Thread: ESC Fan

ESC Fan

I only run my Merv on 3S, so I was a bit irritated when using the stock wheels and tires because the tires would always start peeling away from the rims. I'm not talking about ballooning; I'm talking about glued tires not being able to cut it when it comes to the Traxxas bead system.

So I went and bought myself a set of the Proline Titus beadlock rims and tires; which the tires are Dirt Hawgs:

Now a word of caution here; because I found out the hard way, the Titus Beadlock rims and tires are heavy.......and I mean heavy compared to stock rims and tires. One Proline Titus Beadlock rim and tire weighs more than all four stock tires combined and then some.

I was thinking after I installed them with a stock ESC and 380 Velineon motor (stock also on the VXL) that I was definitely going to have to re-gear the final drive ratio. The problem is, no matter what combination of gearing I tried, the ESC would overheat and flash the red light quickly indicating thermal issues after 10 minutes of light running (1/4 throttle) and not even hammering 3/4 throttle passes.

So to fix that problem, I set out to fabricate adding a fan to the ESC without having to modify where or how the ESC sits. It was challenging at first and then after sleeping on it, I came up with this:

That is the Mamba Monster X fan for the 1/10 scale ESC's. It is 30mm X 30mm without the case on. I rigged it so that it is mounted off the side of the ESC and stays out of the way of the motor if I wish to use taller gearing.

Right now, I am content with running 23/50 (the speed pinion) with the stock spur.

Here are some different picture angles of the ESC fan:

After installing the ESC fan, I took it out today (about 82F today) and I tried to overheat it on purpose and I could not do it!

3/4 throttle passes for 15 minutes straight and climbing hills with speed gearing should have definitely thrown it into thermal shutdown; but it just kept smiling and waiting for more.

I am definitely a happy camper now, because I thought I was going to have to go back to using the stock tires and rims and I didn't want to do that at all costs because I just spent a good chunk of change on these Titus Rims and Wheels from Proline.

If you are tired of thermal shutdown problems because of the heavier Proline tires and running 3S, I recommend using a 1/10 ESC fan because it just works! I tried it on NiMh series connection too, and I absolutely could not overheat the ESC!
    Welcome To The Futures' Past!

RC poster

ESC Fan

I run a Venom Xerun 120 Amp ESC and Medusa 36-50-3300kv motor on 2s Lifepo4 geared 18/42 in the Hyper 10SC and it works well, Motor is yet to get over 90f after a hard run on this set up.

These wheels are so much better and cheaper.

https://www.amazon.com/Proline-Trenc...WF16AT82VMTKYV

Also all that extra weight in the wheels will cause failures in the drive train unless you go with metal replacements. You do know those are weighted that way because those are rims for crawlers. Using the wrong parts always leads to failure.

Quote Originally Posted by zedorda View Post
    You do know those are weighted that way because those are rims for crawlers. Using the wrong parts always leads to failure.

I know now! I had to return them because, as you pointed out, they were causing all kinds of drive train problems on the stock setup. I still run the ESC fan with the stock tires now; but when I bought stock replacement tires, I bought them unglued so I could make sure the mounting of the tires was in my control.

Over the years, buying the assembled (already glued tires) has proven to yield inconsistencies in the quality of the final product. Meaning, they are usually unbalanced, partial glued, or somewhat not even having the bead seated properly on some of my purchases.

I have found that overseeing the complete assembly of my tires has yielded better results than buying already mounted tires.
    Welcome To The Futures' Past!

I can't agree with you more I glue all my own tires now.