Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Shock Oil Wt

  1. #1
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    449

    Shock Oil Wt

    Anyone change the stock oil to a different weight??
    What are your experiences? Any noticeable differences?

  2. #2
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Northern Norway
    Posts
    846
    I use 10wt in my Defender. The stock 30wt made it way too bouncy and toylike to my liking. Now when I drive in high gear over uneven terrain the shocks even out the bumps, while the body "floats" without being rattled around too much.
    I also use the front springs on the rear and #8044 springs on the front (0.39 rate orange) to compensate for the thinner oil.

    But I have to mention that where I live it rarely gets above 15C (60F), so maybe 15wt would be more suitable for higher ambient temps.

    Btw. I love your videos about the Slash 4x4 and the X-Maxx!
    Last edited by Viking; 05-05-2019 at 07:47 AM.

  3. #3
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    449
    Quote Originally Posted by Viking View Post
    I use 10wt in my Defender. The stock 30wt made it way too bouncy and toylike to my liking. Now when I drive in high gear over uneven terrain the shocks even out the bumps, while the body "floats" without being rattled around too much.
    I also use the front springs on the rear and #8044 springs on the front (0.39 rate orange) to compensate for the thinner oil.

    But I have to mention that where I live it rarely gets above 15C (60F), so maybe 15wt would be more suitable for higher ambient temps.

    Btw. I love your videos about the Slash 4x4 and the X-Maxx!
    Thanks dude!
    I'll check out your suggestions - but seems like thinner then stock may be the way to go!

  4. #4
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Greatscott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    N. Idaho... Da Sticks!
    Posts
    7,448
    I run 60wt all of the way around, it smooths out the performance and allows you to carry a wheel over a small-ish crack.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

  5. #5
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Northern Norway
    Posts
    846
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    I run 60wt all of the way around, it smooths out the performance and allows you to carry a wheel over a small-ish crack.
    Good point!
    I should have mentioned in my reply that I don't do rock crawling with my rig - only trailing. If I did, I probably wouldn't use much thinner shock oil than stock for the reason you mention. When the rig is balancing close to the tipping point it's not advantageous to get a sudden yank from a wheel dropping into a crack.
    Shock oil and springs should always be tuned after usage and personal preferences.

  6. #6
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    449
    I will also be mainly trailing - I think I'll see how stock oil performs before deciding

  7. #7
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Greatscott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    N. Idaho... Da Sticks!
    Posts
    7,448
    Quote Originally Posted by Viking View Post
    Good point!
    I should have mentioned in my reply that I don't do rock crawling with my rig - only trailing. If I did, I probably wouldn't use much thinner shock oil than stock for the reason you mention. When the rig is balancing close to the tipping point it's not advantageous to get a sudden yank from a wheel dropping into a crack.
    Shock oil and springs should always be tuned after usage and personal preferences.
    Quote Originally Posted by IftiBashir View Post
    I will also be mainly trailing - I think I'll see how stock oil performs before deciding
    With fast RCs, there normally are particular setups that work best. But, with scale rigs, it depends on how you are going to run it (crawling/training/both), and your driving style. I set up all of my rigs with crawling in mind, which makes them a little stiff on the trails.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

  8. #8
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    449
    So in general terms -

    Trailing = lower weight oil
    Crawling = higher weight
    Both = middle ground!

  9. #9
    RC poster
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    8
    You are going to get a lot of different answers on this one. All personal preference.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •