RC poster

Traxxas battery’s vs off brand battery’s

I have a Traxxas Stampede 4/4 and wondering if I should get a Traxxas lipo battery or a off brand lipo battery. Also if I should get a 2 cell or 3 cell lipo.

Welcome to the forums!

Have you ever had lipos before? If not I'd recommend 2s before 3s. As for traxxas lipos or not, trx lipos are just fine, but you can get cheaper batteries that perform as well/better. I'd recommend SMC lipos, as they have good reviews and loads of people like them, including me.
    I like free stuff!

RC poster
    I do have a 3 cell in my slash but it is to big to fit in my stampede so I have never ran lipos in my stampede. I have always just ran Nimh’s. I am wondering if a 3 cell would overheat the vxl system in the stampede. I haven’t had any overheating problems in my slash with the 3 cell but I run a castle system and it is a 2wd. I will probably buy a SMC

Just pay attention to the pack measurements. A standard hard case lipo fits in the stampede, but many 5000mah+ 3S packs are longer and don't fit in it.

I made my own 3S packs out of some old tired SMC 2S hard case packs. Not the prettiest, but allowed me to try out 3S in it cheaply and to get more life out of the old packs. A 7200/7400mah 3S SMC pack is pretty tall and requires the extended battery tray holder.

Top is a SMC 7400mah 2S, middle is a hobbystar 5200mah 3S, bottom is the 7200mah 3S I made out of older 7200mah 2S packs which had the same dimensions as their 7400mah 2S packs.

I used the top/bottom of the 2S hard case just for structural support. The first 2 fit with the standard battery tray holder, but the bottom one requires the taller holder. It's all I run in it now as one of the hobbystar 3S packs I bought to try out dropped a cell, so I just the good one I have left in my converted eJato since it only has velcro holding the pack in.
    Expert rigging at it's best!