RC poster

Spartan loses power 3 seconds after full throttle

Hi, I am using a 6s lipos on my Spartan. It motor/prop runs fine when out of water but as soon as it hits the water, it loses more than half its power after 2-3 seconds of throttle. Then when I throttle again, it does the same thing again. I am using 2 3S 7700mah 35C batteries.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I am lost.

I'm going to assume that you aren't in "Training Mode", that your running an all stock Spartan, and that you have your ESC set in "Lipo" mode.

There's not a whole lot to trouble shoot with a boat. If I were you I'd try these few little things. First, I'd disconnect your motor from your cable drive. At the motor side of the flex cable spin your flex cable with your fingers. It (of course) should spin freely without any resistance.

Next, use your fingers to spin the motor's shaft at the coupler. It should feel like you're spinning a prop on a nitro powered RC airplane. If these two steps feels good to you, you're going to have to use the substation method to trouble shoot. I'd drop in different motor first, because the odds are that's your problem. If not, swop out your ESC, and let us know what you find.
    The ReglarGuy is kid tested and father approved.

RC poster
    Hey apologies for the late reply.

So the boat is not on training mode. I checked what you mentioned above and all looks fine. I looked through some forums and someone said smth about the batteries maybe not having enough C power and causing the esc to go into low voltage cut off. What do you think about that? Should I get a set of new batteries and try this out?

Quote Originally Posted by rahul.k.agar View Post
    I am using 2 3S 7700mah 35C batteries.
    If these are what you are using, and they're not wore out, you should be good. Specification wise they are reasonable for a stock Spartan. When my Spartan was stock, I ran 6400mah 35c for years with no trouble. If you're in doubt with your batteries, I'd borrow to trouble shoot rather than buy. However, if you only have one set of batteries, it wouldn't hurt to build up your battery inventory anyway.

RC poster
    Replacing the batteries worked! I think the batteries were the issue though when I put the same batteries into my Slash, the truck worked fine without any issue. For some reason it was the boat, that was having issues with those batteries. The only difference with the new LIPOs, is that its rated 60C whereas the earlier batteries were rated 35C.

RC poster
    I had another question - when the boat runs of battery power, does it automatically go into reduced power mode so as to allow me to bring the boat back to shore?

Replacing the batteries worked! I think the batteries were the issue though when I put the same batteries into my Slash, the truck worked fine without any issue. For some reason it was the boat, that was having issues with those batteries. The only difference with the new LIPOs, is that its rated 60C whereas the earlier batteries were rated 35C.
    Out of all the RC vehicles a boat is really toughest on batteries. It doesn't surprise me that your batteries work with your Slash and not your boat. You can run 35c batteries in a Spartan, but both your 35c batteries have to be strong. This is true for any battery set you use in your Spartan. They both have to be equally as strong.

I had another question - when the boat runs of battery power, does it automatically go into reduced power mode so as to allow me to bring the boat back to shore?
    When your Spartan hits it's preset LVC your speed will drop down to 50%. When you see this happen, it's time to bring in your boat. If you don't want to hit your LVC, and you have telemetry, you can set your battery alarm to a voltage above your LVC. Generally, what I do is: on ponds I use my LVC, and on larger lakes I use my input voltage alarm. You don't want to travel a super long distance when your LVC kicks in, because there's a chance you might not get your boat all the way back to shore.

RC poster
    Thanks for that.

Glad to do it.