RC poster

Lipo/NiMh question

This is probably a stupid question, but i'm totally new to RC and i don't really know the terminology.

I got these two batteries for my TRX-4. I've had the NiMh for about 2 weeks, and it works great. Slow in first gear and a bit of a punch in second.
    I got the Lipo today and was quite disappointed that it preforms significantly worse than the NiMh. I'd say it's about 30% slower at full speed, give or take.
    Do i need a 3 cell Lipo to match my NiMh battery?

RC Qualifier
    A 2s lipo battery is comparable to 6 cell NiMh. A NiMh cell fully charged is around 1.4v to 1.5v so a 6 cell=8.4v-9v. A fully charged LiPo cell is 4.2v so a 2s battery is 8.4v. The NiMh battery will have more voltage fresh of charge than a Lipo battery, but the LiPo will hold higher voltage throughout its discharge than NiMh.

The NiMh battery will be faster when fully charged but slower once its about halfway discharged. The LiPo will stay about the same throughout its discharge use.

If you want more speed a 3 cell is the way to go.

I don't recall if the ESC has the capability to change between lipo and nimh, but when you run lipo change it over and make sure it is not in training mode.

The nimh, as stated, will have a greater full charge voltage but will settle down to about 1.2v/cell until discharged. Lipo will maintain the punch - more or less - from start to finish.
    The Super Derecho

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    I don't recall if the ESC has the capability to change between lipo and nimh, but when you run lipo change it over and make sure it is not in training mode.

The nimh, as stated, will have a greater full charge voltage but will settle down to about 1.2v/cell until discharged. Lipo will maintain the punch - more or less - from start to finish.
    I messed up. It's like you said "Make sure it's not in training mode". When switching from NiMh to Lipo mode the car should be turned on. I did it while turned off and that changes the throttle. Now it's in the correct mode and works great with the lipo! I live and learn. Thanks! :-)