Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: X-maxx #3

RC Qualifier

X-maxx #3

Hello, this is my third Xmaxx, I regretted selling my other two and couldn't quite stoop for a brand new one.

Its in better nick than I expected, well happy for the money. I do hate the shell though, it seems a lot bigger than the stock one? Guessing they mould over it? Will be fine for bashing but I Want a stock one or a Proline Raptor

This is the cheapest running 8S Ive ever seen, costing less than £600. The eBay seller was brilliant and drove it to my house 2 hours away. Its bone stock and I've tried it on 6S and it works fine. It could do with some new screws as they've rusted (unless anyone knows a way of bringing them back?

Going to get the stock electrics up for sale and go from there. Ive ordered some 8S lipo's and I need a new Receiver and a Max 6.

Going to start to pull it apart shortly

Quote Originally Posted by Kpowell911 View Post
    I Want a stock one or a Proline Raptor.
    I just happened to have this feast for your eyes.

The ReglarGuy is kid tested and father approved.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.

X-maxx #3

Quote Originally Posted by ReglarGuy View Post

Not that I wouldnít do that, but how self indulgent and rude. Well done.
    My turn

Quote Originally Posted by Gripdog7205 View Post
    Not that I wouldn’t do that, but how self indulgent and rude. Well done.
    I thought I was being a real sweetheart by giving you and the other members eyes an outrageously uncontrollable amount of visual pleasure. I didn't stop to think for one second, that maybe, people's poor little eyeballs couldn't handle such wonderful lusciousness. Next time, I'll just post a picture of an old beat-up pair of underwear that has "Sworn for Fun, and Loyal to Non" written on them. (lol)

One thing's for sure (if it's self indulgent and rude by showing off my two Xmaxx bodies) a person never wants to come over to my house for a visit. If they ever witnessed all the other junk and hobbies that I'm into, they'd really hate me. Thank goodness I'm just a ReglarGuy, because I really like the look of your Xmaxx. I think you did a terrific job with it. It looks great, and I don't think it's being rude or self indulgent by you wanting to show it off to me. Well done my friend, and take care.

Last edited by ReglarGuy; 05-04-2019 at 06:16 AM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I thought I was being a real sweetheart by giving you and the other members eyes an outrageously uncontrollable amount of visual pleasure. I didn't stop to think for one second, that maybe, people's poor little eyeballs couldn't handle such wonderful lusciousness. Next time, I'll just post a picture of an old beat-up pair of underwear that has "Sworn for Fun, and Loyal to Non" written on them. (lol)

One thing's for sure (if it's self indulgent and rude by showing off my two Xmaxx bodies) a person never wants to come over to my house for a visit. If they ever witnessed all the other junk and hobbies that I'm into, they'd really hate me. Thank goodness I'm just a ReglarGuy, because I really like the look of your Xmaxx. I think you did a terrific job with it. It looks great, and I don't think it's being rude or self indulgent by you wanting to show it off to me. Well done my friend, and take care.

I appreciate the compliment. I realize we do not know each other, but Iím a touch sarcastic. I too am very proud of what I build/ create, too much time and money goes into to my builds not to want to show them off. And Iíve said before the Raptor body is quite easy on the eyes, I just notice my nice body has a small crack, guess itís time to think about the next one.

RC Qualifier
    I've no idea what you two are going on about ?

In your reply you said that I was "self indulgent and rude" for showing you a picture of what you would like to have someday, but then you said "well done. So, I wasn't sure if you were being mean to me or just making a sarcastic joke. So, what I did in my next reply was give you the benefit of the doubt that you're really not a mean person.

GripDog, who professes to be sarcastic himself, seems to think you were just making a sarcastic joke. So, in the end, we are both giving you the benefit of the doubt that you don't really think that I'm self indulgent and rude, but rather you really think (in actuality) that I'm the most wonderful person you have ever conversed with on the Traxxas forums...Okay, maybe that's a bit to much. But, at least you may think I'm not self indulgent and rude, but (in actuality) a reasonably normal nice guy.
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 05-04-2019 at 08:55 AM.

RC Qualifier
    In your reply you said that I was "self indulgent and rude" for showing you a picture of what you would like to have someday, but then you said "well done. So, I wasn't sure if you were being mean to me or just making a sarcastic joke. So, what I did in my next reply was give you the benefit of the doubt that you're really not a mean person.
    In who’s reply? Ive not commented calling anyone rude or indulgent?

It's a bit of sarcasm, lightheartedness and ribbing between two forum members. Nothing to be offended about or take personally.
    The Super Derecho

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    It's a bit of sarcasm, lightheartedness and ribbing between two forum members. Nothing to be offended about or take personally.
    Its not exactly on topic or beneficial however is it?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Yes totally off topic. KPowell donít sell this one. After all its most often a loss of investment to sell RCís. Looking forward to your own videos and pictures of your new ride.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Gripdog7205 View Post
    Yes totally off topic. KPowell donít sell this one. After all its most often a loss of investment to sell RCís. Looking forward to your own videos and pictures of your new ride.
    Youre correct there! I always seem to buy them back so Im better off just keeping them in the first place!!

Max 6, new RX and Motor mount ordered

Sorry Kpowell, it wasn't you. It looks like there was a misunderstanding between me and GripDog. With my reply to you (right after your original post), I was trying to give you a feast for your eyes. Let's start all over, get back on topic, and all be biggest most bestest buddies. Here goes...

Last edited by ReglarGuy; 05-04-2019 at 01:35 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    Like the blue one. How much?

2-REVo 3.3
    1 summit
    2-XMAXX
    And many others

Thank you, but it's just for me use and for Kpowell/GripDog to drool. (lol)

RC Qualifier
    Wish Id kept the other two to be honest

An original 6s and a 8S, both modified a fair bit

Just debating picking up a Rustler 4x4 to complete the evolution

Its not exactly on topic or beneficial however is it?
    It happens a lot in any forum - this one included. It's back on topic now.
    The Super Derecho

RC Enthusiast
    All nice looking trucks! I appreciate how much work goes into creating these, well done all.

Kpowell, I will offer my experience on the Rustler. I own an XMaxx 8s, UDR and just recently purchased a 2x2 Rustler. I didn't get the 4x4, mainly for cost, but also I wanted to have a 2x2. Despite the guy at the hobby store warning me that I wouldn't enjoy it, I love the little car. I should say that I have a quarter mile or more of asphalt with basically no traffic and that's where I have the most fun with it. I'm working on building a clay track at my farm and I feel like the Rustler will be a blast on that as well.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ggte496j View Post
    All nice looking trucks! I appreciate how much work goes into creating these, well done all.

Kpowell, I will offer my experience on the Rustler. I own an XMaxx 8s, UDR and just recently purchased a 2x2 Rustler. I didn't get the 4x4, mainly for cost, but also I wanted to have a 2x2. Despite the guy at the hobby store warning me that I wouldn't enjoy it, I love the little car. I should say that I have a quarter mile or more of asphalt with basically no traffic and that's where I have the most fun with it. I'm working on building a clay track at my farm and I feel like the Rustler will be a blast on that as well.
    Yea, Ive had a few Rustler 2wds, aneven more Stampede 2wds, I loved them back in the day, but Ive moved on from that. The Rustler 4x4 however Intrigues me.

Yea, Ive had a few Rustler 2wds, aneven more Stampede 2wds, I loved them back in the day, but Ive moved on from that. The Rustler 4x4 however Intrigues me.
    Emaxx (brushless)...Now, that's the way to go for a small truck.

RC Qualifier
    Emaxx (brushless)...Now, that's the way to go for a small truck.

Been there done that. Far too flawed for 2019. Id buy my UE/GA one back if I could but it would just be sentimental. My others, not so much. Thing is, an Arrma Notorious is pretty much same price as a Rustler 4x4 in UK, theyre just too expensive for what they are.

UE/GA/SM Super Maxx

Pre widekit 3906 and a brushless 3905
    Last edited by Kpowell911; 05-07-2019 at 12:14 PM.

RC Competitor
    Before it got back on topic, this was the best thread ever.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by BMcD308 View Post

Thanks for your insight.....

Quote Originally Posted by BMcD308 View Post
    Why's that?

RC Qualifier
    Why's that?
    because you and grip were like an old married couple trying to one-up each other a bit with excellent body pics...
    its quite entertaining, I almost got some popcorn.
    not to mention the pics look good too.

RC Qualifier
    Things are slowly starting trickle in

Not sure about what servo to go for. Still don't have Lipo's either!

RC Qualifier
    Things are slowly starting trickle in

Not sure about what servo to go for. Still don't have Lipo's either!
    You will really like the max6

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowcrossmxz View Post
    You will really like the max6

Yea, its my 4th Max 6 and about my 12th Hobbywing ESC. Really rate them.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowcrossmxz View Post
    because you and grip were like an old married couple trying to one-up each other a bit with excellent body pics...
    its quite entertaining, I almost got some popcorn.
    not to mention the pics look good too.
    Got-cha. What we need to do then is post some more pictures, but this time without any misunderstandings. I think it's always best for the air to be clear between posting members, don't you?. Here's some more eye candy, and maybe GripDog will share too.

This is the ESC mount I made. I use a Castle XLX, but this will work for a Max 6 or 5. The advantage is better airflow.

Here's how you can have telemetry RPM's using an XLX, Max 6 or 5 ESC.

This is a nice way to upgrade your wheelie bar's wheels. These wheels run better and don't get chewed up from use.

How's that? If you can get your hands on some more popcorn, I have all kinds of pictures. (lol)

Last edited by ReglarGuy; 05-09-2019 at 04:34 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Decided to make a start whilst watching the football. Still waiting on a few things, but made a start

Max 6, 22/46 gearing, Futaba RX, Alloy motor mount and brand new skid plates

46t Spur

Motor mount and pinion

All in

I Corrosion X'd all the screws

When I bought the Truck, the centre skid had a crack in it, so I just replaced all three as it was cheap enough on eBay.

I snipped the middle bar out of the brace. Ill tidy it with a Dremel later and mounted the Max 6

I then put a new Futaba RX in as I wanted to lose the Traxxas TSM as I feel it makes everything run hot. Ive got to go back into the RX box when I change the servo so its all back in losely. I've also only got 6s Lipo's at the moment, So Ive just installed them to bind the RX and set the end points of the ESC.

Waiting on a lot more stuff but its getting there

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Building and upgrading is so much fun. Glad youíre enjoying it.

RC Qualifier
    Ok, so had a few more parts come today. I got confirmation that my Servo was coming today, but only had 3s lipos. I have 4s Lipo's on order from Banggood, but who knows when they will be here. I decided Im going to need a second set at least so I went on Amazon. The HRB 4S Lipo's were ordered off Amazon Prime at 11pm last night and came this morning. Maybe Amazon taking over the world isn't a bad thing.....

My Servo came from Modelsport. Its the Traxxas 2085X. It metal geared, and comes with the HD Servo Saver Spring and the adjustable turnbuckle. Its £103 in England... I've ran a standard sized 53kg Bluebird Servo in my other two X-Maxx's and wanted something different, and waterproof. However it came today, just in a bag with the tag stapled to it. This is a £105 upgrade, not a £5 replacement stock part. Very dissapointed in the packaging and overall look of the servo, especially for £105. I can't fathom why this isn't stock on a £949 truck, but hey I can only hope it performs better than my initial impression. The other parts are required for the Proline Body Ive ordered, to save me keep changing them over from the Russian Shell.

I decided to get cracking. I stuck the Lipo's on charge (I have a 300w ******* that I parallel charge everything with) and fired up this surprisingly good Tutorial from Traxxas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OovfqJLdi3Q

Anyway

Here's what I mean. £105 for this? lol?

12 screws later

Servo out

HD Servo Saver Spring

Adjustable link

Ready to go

I stuck some base settings into the Max 6 using the LCD Programmer

I decided to take it out to see what it was like...... Last time I drove this was bone stock and on 6s. Now its got a new ESC, Geared up and fresh 8 cells. Lets just say it made a huge difference and I cant wait to get this out properly instead of in my quiet cup-de-sac. Genuinely over the moon with the performance so far. Feels good to be back in a X-Maxx. Servo, does actually seem very good too haha!

RC Qualifier
    Im a regular at Modelsport too

Have another delivery coming from them today!
    https://www.youtube.com/user/iftibashir

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I thought the adjustable link was cool, then I took a tumble, the end pulled out, replaced, next week or less, again. Iím running a heavier truck in general.

RC Qualifier
    Ok, strange day today. I was meant to be in work but the guy I was sub contracting to got called to another job which gave me a rare weekday off So bright and early I got up and took both the X and the E-Revo to the localish BMX park. The first time with the X properly.

It performed faultlessly and Im pretty happy with the performance. Feels how my last one did, which is a great compliment trust me. I would like some more top end, maybe I can gear it up as temps seems ok. I think punch needs to be dropped from 3 to 2, and brakes are a bit too strong.

I did a few runs in a large flat park and was happy with it so decided to hit the BMX track.... My E-Revo struggles here (mainly because of the tyre choice)

As you can see, my matt black paint job didn't work haha

It performed well. Took a decent beating as well that I expected it to break. However, on a big jump, it slammed down and I lost drive. On closer inspection, the pinion had just worked loose as I hadn't thread locked it.

All in all a Success. Just waiting on a few more parts, this minor part came today

Only cheap off eBay, guessing RCAWD is a copy of RC4WD but hey haha

I think id like a new motor in the future, but need recommendations of one that will work with the Max 6 and 8S? Any recommendations?

RC Qualifier
    Boring update but fitted the pointless bits. Made it look a bit better and was only £23 for all of it

Red's a bit off on the steering arms but they were £9 so?

Also ordered some new parts:

D|Hawk Shock Shafts
    Proline Badlands MX with Wheels
    RPM Arms all round

Waiting on the Wheels/Tyres/RPM Bits/New Shell and then ill strip and rebuild/clean it as its getting a bit mucky.

Considering a SURPASS HOBBY motor too

Boring update but fitted the pointless bits. Made it look a bit better and was only £23 for all of it

Red's a bit off on the steering arms but they were £9 so?

Also ordered some new parts:

D|Hawk Shock Shafts
    Proline Badlands MX with Wheels
    RPM Arms all round

Waiting on the Wheels/Tyres/RPM Bits/New Shell and then ill strip and rebuild/clean it as its getting a bit mucky.

Considering a SURPASS HOBBY motor too
    I'd beware of the RPM A-Arms. I've heard that they break easier than stock due to the heavy weight of the truck, and that there isn't much meat on them. Other than that the build looks great!
    6s X-Maxx-Hobbywing MAX6 8s conversion

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by X-Maxx View Post
    I'd beware of the RPM A-Arms. I've heard that they break easier than stock due to the heavy weight of the truck, and that there isn't much meat on them. Other than that the build looks great!
    My other 2 Xmaxxs were fine with them soo

RC Qualifier
    Had another delivery today from Modelsport, 3x pairs of RPM arms as the 4th must be out of stock

Kinda glad I didn't have to put the bead lock screws in, there's loads of them!

Comparison with the stocks X-maxx Tyres and a 3.8" Trenchers

I then decided to fit the front RPM Arms, Im waiting for the rear hubs so no point starting the rear

Nearly done:

RC Qualifier
    Also, these come from the USA for the Russian Shell. Ive chipped all the black paint off that didn't stick but the stickers don't seem to stick?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast