therefore one side of the chassis needs to be cleaned of electronics, the motor must be changed to the other side in perticular.

    My Question is if anyone of you has done a modification like that and is willing to share some pictures of it?

    Unfortunetly I was not able to get much input on that by myself, some older threads are deserted or the the images are deleted by the file host.

  2. #2
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. noir 522's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    3,593
    The one that I remeber had the person utting the entire top of the battery box /locatiin off (dremel) and then he cut slits in the body to allow velcro battery straps. To hold down the taller battery.

    Another optiin (harder to find now that they are discontinued ) is Kershaw Designs aluminum summit chassis. They have an open battery box design.
    MAN, Use Common Sense.
    Outside? THERE IS NO BOX !

  3. #3
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. noir 522's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    3,593
    MAN, Use Common Sense.
    Outside? THERE IS NO BOX !

  4. #4
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    6
    Thank you,
    that Image looks great. Is this your own summit? The gearing looks to be changed rather agressive.
    Cutting the top off the battery tray is unavoidable but the challange i find is getting the motor out of the way. I started to design a motorplate to allowing it to be moved to the other side. I would still prefere a shortcut over making my own, the shapes are somewhat complex for conventional (hobby) machining.

  5. #5
    RC Champion akrimmel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    SAINT CHARLES, MO
    Posts
    2,567
    Quote Originally Posted by noir 522 View Post

    Another option (harder to find now that they are discontinued ) is Kershaw Designs aluminum summit chassis. They have an open battery box design.
    Would do crazy things for one of those Kershaw Designs aluminum chassis for the summit or revo.
    U.D.R. IN FULL MOD MODE
    MMX SUMMIT 2200KV!

  6. #6
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. noir 522's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    3,593
    Quote Originally Posted by seri View Post
    Thank you,
    that Image looks great. Is this your own summit? The gearing looks to be changed rather agressive.
    Cutting the top off the battery tray is unavoidable but the challange i find is getting the motor out of the way. I started to design a motorplate to allowing it to be moved to the other side. I would still prefere a shortcut over making my own, the shapes are somewhat complex for conventional (hobby) machining.

    Naw not my summit. Technically it isnt even a summit, see the low profile tires.

    8s high speed ervo. (hence the crazy aggressive gearing)
    Try searching for it (4s / 8s erevo) they might have more details for you.
    MAN, Use Common Sense.
    Outside? THERE IS NO BOX !

  7. #7
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. noir 522's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    3,593
    Are you building a off road vehicle or a speed demon?

    The reason I ask is if you are building an off road vehicle you can do the tranny flip mod (turning the transmission backwards) which would place the motor closer to the front . Hovering over the front shocks. Leaving you more space for your taller batteries, also getting more weight over your front axles, which would help greatly with rock crawling.

    Obviously the weight distribution would not bode well for a racer
    MAN, Use Common Sense.
    Outside? THERE IS NO BOX !

  8. #8
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by noir 522 View Post
    Are you building a off road vehicle or a speed demon?

    The reason I ask is if you are building an off road vehicle you can do the tranny flip mod (turning the transmission backwards) which would place the motor closer to the front . Hovering over the front shocks. Leaving you more space for your taller batteries, also getting more weight over your front axles, which would help greatly with rock crawling.

    Obviously the weight distribution would not bode well for a racer
    Since my answer seem to be held back, maybe I did name my motor combo? I try again:

    It is going to be a off road vehicle with a little more punch than crawling abilities. We do own a 8s X-MAXX and Rustler 4x4 VXL as well and a TRF-4 too. I don't need the Summits to break speed records, just as a middle thing. Hard to explain what I have in mind for them

    As it is today: I removed to top of the battery tray and designed a new Cover to replace the door. It uses the mounting points for the airintakes and is about 20mm wide. so the Motor can stay in place and the electronics move into the 2nd battery tray. Not finsihed yet, but close.

  9. #9
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. noir 522's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    3,593
    Sounds great.

    If you are able then please post some pictures of the project to help out the next person who comes along with a similar question.
    MAN, Use Common Sense.
    Outside? THERE IS NO BOX !

  10. #10
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    6
    It is in its very early phase, a proof of concept if you like to call it so. Of cause I will make it publicly available when it is more refined.
    Embeding Images does not work for me here?! So my google Album: https://photos.app.goo.gl/meQBoU42sptKCGP87

  11. #11
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    nc
    Posts
    2,549
    Quote Originally Posted by seri View Post
    It is in its very early phase, a proof of concept if you like to call it so. Of cause I will make it publicly available when it is more refined.
    Embeding Images does not work for me here?! So my google Album: https://photos.app.goo.gl/meQBoU42sptKCGP87
    that looks awesome.. Did you 3d print the battery box/door yourself? great work..
    slash 4x4 168mph
    youtube:philip jolley

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •