Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Brass Weights

  1. #1
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    485

    Brass Weights

    Anyone using brass portal covers/weights??
    If so, which ones??

    Im current looking at either Yeah Racing or SamixRC.

    Thoughts?

  2. #2
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Greatscott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    N. Idaho... Da Sticks!
    Posts
    7,484
    I went with GPM Racing portal covers, the fit and finish are great.

    Post #12 on my TRX4 thread...

    https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...atScott-s-TRX4
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

  3. #3
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Oshawa, Canada
    Posts
    111
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    I went with GPM Racing portal covers, the fit and finish are great.

    Post #12 on my TRX4 thread...

    https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...atScott-s-TRX4
    Did you install all four or do you find that only front weight is needed?

  4. #4
    RC Competitor T-N-T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    90
    Quote Originally Posted by Trailwalker View Post
    Did you install all four or do you find that only front weight is needed?
    If you follow his link you'll see 4 portal weights.
    Slash Ultimate, Slash 2wd, TRX-4 Defender & Sport

  5. #5
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Oshawa, Canada
    Posts
    111
    Quote Originally Posted by T-N-T View Post
    If you follow his link you'll see 4 portal weights.
    Right, that's why I'm asking. Does installing all four help more than just adding front weights?

  6. #6
    RC Competitor T-N-T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    90
    Quote Originally Posted by Trailwalker View Post
    Right, that's why I'm asking. Does installing all four help more than just adding front weights?
    Using 4 definitely helps out for my terrain. I like about 300 grams of brass in the front and about 200 grams in the rear.
    Slash Ultimate, Slash 2wd, TRX-4 Defender & Sport

  7. #7
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Greatscott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    N. Idaho... Da Sticks!
    Posts
    7,484
    Quote Originally Posted by T-N-T View Post
    Using 4 definitely helps out for my terrain. I like about 300 grams of brass in the front and about 200 grams in the rear.
    Absolutely! The added weight down low only helps its stability, and move other mass to get a 60/40 balance.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

  8. #8
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Oshawa, Canada
    Posts
    111
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    Absolutely! The added weight down low only helps its stability, and move other mass to get a 60/40 balance.
    Awesome! Honestly, getting 60/40 on a Trx-4 is really difficult without some major mods/item relocation/body swap.

  9. #9
    RC Competitor T-N-T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    90
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    Absolutely! The added weight down low only helps its stability, and move other mass to get a 60/40 balance.
    Down low and wide out by the wheels is the way to go, moving or removing a few other items really helped.

    Quote Originally Posted by Trailwalker View Post
    Awesome! Honestly, getting 60/40 on a Trx-4 is really difficult without some major mods/item relocation/body swap.
    It's really not that hard to get a 60/40 weight ratio. You can get there with just brass alone. It's only money.
    Slash Ultimate, Slash 2wd, TRX-4 Defender & Sport

  10. #10
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Greatscott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    N. Idaho... Da Sticks!
    Posts
    7,484
    Quote Originally Posted by Trailwalker View Post
    Awesome! Honestly, getting 60/40 on a Trx-4 is really difficult without some major mods/item relocation/body swap.
    60/40 is the typical starting point for setting up your scaler (70/30 for a crawler), but honestly, once you get the weight down low, it becomes less critical to performance.

    Quote Originally Posted by T-N-T View Post
    It's really not that hard to get a 60/40 weight ratio. You can get there with just brass alone. It's only money.
    Yup, that is why my OT money is my toy money...
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

  11. #11
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Northern Norway
    Posts
    857
    Quote Originally Posted by IftiBashir View Post
    Anyone using brass portal covers/weights??
    If so, which ones??

    Im current looking at either Yeah Racing or SamixRC.

    Thoughts?
    I went with Samix to avoid the shiny brass color. The machining and fitment is second to none on the Samix parts.

    Weighing down all four corners is beneficial when sidehilling.
    Last edited by Viking; 05-05-2019 at 08:14 AM.

  12. #12
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    2
    I have installed a lot of brass upgrades, all from "AliTuning". Portals, knuckels, shock-mounts, bumper/servo mount, links....

    Just a few examples....

  13. #13
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    485
    I don't want to go any further then brass portals to be honest. I feel adding too much weight low down could also be detrimental to performance, ie, the truck could tip easier when sidehilling due to the added weight.....?
    https://www.youtube.com/user/iftibashir

  14. #14
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    485
    Quote Originally Posted by T-N-T View Post
    Down low and wide out by the wheels is the way to go, moving or removing a few other items really helped.

    What did you use to widen out the wheelbase?
    https://www.youtube.com/user/iftibashir

  15. #15
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    485
    Samix RC full set of brass portal covers and knuckles on their way
    https://www.youtube.com/user/iftibashir

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •