RC Enthusiast

Engine sound box from eBay not working with new ESC?

I have been using those Asian made 10 sound throttle linkage sound boxes on my velineon motor ESCs for years, but the one I just bought, does not work properly. I am convinced it is the ESC. Did they change their manufacturing? They still work fine on the vehicles I bought with Velineon in 2017 and 2018. Can I get an ESC that will make use of this sound box? Love it to death.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenburg View Post
    Engine sound box from eBay not working with new ESC?
    Maybe your eBay sound box is the culprit, which is one of the reasons I don't use ebay.

RC Enthusiast
    Yeah, I tried another one, did the same. I tried it on my 2017 Rustler, works fine, tried on my Blast boat, which got a 6533 receiver upgrade, does the same as my 2019 Rustler 4x4. Might try it on my Catamaran next. I am wondering if I need an ESC made before 2018. Can I swap just the ESC, or does the motor have to be replaced too? Thanx Rich.

Yeah, I tried another one, did the same. I tried it on my 2017 Rustler, works fine, tried on my Blast boat, which got a 6533 receiver upgrade, does the same as my 2019 Rustler 4x4. Might try it on my Catamaran next. I am wondering if I need an ESC made before 2018. Can I swap just the ESC, or does the motor have to be replaced too? Thanx Rich.
    What new ESC did you buy that won't work with your sound box.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

RC Enthusiast
    It the stock traxxas one. They say these sound boxes work with Hobby Wing ESC. I have used them with Traxxas ESC before, and the new sound boxes work with my Traxxas 2017 and 2018 ESCs, so I have it down to the ESC in my 2019. My Blast was bought in 2018, and has a Nautica ESC (Stock).

It the stock traxxas one. They say these sound boxes work with Hobby Wing ESC. I have used them with Traxxas ESC before, and the new sound boxes work with my Traxxas 2017 and 2018 ESCs, so I have it down to the ESC in my 2019. My Blast was bought in 2018, and has a Nautica ESC (Stock).
    It's not enough to say stock, what model esc is it.?

RC Enthusiast
    Sorry about that, and thank you, it's a VXL-3s

Sorry about that, and thank you, it's a VXL-3s
    If I were you I would contact Traxxas by phone and see what they say. That esc
    is in their most recent truck with oba so it should work. If you got it from eBay, well
    you might have to talk to them.

RC Enthusiast
    I'll see about an online chat tomorrow. Hope to make 4 wheel drive drift bodies for this platform. Already have a Lancer Evo done, making a Skyline GTR V-Spec, want to do a Ken Block-esc Mustang. Thanks for the concern, Rich. Hope to let you know how it goes. H

I'll see about an online chat tomorrow. Hope to make 4 wheel drive drift bodies for this platform. Already have a Lancer Evo done, making a Skyline GTR V-Spec, want to do a Ken Block-esc Mustang. Thanks for the concern, Rich. Hope to let you know how it goes. H
    Sounds interesting, good luck with those builds.

RC Enthusiast
    Maybe I will show some time. I have 20+ bodies, all decaled from the inside, and have full lights, some animated by channels 3, 4 and 5, and exhaust lights that flicker under acceleration. Bodies by Heisenburg.
    Still trying to decide how I shall participate here. Thanks for being my 1st friend, Rich.

Maybe I will show some time. I have 20+ bodies, all decaled from the inside, and have full lights, some animated by channels 3, 4 and 5, and exhaust lights that flicker under acceleration. Bodies by Heisenburg.
    Still trying to decide how I shall participate here. Thanks for being my 1st friend, Rich.
    Your welcome, and by the way, welcome to the forum.

RC Enthusiast
    From my online chat with support :
    Hello, How may I assist you today?
    13:37
    I am trying to connect a sound simulator box to my Rustler 4x4. It does not seem to respond to the throttle correctly.
    13:37
    That doesn’t sound like a Traxxas product. Please contact the original manufacturer for issues and questions pertaining to their products.
    13:38
    The same sound box has been working in my Rustler 2wd and Stampede 4wd. The new sound box will work properly with either of those.
    13:38
    We don't offer any audio options for those vehicles.
    13:39
    Is there a difference in the new ESC? That is where I have traced the "issue". I have posted to the forum on this, and they advised contacting you.
    13:40
    Could I possibly swap my current esc for one from yesterday?
    13:41
    Custom installations of unsupported parts is not something I'm going to be able to advise on.

RC Enthusiast
    I wonder if using an old vxl3 esc would work. Does anyone else have an idea?

Customer Service is correct. They will assist with their brand products and will not - nor should not - provide support on non-Traxxas brand products. When you purchase products from Widget, Inc where they have designed it to work with Traxxas, it is up to Widget to provide the support to make it work. They also can exercise discretion for giving out programming information that could be considered intellectual property.

I just bought a Bluetooth adapter to plug into my wife's OEM radio in her SUV. I don't expect Toyota to provide support for this non-Toyota product.

Contact the manufacturer of your Asian-made sound box.
    The Super Derecho

RC Enthusiast
    Sorry, Rich, buddy, talking to support did not seem to work. Does anyone have a solution? The maker of the sound box says use Hobby Wing ESC. But I have made these boxes, including the new ones, work on my 2017 and 2018 vehicles, which also have VXL3.

Sorry, Rich, buddy, talking to support did not seem to work. Does anyone have a solution? The maker of the sound box says use Hobby Wing ESC. But I have made these boxes, including the new ones, work on my 2017 and 2018 vehicles, which also have VXL3.
    Sorry you didn't get much help there. I don't think the VXL3 has changed
    since it's inception, so that leads me to think you have some sort of unique
    problem besides the esc. Where did you buy that esc, and did you register
    your Traxxas trucks.?

RC Enthusiast
    It's the VXL-3 ESC that came with my car. I am going to try my friend's ESC tomorrow, maybe even see if he'll swap, since he has no interest in engine sound. If not that, then maybe the throttle exponential is out of calibration? Maybe calibrate with the sound box connected?
    I have registered all of my vehicles, except this one. Fun fact, everytime I registered a vehicle (4), when asked what I think they should build next, I always replied "4 wheel drive Rustler". Makes me wonder if I had anything to do with its creation. I hope my dreams will come true, right now, kind of a nightmare. Keep ya'lls posted, and thanx again, Rich.

RC Competitor
    OK, so I'm new, and for sure don't know the the ins and outs of trying to make a "noise maker" work (or for that matter, why the heck you'd want to, but the world is full of wonderful examples of "Different Strokes for Different Folks"), but I wonder if the difference between your older Traxxas brushless setups and this one is the "Two Pole" vs "Four Pole" motors/ESCs?

Again, I know almost nothing other than the 2-pole motors/ESCs are older, and apparently make a little less torque... they may also be the type of traxxas brushless motors that work correctly with this "noise maker"? Maybe? Maybe not?
    I'm not sure when Traxxas went from shipping 2-pole systems to shipping 4-pole systems, but here is a (really awful, but it's the first one that came up on a google search) video describing the differences: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPnCnU4BoBs
    The 2-pole motors seem to have "non textured" wires, where the 4-pole motors have what seems like a "mesh texture" embossed on the wires.

Please keep in mind that this WAG is worth what ya paid for it ;-) --BillJ

RC Enthusiast
    I appreciate the kind help, Bill. I took a quick look, all 3 of my road vehicles have smooth ESC wires, the motor side of the wiring is textured. I think the Sellers of the noise maker know something I don't, as they insist it works only with Hobby Wing ESC. Of course, since I have made it worked on 2 of my vehicles, and 1 X Maxx I installed on a friends vehicle, I have 2 years of electric experience possibly working against.
    Yeah, different strokes all right. I can't drove my car down the street without a noise box, and refuse to drive my brand new Rustler 4x4 with out one. Of all my customers, (I am sort of free lance in the repair business) I have had only 1 taker for the noise maker. Still need to solve this one. Thanks again. Hope I get to post some of my work, I think it is to die for.

RC Competitor
    Good Luck Heisenburg, curious what you end up deciding is 'Root Cause'.

It would be nice if Traxxas would publish detailed specs of their motors and ESCs, and version each and every little change that they do (it would make tracking this backwards the issue that you are seeing SO much easier)... but they don't. And since they don't, and don't claim to support the noise maker that you are experiencing issues with... you are kind of on your own, which is a bummer.

Please be sure to let us know what you end up doing --BillJ

RC Enthusiast
    It's just so strange that they work like a charm in my 2wd VXL Rustler and 4x4 VXL Stampede. Here what I did today : I borrowed an old Rustler 2wd, with VXL upgrades, and hooked up the sound box, it works on the old Rustler. Swapped the ESC, didn't work, swapped the motors without removing them (use your imagination on that), still not right. I think I have it down to possibly the throttle calibration. Maybe it needs to be done with the box connected. If I were to plug or unplug the box with the vehicle power on, it would gun the throttle a bit. The receiver box is still a suspect, but less so, since I tried the sound box on my Blast Boat, with upgraded 6533 receiver install late last summer, acted the same as the original Rustler 4x4. Maybe the one in my Catamaran Red/White? I certainly will post my findings and results to help others in the future.

RC Enthusiast
    Gonna go off topic for just a sec, come right back to it. Does anyone know how to upload an avatar?

It's just so strange that they work like a charm in my 2wd VXL Rustler and 4x4 VXL Stampede. Here what I did today : I borrowed an old Rustler 2wd, with VXL upgrades, and hooked up the sound box, it works on the old Rustler. Swapped the ESC, didn't work, swapped the motors without removing them (use your imagination on that), still not right. I think I have it down to possibly the throttle calibration. Maybe it needs to be done with the box connected. If I were to plug or unplug the box with the vehicle power on, it would gun the throttle a bit. The receiver box is still a suspect, but less so, since I tried the sound box on my Blast Boat, with upgraded 6533 receiver install late last summer, acted the same as the original Rustler 4x4. Maybe the one in my Catamaran Red/White? I certainly will post my findings and results to help others in the future.
    Are you using the same transmitter on all these different trucks as you
    test that sound box? I seam to remember reading somewhere to set your
    throttle to 50/50 instead of 70/30, however, I can't find it now. Also I think
    you have to have the sound box connected to recalibrate it.
    Last edited by Rich2; 05-11-2019 at 10:10 AM.

RC Enthusiast
    Yeah, I think that's what I may have done wrong. Yes I have been using the same transmitter for all cars and boats, but I did try another one to test this problem.

Gonna go off topic for just a sec, come right back to it. Does anyone know how to upload an avatar?
    At the top of this page, click "Forum Actions" then choose "Edit Profile"
    and then Look for Edit Avatar.

RC Enthusiast
    Maybe I need more seniority to do an avatar, thanx anyhow, Rich

Maybe I need more seniority to do an avatar, thanx anyhow, Rich
    Yep, I see now, I forgot about that, you have to have more posts or time, not sure which.

RC Enthusiast
    Yours is very cool, mine's gonna be a honey. Once I have time, I will work with my RCs and get this thread back on track

RC Enthusiast
    Recalibrating the throttle did not make the sound box work correctly. Trying the receiver from my 'Kitty next.

RC Enthusiast
    I must need a classic 6533 receiver. Any combination of parts, that does not include a receiver made after 2018 makes this thing work. Any ideas how to get a classic receiver?

RC Competitor
    I have no idea how the interface works, but I suspect some sort of signaling or software API incompatibility.

Perhaps a firmware update might resolve the issue. To my limited knowledge, only a "Traxxas 6511 TQi Link Wireless Module" can be used to perform this update. Alternatively, reset settings back to factory defaults.

Good luck.

RC Enthusiast
    I did try to calibrate the throttle range and throttle sensitivity, to no avail. I do have the link module, but no iphone. Gonna try a classic receiver. Thanx Dragon

RC Competitor
    According to Traxxas, the Link Wireless Module is compatible with Android 4.4 and new and iOS 7.0 or new devices. Given that my iPhone 8 runs iOS 12, the app runs.

In theory, any recent iPad should work as well as it would no doubt use Bluetooth too.

The app will tell you if your connected to just the transmitter, vehicle, or both (green is connected, red is disconnected).

EDIT: given the limited range of Bluetooth, I would recommend keeping the vehicle, transmitter, and iPhone/Android all within a proximity of three feet (1 meter) of each other. I also wouldn't make any changes or updates if any device is low on power. Oh, and knowing how phone apps can crash, i'd also recommend closing all background apps too to ensure nothing goes sideways; Murphy's law and all that.
    Last edited by StDragon; 05-13-2019 at 03:23 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    The receiver stolen from friend's 2014 E Maxx, 6518, works. Probably won't have TSM though. Thanx to everyone responding to this thread. You are now all in my COOL book, and are now my friends.