RC poster

Lightbulb VXL-8s ESC a fire hazard?

Hello,

I'm certain this topic has been covered before, so I apologize if I am causing redundancies.

Found a X-Maxx 8S locally at an amazing price so I could not pass on the opportunity. Only was used one time!

Doing a little research on it before putting it on the road, and saw that people were having issues with the ESC. Suggestion is to change it out with the HobbyWing Max6. Is this the general consensus of the group? Or am I being overly paranoid?

It came with Traxxas 6700s. I would say my driving style would be about normal, I try to be conscious of overtaxing things for long periods of time.

I definitely want to err on the side of caution. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

D

The fire rep came from the 6s due to a lot of people not following the owners manual when it came to gearing. The 8s isn't as sensitive to gearing up as the 6s. With that said, you will always have a chance of an ESC/motor/batteries burning up when you have electric systems used for RC vehicles. All you can do is read your owners manual and hope for the best.

Down the road, though, if you want to go past the recommendations of the owners manual for running your truck, then I would look into different electronics for your truck. That what I do, and that's what I did with my Xmaxx along with most of my other RC stuff. I always go with that old saying "The right tool for the right job." If you keep that in mind you should be good to go.
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 05-04-2019 at 04:37 PM.
    The ReglarGuy is kid tested and father approved.

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    My 8s esc is perfect after 2 years. Out of the box it had issues with reverse power spikes while running mid throttle. I updated the firm Ware and it has been perfect since. I know of a handful of 8s fires from this forum. They were earlier on in the 8s production run. I believe mine was one of those problem units. I also believe the firmware update saved my esc.

My buddy just bought a new 8s. ESC runs smooth. I'm guessing trx fixed the issue.
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by ReglarGuy View Post
    The fire rep came from the 6s due to a lot of people not following the owners manual when it came to gearing. The 8s isn't as sensitive to gearing up as the 6s. With that said, you will always have a chance of an ESC/motor/batteries burning up when you have electric systems used for RC vehicles. All you can do is read your owners manual and hope for the best.

Down the road, though, if you want to go past the recommendations of the owners manual for running your truck, then I would look into different electronics for your truck. That what I do, and that's what I did with my Xmaxx along with most of my other RC stuff. I always go with that old saying "The right tool for the right job." If you keep that in mind you should be good to go.
    Thanks for the reassurance, I know Traxxas turns out great stuff, feel much more comfortable now.

Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    My 8s esc is perfect after 2 years. Out of the box it had issues with reverse power spikes while running mid throttle. I updated the firm Ware and it has been perfect since. I know of a handful of 8s fires from this forum. They were earlier on in the 8s production run. I believe mine was one of those problem units. I also believe the firmware update saved my esc.

My buddy just bought a new 8s. ESC runs smooth. I'm guessing trx fixed the issue.
    Great to hear! I feel much better between both of your posts. Looking forward to enjoying the vehicle and peace of mind!
    Last edited by Double G; 05-07-2019 at 07:15 AM. Reason: merge

RC Qualifier
    You also have to keep in mind that part of all of those fires were due to people gearing their trucks up and not monitoring temperatures on the 6S ESC. The 8S ESC has a better track record if you gear smart and monitor your temperatures, preferably electronically like I did. I never had a problem with my 6S ESC and I drove that truck in long sessions.
    Catch my videos at youtube.com/c/offworkhours

I am by no means trying to stoke the ESC fire debate, but I too see conflicting reports of the reliability and safety of the vxl8s. I am in an Xmaxx Facebook group and almost every day there is someone reporting their vxl8s burst into flames, in stock form, stock gearing, running traxxas batteries. Now granted that group is 12k members. On the other hand there is also alot of people out there, like on here, who defend the vxl8s as they've had no issue with it, and how can you blame them. There are so many variables at play, gearing, experience level, setup, even luck at play that you can't really put a finger on it. I gathered as much info as I could of real experiences, checked some facts and decided what was best for me. I decided to swap out the vxl8s for a max5 before ever running the truck. Part of the reason for that was because I was running the proline bash armour body and SMC batteries, so there was over 300$ that traxxas would not have covered in the event of a fire.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by nickruger; 05-07-2019 at 07:01 AM.

RC Enthusiast
    My ESC literally went up in flames after less than 2 months of operation (purchased the 8s new in Feb. of this year). I brought it into my local hobby store, the technician plugged in the 2 Traxxas 4s batteries, powered the truck up, activated the steering a little, a puff of smoke rose from the ESC, immediately followed by flames shooting up approximately 6-8". I and other customers took off running because I assumed that one of the LiPo's had gone up! Truck was 100% stock.

I had all sorts of electrical issues with mine pretty much since day one. Traxxas, thankfully, replaced both my ESC and receiver. Knock on wood, after replacing the receiver, I have bashed it hard for more than a month, with no issue.