RC poster

Damaged spur and pinion gears

got my orange x maxx a week ago. Today was the second time I took it out for about 15 minutes running on grass and road. After the second self righting attempt it stopped moving. Made noise but not spinning. Got home and opened it up. The spur and pinion gear are missing teeth. I have busted a spur gear twice on my vxl rustler and got it replaced both times. First time about $20 second time a few days later for $5. I can replace both gears on the x maxx but was wondering if I should call traxxas and see what they will say. I have never called them before for something like this but have seen people on this forum who have and got some gears sent to them.

RC Champion
    Yes call them up,I’m pretty sure they’ll replace it,as for next time I would avoid using the self righting it puts too much stress on gears.
    "AVENGED SEVENFOLD "

RC poster
    I've chewed up several myself since I got my new truck in February. Traxxas will most likely send you replacements, they did for me. They even sent me a rear bulk head since one of the technicians was guessing that somehow my rear bulkhead got damaged and was somehow causing misalignment. It has helped but I have lost both gears once since changing it.

Lastly, from what I understand, most folks would recommend not using the self-righting feature since it puts such a strain on your components. I've never even tried to use it.

RC poster
    thanks for feedback guys I contacted traxxas and they are sending me both gears. The email they sent also said to take apart the transmission and clean out the grease and also the broken teeth debris that is along the shaft. When I move the model back and forth I can hear the debris moving around. I will attempt it myself sure it's not hard just need time to do it. Paid alot of money for this so knowing everything about it and how to work on it is a must. Good thing I have my vxl rustler to play with since the xmaxx is down. Will post about how it all went and once it is running again.

RC Enthusiast
    That sounds familiar because on Wednesday I got my orange Xmaxx. The second run on grass and road I did a self righting attempt and it worked but then the second or third time the exact same thing happened. Ill be calling traxxas on monday and never touch the self righting again.
    116 unashamed

RC poster
    I got my replacements part and put them in the other day. It took a few hours a it was the first time repairing the x maxx. I went out today to give a go and it has happened again. I might have forgotten to tighten the little screw on the pinion gear. Once I heard the dreaded sound I checked the gears and one tooth was missing from the pinion gear and I was able to slide it back and fourth on the shaft that comes out of the motor. I also ruined the spur gear on my vxl rustler. Don't know if I will bother emailing traxxas this time. Are there any other spur and pinion gears that someone can recommend to use or will last longer.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by darknightmodels View Post
    I got my replacements part and put them in the other day. It took a few hours a it was the first time repairing the x maxx. I went out today to give a go and it has happened again. I might have forgotten to tighten the little screw on the pinion gear. Once I heard the dreaded sound I checked the gears and one tooth was missing from the pinion gear and I was able to slide it back and fourth on the shaft that comes out of the motor. I also ruined the spur gear on my vxl rustler. Don't know if I will bother emailing traxxas this time. Are there any other spur and pinion gears that someone can recommend to use or will last longer.
    If youíre using the pin system to set the mesh, stop. Set the lash by look and feel. Iíd suggest watching some YouTube videos before you get your next set. GDS makes a great spur gear upgrade for the truck.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Gripdog7205 View Post
    If you’re using the pin system to set the mesh, stop. Set the lash by look and feel. I’d suggest watching some YouTube videos before you get your next set. GDS makes a great spur gear upgrade for the truck.
    I will definitely watch you tube videos and have been watching some already. I don't know what you mean by the pin system, mesh and lash. Pretty new to this hobby but will learn everything in no time. Will do some research on the internet.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by darknightmodels View Post
    I will definitely watch you tube videos and have been watching some already. I don't know what you mean by the pin system, mesh and lash. Pretty new to this hobby but will learn everything in no time. Will do some research on the internet.
    As in the pin system that you put your motor mount in to. Iím guessing since you donít know what it is, your truck is stock and you are. You just need to remove the motor and mount and take the pins out, and set the mesh by hand. Traxxas gears arenít great, but they donít shatter like that for nothing.

RC Enthusiast
    Did the pinion gear come loose? My new xmaxx recently developed a problem where the pinion gear keeps coming loose. Mine came loose and ate up the teeth on the pinion and spur.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Moparcollector View Post
    Did the pinion gear come loose? My new xmaxx recently developed a problem where the pinion gear keeps coming loose. Mine came loose and ate up the teeth on the pinion and spur.

Molar came loose are you fellas using lock tight on your pinions? Does anyone know if Traxxas is using Lock-tite on the pinion before shipping them out?

If they are blowing up that quick there is something going on. Either something is loose or the mesh isn't right. Yes traxxas gears are brittle, but you can ruin the hardest gears available if something isn't right. Good gears will bend and twist, cheap ones explode. I would watch multiple videos on gear mesh, like Grip said, set it manually without the pins by hand, using sight and sound. Make sure you don't have a loose motor mount bolt, or fastener any where related to the spur shaft, gears etc. I would even check the little cover that holds the cush drive shaft/bearing down. Once you master gear mesh your issues will be pretty much go away. Here is a mod 1.5 CNC cut, hardened pinion that had poor, loose mesh to the spur. Its ruined, just didn't blow up.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

RC Enthusiast
    My used xmaxx just sheared 5 teeth off the spur the other day. Not exactly sure why but my guess was from wear? However the spur slides on the bearing shaft quite a bit, not sure it’s normal. Ended up replacing back to 54/18 gears and used some red thread locker on the new pinion that a few owners at the local shop recommended. The previous owner must have glued the 15 tooth pinion that was installed! Ended up dremeling out the set screw and prying it off the shaft! I was not even doing any extreme bashing so not exactly sure why the gear shredded.