RC Competitor

Question Help with Rustler 4X4 GTR Shock oil and spring suggestions.

So I've got a Rustler 4X4 VXL with a 3S LiPo - I primarily race high speed (60MPh) around an parking lot and occasionally drop from curb height. Perhaps no more than 1ft drop at any given moment. Trying to keep center of gravity stock. Basically the A-Arms level; if not a tiny bit higher off the ground.

I'm looking into the upgrading to the GTR Shocks with 60W shock oil and the variable damping kit to decompress as quickly as possible while still being ready for the next obstacle. I'm thinking 60 all the way around or 55 in front 60 in rear.

As for the springs, Traxxas is recommending BLACK springs. However, to increase the stiffness, there's the PINK which is 6% stronger than black, or BLUE which is about 16% stronger than black.

I'm thinking about the BLUE springs, but I'm worried that it might raise the car too high.

What I'm really after is keeping the CG height stock, but still have enough travel to absorb lots of impact without bottoming out all while keeping the decompress responsive and ready for the next hit. At some point, I will be jumping at the local dirt track, and I don't want to be slapping the ground.

Any advice?

Use the adjustment collars to adjust the preload.
    The Super Derecho

RC Racer
    for bottoming resistance, try filling a little more oil at a time, oil is much harder to compress than air in the shock body.

Don’t forget to experiment with the lower mounting holes closest to the tires, they allow a lower leverage ratio and in turn increases the effective spring rate, and helps to reduce body roll. Likewise try using different upper mounting holes as they change the ratios throughout the stroke.

A frequently used set of mine for pavement is stock gtr springs, lower mounts on the outer most holes, a little more 50wt oil than usual, and slash 4x4 sway bars to combat body roll and the resultant traction rolls. This way the suspension is supple and responsive enough to track the ground, lower overall CG with the outer lower mount holes, but doesn’t flip as easily with the sway bars. You will need a more stiff set up for dirt jumps though, there is no magic set up that does everything well

RC Competitor
    So the GTR shocks with "blue" (hardest available from Traxxas) rated springs and 60w oil did the trick. Will not bottom out while ripping on pavement and jumping off curbs. Butter smooth! It also stays well planted under hard cornering.

7461X - GTR Shocks (long)
    7462X - GTR Shocks (xx-long)
    7448 - Blue - GTR Shock Springs (long)
    7449 - Blue - GTR Shock Springs (xx-long)