Thread: Bigger motor?

Bigger motor?

I was off the Erevo train over the winter, I was busy building an Xmaxx. Xmaxx is great, but not as easy to bust out for a quick run in the backyard so I'm back to the 2.0. I got it right when it came out last year and really worked all the bugs out. I'm currently running a 1550kv 4076 motor and a mamba monster x. I was going to get a 4092 motor in the 1900kv range hoping I could get some better speed without running into heat issues. I got to thinking about the stock motor from the Xmaxx. I have a saga custom mount that will support either way I go. Any suggestions which way to go?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    Is a larger motor needed as the stock size has hit it upper region of performance or is it due to there being more powerful options once you able to look at larger motors.

I’ve seen some companies offer custom motor building isn’t that an option?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by nickruger View Post
    I was off the Erevo train over the winter, I was busy building an Xmaxx. Xmaxx is great, but not as easy to bust out for a quick run in the backyard so I'm back to the 2.0. I got it right when it came out last year and really worked all the bugs out. I'm currently running a 1550kv 4076 motor and a mamba monster x. I was going to get a 4092 motor in the 1900kv range hoping I could get some better speed without running into heat issues. I got to thinking about the stock motor from the Xmaxx. I have a saga custom mount that will support either way I go. Any suggestions which way to go?

Depends. A 6s Xmaxx motor could work as its 1600kv. An 8s 1200kv would be too low imo.

I had great success using a lower kv motor on 6s in a cheap 1/8th truggy I had. I just geared it very high and relied on the torque for low end.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by SC11 View Post
    Is a larger motor needed as the stock size has hit it upper region of performance or is it due to there being more powerful options once you able to look at larger motors.

I’ve seen some companies offer custom motor building isn’t that an option?

If were totally honest, the stock motor on 6s, with some taller gearing is more than enough for 99% of people and its simply not necessary to change it, but people often want more dont they haha?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Kpowell911 View Post
    If were totally honest, the stock motor on 6s, with some taller gearing is more than enough for 99% of people and its simply not necessary to change it, but people often want more dont they haha?
    Yep don’t we all!

What started out as a RTR RC is now in pieces and my project.

I don’t think I’ll go as far a Nick and look at custom mounts but I’m trying to find the best motor/ESC package that suits my needs, but then never say never haha

To be truthful I can't gear the 1550kv as high as I want. I tried 20/54 and got to 180f about halfway through a battery pack and had to drop down to 18/54. I am not running a fan, was trying to do it without. I guess before I get to crazy, I could just slap a fan on and try it. What is standard "fast enough for most people" is fast enough for me, I just can't do it with safe temperatures.

RC Enthusiast
    Depends. A 6s Xmaxx motor could work as its 1600kv. An 8s 1200kv would be too low imo.

I had great success using a lower kv motor on 6s in a cheap 1/8th truggy I had. I just geared it very high and relied on the torque for low end.
    Nice. Thinking about trying 6s Xmaxx motor.

After watching an install video of the saga custom mount I think I'm going to pass. I already bought it, but it requires alot of assembly, disassembly to get mesh right, change pinions etc. I think I might just gear it how I want and try a decent fan or run her till she fries. It's a relatively cheap motor, not the end of the world if it can't handle it. Kind of a bummer that the design of the erevo limits motor length so badly. I really think a little longer 42XX motor would really do it some sweet justice.

Last edited by nickruger; 05-09-2019 at 05:55 PM.

RC Qualifier
    To be truthful I can't gear the 1550kv as high as I want. I tried 20/54 and got to 180f about halfway through a battery pack and had to drop down to 18/54. I am not running a fan, was trying to do it without. I guess before I get to crazy, I could just slap a fan on and try it. What is standard "fast enough for most people" is fast enough for me, I just can't do it with safe temperatures.

I missed this, thats very strange, why is your motor running that hot? Im running an 18t Pinion and stock spur (54?) on a 2200kv motor and its not getting upto those temps? Im running a Hobbywing Max 8 and the Hobbywing 4274 2200kv motor?

Are you running Traxxas radio with TSM?
    Last edited by Kpowell911; 05-10-2019 at 04:16 PM.

I missed this, thats very strange, why is your motor running that hot? Im running an 18t Pinion and stock spur (54?) on a 2200kv motor and its not getting upto those temps? Im running a Hobbywing Max 8 and the Hobbywing 4274 2200kv motor?

Are you running Traxxas radio with TSM?
    Yes. I run the heck out of it. Nothing wrong with the truck, just me.

RC Qualifier
    I get major heat issues with TSM (well all sorts of Stability management, same with the Spektrum).

I see a drastic difference in temp when I change to none TSM/Stability management Radios.

RC Qualifier
    Can someone confirm what’s the longest and biggest diameter that can be installed in the stock location?

I'm currently running a 1550kv 4076 motor and a mamba monster x. I was going to get a 4092 motor in the 1900kv range hoping I could get some better speed without running into heat issues.
    What 4076 1550kv motor do you have? I'm running the castle/traxxas 2200kv from the v1 revo in my v2 at the moment with the MXL-6S. With 15/54 gearing and a yeah racing fan/castle motor fan holder, it still gets pretty warm. It used to have an easy life in my v1 as I only ever ran it on 4S.

I switched over using a 2.0 roller so I could run 6S and not worry about the drive train. Only have 5-6 runs on it and the diffs are howling... figures. Guessing the original owner put some time on it as the cups have pretty good notches in them. Need to tear into it and see if bearings are going out or something before it becomes an avoidable catastrophic failure.
    Expert rigging at it's best!

Quote Originally Posted by olds97_lss View Post
    What 4076 1550kv motor do you have? I'm running the castle/traxxas 2200kv from the v1 revo in my v2 at the moment with the MXL-6S. With 15/54 gearing and a yeah racing fan/castle motor fan holder, it still gets pretty warm. It used to have an easy life in my v1 as I only ever ran it on 4S.

I switched over using a 2.0 roller so I could run 6S and not worry about the drive train. Only have 5-6 runs on it and the diffs are howling... figures. Guessing the original owner put some time on it as the cups have pretty good notches in them. Need to tear into it and see if bearings are going out or something before it becomes an avoidable catastrophic failure.
    I run a hobbystar motor. It's funny you mentioned about diff bearings. Since I originally posted all this, I put all new bearings in the diffs and the carriers and it did drop my temps about 10 degrees. I had none that were seized but I did have one diff bearing and one wheel bearing that were hanging up pretty good. I did notice the 2.0 does go through diff bearings quicker than my other trucks. I switched to bocas 2 times ago and they definitely have lasted longer. I did replace my drive cups, after 16 months mine were badly notched.

I run a hobbystar motor. It's funny you mentioned about diff bearings. Since I originally posted all this, I put all new bearings in the diffs and the carriers and it did drop my temps about 10 degrees. I had none that were seized but I did have one diff bearing and one wheel bearing that were hanging up pretty good. I did notice the 2.0 does go through diff bearings quicker than my other trucks. I switched to bocas 2 times ago and they definitely have lasted longer. I did replace my drive cups, after 16 months mine were badly notched.

Guessing the HS 4076 1550 fits without issues? Isn't that the same size as the stock 2200kv? What speeds do you get with 18/54 with that? Guessing comparable to a 2200kv with 15/54. Have you checked your MMX data logs to see what kind of internal temps/amps your seeing?
    Expert rigging at it's best!

Quote Originally Posted by olds97_lss View Post
    Guessing the HS 4076 1550 fits without issues? Isn't that the same size as the stock 2200kv? What speeds do you get with 18/54 with that? Guessing comparable to a 2200kv with 15/54. Have you checked your MMX data logs to see what kind of internal temps/amps your seeing?
    Everything you said about the comparable specs is accurate. Speed I've never actually checked. It seems a little bit slower than stock with it geared 18/54. I've ran 20/54, that seems more comparable. Most people could probably run it like 22/54 or if I got some fans I probably could as well. I have not checked the data logs. This is a bit embarrassing, but we converted our office to a nursery for our daughter last November and the PC has been in the basement storage ever since. With smartphones and the cloud I just haven't had to hook it up for anything. The motor is rated at 108 max amps and I would assume it doesn't come close to that very often. The monster x is almost never over 100 degrees even when it's hot outside. The batteries don't get over 105ish either and there is nice, smooth, even LVC. When I had the stock motor in there I had to watch it, that motor is rough on batteries. It is a very nice setup if you gear it up high enough. Takes some getting used to, seems slow at first, but it's actually because you're peelin out if your to hard on the throttle. When you get used to getting the power down and hooked up it is quite nice.

Last edited by nickruger; 08-15-2019 at 08:17 PM.