RC poster

Question Best Lipo battery for Rustler 4x4?

Want to upgrade to a lipo battery, eventually going brushless as well, any suggestions? seeing some aftermarket ones that are a bit cheaper but not sure?

RC poster
    I currently run the Traxxas part # 2843x batteries. They are 5800 MaH batteries and I get a decent run time with them. They fit with the stock battery holder and have the traxxas connectors so hooking up is easy and no adapters or rewiring needed. That is my 2S batteries in 3S (which I have not run a full battery with yet) I have part # 2832x. I need to get a esc fan and motor heat sink installed before I run on 3S for any amount of time. I experienced some serious heat the two times I did run 3S. On 2S I can run the whole battery and it's only a little warm by the end of it. Hope this helps. Happy ripping!

RC Competitor
    Traxxas 2832X 11.1V 5000mAh 3-Cell LiPo Battery, Short - Give's about 15 to 30 minutes on a full charge depending on driving (normal driving to just flat out ripping on a parking lot). I choose this battery also because I wanted the lighter weight.

If you do decide to go with the 2832X, you'll also need part #6725 Battery hold-down.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by StDragon View Post
    Traxxas 2832X 11.1V 5000mAh 3-Cell LiPo Battery, Short - Give's about 15 to 30 minutes on a full charge depending on driving (normal driving to just flat out ripping on a parking lot). I choose this battery also because I wanted the lighter weight.

If you do decide to go with the 2832X, you'll also need part #6725 Battery hold-down.
    That is true, if I forget to bring my other hold-down with me I just flip over the stock one and shim with hunk of foam or something. Works in a pinch

RC Competitor
    To the OP:
    Keep in mind that if you are currently running the Brushed Motor/ESC set-up (XL-5 ESC that has two wires going to the motor), you are limited to 2S LiPo batteries.
    The ESC seems to be rated up to 9.6v, so 3S batteries are too much (11.1v nominal for 3S).

I've only run Traxxas 5800MAH 2S LiPos (PN #2843x) in the boy's brushed Rustler 4x4, and they are a fine upgrade to the traxxas 7-cell NiMH battery that it came with. Much punchier for sure.

There are other folks making/selling LiPo batteries, but I've not sampled them.

--BillJ

RC Qualifier
    Also there is SMC, that makes some great batteries. You can choose how many milliamp battery you want. Make sure itís a 2s battery as stated above as that is all your ESC will handle. I wound think something in the 5k to about 6500 mah would be the way to go. C rating doesnít need to be real high with the brushed setup, but it wonít hurt if you get a high C rated battery. Again just make sure itís a 2s battery and has the proper connector on it.

RC poster
    forsureeee, thanks everyone for the feedback