RC Enthusiast

picked up a new to me brushed merv,,,gearing question??

hi all i am a crawler guy but my daughter talked me into this little merv, i actually luv it, super fun,i have it in beginer 50% mode, shes having a blast drivng it, what is the absolute absolute lowest gearing i can install in this little merv? i changed it so far to a 19/50 i think, is there a lower pinion than a 19 for the titan 550? thanx in advance, luvin this little thing

RC Racer
    You can get 18 pinion/55 spur gear. If you want to go lower you can also do a tranny gear flip mod called ‘underdrive’ gearing. Here is a post on it. underdrive+gearing

RC Enthusiast
    ahhhh thanx grizz, thats just what i am looking for, i will do that mod this weekend,the low gearing sure makes the batteries last longer.

You can also run your batteries in parallel and double the run time...

Have fun!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC Racer
    I know that they sell 12 tooth pinions for the titan 550 motor. Any 1/8 in pinion will fit the titan 550 motor.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Is_It_Broken? View Post
    I know that they sell 12 tooth pinions for the titan 550 motor. Any 1/8 in pinion will fit the titan 550 motor.
    awsome, ill go to my local shop and see if they have a 12t pinion, will there be enough adjustment in the motor to mount that pinion

If you really want to gear down, you could always do a tranny flip, but why? If you already have a crawler, have fun with a basher!

Info on a tranny flip:
    https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...nsmission+flip
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC Racer
    Something that I should mention is that if you are running really high rpms your motor could overheat. If you simply want to be able to switch from crawler to basher, you could get the titan 21t out of the TRX-4 and put it in whenever you want to crawl. Afterward, put the titan 12t back in, and you're back to bashing.

RC Racer

RC Enthusiast
    thanx for all the tips,i picked up a 12t today, gonna install it today, i dont want the merv for crawling per say but i like the low end torque for battery life annd my daughter is driving it and its in 50/50 mode right now and we trail drive with our trucks, i am using a little modded cr12, she likes to go slow on the rocks etc but also open her up on the trails,gears are cheap and easy to change so i dont mind expiermenting

RC Enthusiast
    apparantly the 12t i got was not for the merv,,,wrong pitch, the smallest they had ffor the merv was a 19t so i am running a 19-55, i think thats max without grinding the adjustment slot, havent tested her out yet but hope to try this weekend

RC Racer
    In the manual it shows a chart of different gearing.manual page 25 If you want to go lower do the gear swap in the tranny. Then when you want to gear up just replace pinion without pulling tranny apart. Manual shows a range of 18-31 pinions will fit the brushed model without modifications.
    Part #1918
    Last edited by grizzly03; 05-10-2019 at 11:20 AM. Reason: added part#

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzly03 View Post
    In the manual it shows a chart of different gearing.manual page 25 If you want to go lower do the gear swap in the tranny. Then when you want to gear up just replace pinion without pulling tranny apart. Manual shows a range of 18-31 pinions will fit the brushed model without modifications.
    Part #1918

thanx for the info grizz, u were right i got a 18t not a 19t, its in now and seems to work good, ill look at that tranny swap, it looks easy enough. thanx again for the info

RC Qualifier
    I accidentally posted before I saw this was for the Titan motor.

I thought it was for the brushless, which can run as low as a 16 tooth pinion with the 50 and 55 tooth spur.
    Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 05-12-2019 at 11:33 PM. Reason: Mistake!
    Welcome To The Futures' Past!

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Flux Capacitor View Post
    I accidentally posted before I saw this was for the Titan motor.

I thought it was for the brushless, which can run as low as a 16 tooth pinion with the 50 and 55 tooth spur.
    You should be able to run as low as 11 tooth pinion if you have the velineon 380 size motor. More room for motor adjustment.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzly03 View Post
    You should be able to run as low as 11 tooth pinion if you have the velineon 380 size motor. More room for motor adjustment.
    Hmm!

The 12 tooth pinion is the lowest I saw on the Traxxas site.

I'm trying to remember something though. I got the gearing chart for the VXL motor and most of the gearing is recommended for series running (dual NiMh) and not for 2S or 3S. From what I read, changing the spur size, makes subtle adjustments to the ratio; whereas the pinion makes drastic changes to the ratio.

I ran a 31/50 combo just to see what it would do (not recommended gearing) and I laughed because every time I hit the throttle, it would jump straight up in the air - it was funny! Talk about it having torque!

It would hook, but it wouldn't book because it wouldn't stay on the ground!

I am however content with the 23/50 ratio, but I like 16/50 also even though it runs a tad hotter.
    Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 05-13-2019 at 09:46 PM. Reason: Correction.
    Welcome To The Futures' Past!

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Flux Capacitor View Post
    Hmm!

The 12 tooth pinion is the lowest I saw on the Traxxas site.
    Your right Traxxas doesn't offer an 11 tooth, would have to go aftermarket. I am going by their Gearing Compatibility Chart for each model which I found to be accurate in fitting without mods.

Yup these little guys are mini rockets with the brushless motors!