SW3 w/ 5700kv Stuttering

Hey guys, my SW3 paired with a 5700kv CC motor is stuttering around. When I give it throttle it goes a tad, then stops, then goes, etc... Then all of a sudden it's normal and going full blast. My question is this: should I try to update it or is it toast? It is definitely not acting normal is what I'm trying to say.
    I like free stuff!

Lower your gearing. While the sw3 isn't the bestest most greatest (tounge in check) esc, it should run that motor. 90% of cogging problems is due to over gearing, the last ten is binding of some sort making it harder to get moving.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Its alright son I'll fix it when you break it

Ok, I'll check my gearing and everything else too. It was working fine before, and it started doing this in a different car. I just really don't want to have to replace it...
    Last edited by Sp2deSummit; 05-09-2019 at 10:10 PM.
    I like free stuff!

Ok, my gearing was at 87t spur and 25t pinion. I think thats too high, so I put my 16t pinion in in (my smallest one). It still did the same thing, just took a little longer and it eventually shut off for a bit. Should I get a smaller pinion? Actually, what I should do is replace the rear bushings with bearings, because those bushings are VERY worn away. And I still need to get a new servo...
    I like free stuff!

Hey guys, just looking around for maybe a new ESC, and I found this one: HobbyWing SC8 I've seen that people like it and that it works well, but I am wondering how well it will work with my motor? (same one as listed in post #1)

Also, what size are the bullet points on the ESC?

Edit: Now that I think about it, I may need a new battery. I have a really old SPC 2s that hasn't had the best care in the past, so my SW3 may not be able to draw enough power from it...
    Last edited by Sp2deSummit; 06-10-2019 at 02:25 PM.
    I like free stuff!

RC Racer
    If you have a temp gun (you should) check the temp of your ESC, motor, and battery. To check the battery, move the temp gun up and down over the battery to check multiple points on the battery. Post the temperatures, along with what the reading was on the grass a few feet away, to give us the ambient. I do not know what they should be, but someone else will.

Quote Originally Posted by Sp2deSummit View Post
    Hey guys, just looking around for maybe a new ESC, and I found this one: HobbyWing SC8 I've seen that people like it and that it works well, but I am wondering how well it will work with my motor? (same one as listed in post #1)

Also, what size are the bullet points on the ESC?

Edit: Now that I think about it, I may need a new battery. I have a really old SPC 2s that hasn't had the best care in the past, so my SW3 may not be able to draw enough power from it...
    Regarding your edit, the amp draw on start up is greater than amp draw while driving. This could very well be a factor. I run that same system (sw3 and 5700kv) in my rusty and have no problems with it. I think I'm geared higher as well, somewhere around 21/86. Check all connections, did you ever get a temp reading on motor and esc? How old is your system?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Its alright son I'll fix it when you break it

Ok, i will test it some more, but I need to get a ir gun first. He he, I remember telling other people to get one themselves, now I suppose it's my turn. This system isn't the newest version, it's about 6-7 years old at most

This one ok? https://www.amazon.com/Etekcity-Lase...8-1-spons&th=1
    Last edited by Sp2deSummit; 06-10-2019 at 04:25 PM.
    I like free stuff!

RC Racer
    That should work. I got the GAEA non-contact one for 9.99. It seems to be the same except for not coming with the 2 AAAs it needed.

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    Being that it cogs, then works fine, then cogs, is making me think it's a bad connection. If it was a bad cell in the pack, it usually will not start getting better. I had a vxl motor that was doing as you described, and it turned out to be all 3 motor wires were chaffed right where the wires exited the motor. They fold into a 90 bend right there, and over time the rubber wire coating cracked and exposed the bare wites. They were arcing causing the cogging
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

Sooo, looked at all the wiring from the motor to the ESC, there are no bends, scratches or anything Asked my dad to order that ir gun.
    I like free stuff!

RC Racer
    Sooo, looked at all the wiring from the motor to the ESC, there are no bends, scratches or anything Asked my dad to order that ir gun.
    Wait, your parents fund your rc stuff? You must be very cute and convincing! I have neither of those down .

No, they don't. I don't have a debit card yet, so I can't pay for online things. I just give my dad cash and ask him for things, so I pay for everything. And by the way, I don't qualify for either of those things!

Right now the p2de is outta commission, so I put the system back into the drifter. Charging the battery up as we (I) speak to see if I can get the symptoms again, or not. There will be no binding issues as far as the transmission goes because there is really no transmission besides a slipper, which is tightened all the way, because it's a "drifter", and the tires get no traction on smooth cement:
    Last edited by Sp2deSummit; 06-12-2019 at 01:22 PM.
    I like free stuff!

All right, so I tested with my charged 2s, ran it at about 50-75% throttle the entire time. ESC went into thermal shutdown mode , which I bet was happening before when it was cutting in and out. I wonder if this motor is just too high a kv? (5700kv)
    I like free stuff!

The temp gun should be here thursday, then I can get some measurements and see if it is actually overheating. I am going to open up the motor (if I can), and see what I can see.
    I like free stuff!

RC Racer
    The temp gun should be here thursday, then I can get some measurements and see if it is actually overheating. I am going to open up the motor (if I can), and see what I can see.
    Before you do that, why don't you test the motor with a different ESC and vice versa? Also, didn't the ESC thermal when you had the video on the drifter in the Alley a while back? Be careful not to lose anything that goes to the motor, as you may not need to replace it yet.
    Last edited by Is_It_Broken?; 06-13-2019 at 09:51 AM.

Ok, I was already thinking of getting a new ESC or possibly of getting a vxl r2sty, just maybe. Then I could (if the connecters are/made the same) test with diff motor and ESC combinations.
    I like free stuff!

RC Racer
    I kind of meant to see if you could borrow one. Isn't the goal to keep you from buying something you don't need to?

Yeah. I don't have anybody I could borrow from. I wish I could though. I would get the r2sty even if the SW3 worked anyway, and I was trying to say that if I got one I could then switch stuff around and trouble shoot. We will see after I get paid for my job... If I don't get the r2sty, you think a max10 would be an upgrade?
    Last edited by Sp2deSummit; 06-17-2019 at 08:11 PM.
    I like free stuff!

RC Racer
    If you have an LHS within an hour or so, it would cost less to pay for gas than a new motor/ESC combo. Also, you could try contacting Castle, as they have a good customer service reputation. If you are planning to get the Rustler anyways, that might be a cheaper solution, and if you verify that the ESC or motor is shot, you can ask about an upgrade in the P2de forum. Or you could simply replace whichever component doesn't work, or even put the Velinion in the P2de and upgrade the Rusty!

I was thinking along the lines of your last sentence I'll let you know what I decide to do. As for the LHS, I have at least one within 30 min. But... I have to convince someone to drive with me, as I only have my permit right now
    I like free stuff!