Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Qualifier

E Revo 2.0 set up kit and advice (please)

I was set on order a 1/16 but I found with all the must have hop ups and bits I wanted I was in 2.0 territory, so I thought might as well go big or go home

My planned purchase and first set up is as follows

E-Revo 2.0
    EZ peak dual 8 charger
    2x 7600 2S lipos
    Link wireless module
    Traxxas rear chassis brace
    T Bone chassis/servo cover
    Dust cover (two minds as I’m not sure if the added dust protection will come at a loss with heat build up?)

That’s pretty much what I wanted to start with I did consider the GPM SS front and rear skid covers as the Tbone only covers the middle body (they do a front and rear/wheelie bar but I’m not keen on the look of these, their other E Revo versions look nicer)

Only other area I was a little uncertain on was tyres? I going to be mostly on dirt and tarmac so was thinking I’d need two sets? Badlands and road rage maybe???

Interested in if there’s any must haves I’ve over looked so any advice/pointers most welcome

Also can anyone recommend a decent starter tool kit seen Traxxas own brand one plus the likes of Dyamite and Arrowmax but not sure on quality?

Thanks in advance

RC Racer
    I would take a look at upgrading servos.....Iíve invested $400-500 in upgrades to mine so far, and servo was the biggest change (I went with a single mega-torque Savox)......hot Racing has some nice hop-ups for it as well (including my favorite 50mm motor fan)

Itís a pretty solid basher right out of the box, with rod ends and toe links being the only real ďweakĒ points Iíve noticed

I run an 18/50 gearing, and I hammer it on 6S constantly and itís held up wonderfully!

Enjoy this beast!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Gcm1978 View Post
    I would take a look at upgrading servos.....I’ve invested $400-500 in upgrades to mine so far, and servo was the biggest change (I went with a single mega-torque Savox)......hot Racing has some nice hop-ups for it as well (including my favorite 50mm motor fan)

It’s a pretty solid basher right out of the box, with rod ends and toe links being the only real “weak” points I’ve noticed

I run an 18/50 gearing, and I hammer it on 6S constantly and it’s held up wonderfully!

Enjoy this beast!

Thanks for input.

I had planned on aligning the servos and then run until I get issues as I wanted to make sure the other bits are sorted first.

Had heard the Castle fan being mentioned but now I’ve seen that 50mm HR one that looks the business buy then wondering back to my earlier question would it be ok under a dust cover or is it best to forget the overs all together?!

I already have looked out the SS rod set from GPM as an update in the near future.

RC Racer
    I ran mine 6s straight outta the box and was really surprised at its durability (save for the stock esc going out straight away, traxxas was willing to replace it but i said screw it and threw a Mamba monster 2 in since i knew the ERBE 1.0 did ok with its MM1 and the MM2 just adds waterproofishness lol) as mentioned above the toe links have been know to be weak, i recommend loctiting the top and bottom connections where the pivot balls connect to the control arms all the way around 8 in total as mine lossed up every run til i realized the problem the hard way by having one pull out finally. Also i have had an issue with the front pushrods work the rockers they are highly exposed in front end collisions i bash in pretty heavy woods and have squared a few saplings/bush trunks not even real hard i always saw em coming but the stock ones seem to bend easy i have straightened them several times now and am thinking of upgrading to aluminum 7075-t6 to see if that fixes it.

Hope this helps you enjoy your mental machine a little bit more

RC Qualifier
    ^ Thanks

I’ll sort the pillow balls out ASAP would you just fix on the stock or get upgraded ones (if there is an upgrade)

As for rods I’ll be fitting these
    https://www.gpmracing-parts.com/traxxas-erevo-vxl-stainless-steel-adjustable-tie-rods-24pc-set-gpm-er2160s-p-11272.html?options={33}158

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by SC11 View Post
    ^ Thanks

I’ll sort the pillow balls out ASAP would you just fix on the stock or get upgraded ones (if there is an upgrade)
    So far i havnt found alot of upgrade options so i haven't tried any and just tinked with the stock ones, however in a previous post i believe i saw someone mention integys aluminum ones worked for them.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Xzinten View Post
    So far i havnt found alot of upgrade options so i haven't tried any and just tinked with the stock ones, however in a previous post i believe i saw someone mention integys aluminum ones worked for them.
    Going from general forum opinion Iíve ticked this company as one to avoid and really just looked at RPM, GPM and HR kit

RC Racer
    Going from general forum opinion I’ve ticked this company as one to avoid and really just looked at RPM, GPM and HR kit
    That was mentioned on there as well and I would tend to agree with that entirely. Wish i could find it again i would have linked it, and certainly wasnt blindly suggestion that particular company it was/hads been unknown to me if RPM and such have these available for the 2.0 yet.

RC Qualifier
    The stock servos sell well on eBay. Sell them as brand new and use the money towards a new servo

RC Qualifier
    What’s the servo of choice then?

And dual or single?

RC Competitor
    What’s the servo of choice then?

And dual or single?
    Check out this link before going w/ just 1 servo. I went w/ 2 Savox 1211SG servo's & have been very happy with the crispness & speed of the steering. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbxUZDqiWvE
    Also regarding dust covers, my motor & ESC temps went up running in snow with one. Definitely monitor temps if you're running one. I since installed the mentioned HR 50mm fan w/ good results.
    Slash Nitro
    Slash 4x4
    E-Revo 2.0

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by MT79 View Post
    Check out this link before going w/ just 1 servo. I went w/ 2 Savox 1211SG servo's & have been very happy with the crispness & speed of the steering. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbxUZDqiWvE
    Also regarding dust covers, my motor & ESC temps went up running in snow with one. Definitely monitor temps if you're running one. I since installed the mentioned HR 50mm fan w/ good results.
    Thank you

So are you running the 50mm HR with the dust cover?

RC Competitor
    Thank you

So are you running the 50mm HR with the dust cover?
    I really only ran the dust cover in snow & cold weather b/c heat was too much of an issue for me. With the 50mm fan in snowy conditions it was fine (the motor was about 145-150 degrees). In hotter weather it holds in too much heat to be worth it IMO. FWIW I'm using the Dusty Motorz cover.
    Slash Nitro
    Slash 4x4
    E-Revo 2.0

RC Qualifier
    Another Q

When I was researching toe links and push rods on the 1/16 a lot recommend steel but now on the 2.0 it appears alu seems to be the upgrade of choice with a lot going Traxxas own versions?

Is this the case?

And also when looking on Traxxas site under the E Revo 2.0 quite a few different alu parts are listed?! I’m assuming I need 8638R and 8618R?

RC Competitor
    I went red aluminum with the pushrods and black for the toelinks but the toelinks are made for the revo not the 2.0 I was unaware at time of purchase but they work fine I would go with factory recommendations though.
    His Glory Alone all the way to the grave.

RC Competitor
    I'm still running stock pushrods/toelinks so I can't help you much there. Someone pretty popular on youtube who bashes HARD seems to have had good results w/ Traxxas aluminum toelinks in the rear after bending & snapping the stock ones more than once.
    On a side note one other thing I'd suggest are body savers of some sort. RPM makes a nice one that takes care of the front & rear. I use them & they've held up well for me even though my body was already torn when I put them on. You can also use a rubber under sided & steel topped type of washer (not sure of the technical name). The mounting screws tend to rip through the body otherwise sooner rather than later.
    Edit- Also if you don't already know about it look into the 85mm limiting strap mod in the rear to save the shock rods and shock rod ends. It's fairly simple & cheap w/ the aluminum chassis brace installed. There's a youtube video by the same guy I linked to above that tells you the exact length bolts and spacer size necessary. I can't recall bolt length and spacer size at the moment.
    Last edited by MT79; 04-26-2019 at 06:10 PM.
    Slash Nitro
    Slash 4x4
    E-Revo 2.0

RC Qualifier
    I would add a wheelie bar to that list so you are ready for 6S. I only run 6S in my car.
    Catch my videos at youtube.com/c/offworkhours

For my build I purchased:

Traxxas rear aluminum brace TRA5632
    Traxxas Aluminum Pushrods (green) TRA8618G
    Traxxas Aluminum Toe Links (blue) TRA8638X (these are for the 2.0 VXL)
    Traxxas wheelie bar (if running 6s, you will want this) TRA5472
    Traxxas Variable Damping Kit for shocks TRA5461
    I also changed my springs and shock oil weight, but my truck is set up only for on road racing, so my options won't be best for on and off road necessarily.
    Traxxas link module
    Traxxas motor temp sensor TRA6521
    Traxxas sensor mount TRA6535

Yeah Racing heat sink and dual fans, upgraded to aluminum housed fans.

My next purchase will be upgraded steering servos. I will still be running two, even if they have more torque.

For tires I'm not well versed on Badlands as I'm an on road guy, but I know they balloon like crazy. For street tires, check out the SRC Road Crushers. They are belted and won't balloon like crazy and are direct bolt up for the E Revo 2.0. I myself run GRP 1/5th wheels and tires for street racing. However you need to buy adapters to get them to fit. Kinda a pain if you wanna switch back and forth from on road to off road. You will always find plenty more to buy to upgrade your beast and make it your own.

RC Racer
    Thanks for input.

I had planned on aligning the servos and then run until I get issues as I wanted to make sure the other bits are sorted first.

Had heard the Castle fan being mentioned but now Iíve seen that 50mm HR one that looks the business buy then wondering back to my earlier question would it be ok under a dust cover or is it best to forget the overs all together?!

I already have looked out the SS rod set from GPM as an update in the near future.

I have the HR dust cover as well.....no problems with fan at all

RC Racer
    Whatís the servo of choice then?

And dual or single?

Iím running a single Savox sw1210sg........444oz of torque, itís been excellent

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by bashing fo fun View Post
    I went red aluminum with the pushrods and black for the toelinks but the toelinks are made for the revo not the 2.0 I was unaware at time of purchase but they work fine I would go with factory recommendations though.
    Cool, yeah my RC shop lists both the TA’s 8638R, 5338R (and a cool carbon black set) as direct fit to the 2.0 yet the 8638 appears the ones truly designated for the 2.0!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by MT79 View Post
    I'm still running stock pushrods/toelinks so I can't help you much there. Someone pretty popular on youtube who bashes HARD seems to have had good results w/ Traxxas aluminum toelinks in the rear after bending & snapping the stock ones more than once.
    On a side note one other thing I'd suggest are body savers of some sort. RPM makes a nice one that takes care of the front & rear. I use them & they've held up well for me even though my body was already torn when I put them on. You can also use a rubber under sided & steel topped type of washer (not sure of the technical name). The mounting screws tend to rip through the body otherwise sooner rather than later.
    Edit- Also if you don't already know about it look into the 85mm limiting strap mod in the rear to save the shock rods and shock rod ends. It's fairly simple & cheap w/ the aluminum chassis brace installed. There's a youtube video by the same guy I linked to above that tells you the exact length bolts and spacer size necessary. I can't recall bolt length and spacer size at the moment.
    Right I get it now!

Iíve seen the vids of people fitting washers/spacers to the body screws for that reason, the body savers I thought for some reason were meant as like a roll protection and did think to my self they hardly offer much protection and donít even protruded pass much of the body, haha now I know what they actually are for!!!

Oh yes the HR straps have been noted now along with the HR 50mm fan

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by drivejumpfly View Post
    I would add a wheelie bar to that list so you are ready for 6S. I only run 6S in my car.
    I’m most likely to be on 4S for now but again that’s another must have! Traxxas own branded version seems the choice.

I’ve seen the Traxxas one comes with hard plastics wheels with a tyre/alu wheel upgrade is this any use? Other the looks I can’t really see it!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by RICK DIZZLE View Post
    For my build I purchased:

Traxxas rear aluminum brace TRA5632
    Traxxas Aluminum Pushrods (green) TRA8618G
    Traxxas Aluminum Toe Links (blue) TRA8638X (these are for the 2.0 VXL)
    Traxxas wheelie bar (if running 6s, you will want this) TRA5472
    Traxxas Variable Damping Kit for shocks TRA5461
    I also changed my springs and shock oil weight, but my truck is set up only for on road racing, so my options won't be best for on and off road necessarily.
    Traxxas link module
    Traxxas motor temp sensor TRA6521
    Traxxas sensor mount TRA6535

Yeah Racing heat sink and dual fans, upgraded to aluminum housed fans.

My next purchase will be upgraded steering servos. I will still be running two, even if they have more torque.

For tires I'm not well versed on Badlands as I'm an on road guy, but I know they balloon like crazy. For street tires, check out the SRC Road Crushers. They are belted and won't balloon like crazy and are direct bolt up for the E Revo 2.0. I myself run GRP 1/5th wheels and tires for street racing. However you need to buy adapters to get them to fit. Kinda a pain if you wanna switch back and forth from on road to off road. You will always find plenty more to buy to upgrade your beast and make it your own.
    Very interested in your points as I do plan on a lot of street use.

I understand about spring rate and oil weight in the shocks but new to this variable damping kit how is it actually used?

Aware of tyre ballooning but haven’t looked into exact tyres but your choice on research looks promising do you know if the stock sweep rims are ok? Also how bad it tyre ballooning as I was under the impression all tyres will do it to a degree?

Steering servo I’m now looking at a single 2255 as it’s a drop in fit.

Also very much interested in your spring/shock oil weight choice for road use as it might give me a reference point to go for.

RC Qualifier
    I have the HR dust cover as well.....no problems with fan at all

I’m running a single Savox sw1210sg........444oz of torque, it’s been excellent

I’ll give the DC and 50mm HR fan a go as I’ll be ordering the temp sensor to keep an eye of things!

Servo as above I’m looking at the Traxxas 2255 single servo route

For my current on road set up, which im still fine tuning, I use Black 4.4 rate in the front and Silver 4.9 rate in the rear. Im also running Associated 60 wt shock oil. The way the variable dampening kit works, you have pistons w different size holes to chose from. The hole diameter determines how much oil can pass through when compressing and rebounding. There is also a small metal flap/valve you install. This stays closed when moving one direction, yet is allowed to open in the other. Meaning when moving one way oil flows through two piston holes, the other way the oil moves through four piston holes. This means your dampening effect is changed from compression to rebound. I have piston #1 up front and #2 in the back with my valves installed on the bottom.

As for tires, the Road Crushers and the GRPs are belted. Meaning they have an actual belt type material, nylon usually, in the core of the tire to prevent ballooning. Ballooning can make the truck hard to control and can lead to tire failure at high speeds, so on road tires are by design, meant not to balloon. There are videos on YouTube all about this. The Road Crushers are closest to stock tire size, thus gearing won't be affected much. If you go to a smaller tire like the 1/5th GRPs, you will want to balance them and regear your truck as they are smaller overall in diameter and have much less rotational mass.

I've heard a lot of good about the Road Crusher and Terrain Crusher tires and wheels. I have heard from a small handful of people that they have cracked the SRC wheels on hard landings from big air jumps...but if your running Road Crushers, I doubt you will be jumping big air on the roads.

RC Qualifier
    After some debate and late nights reading up on here, this is going to be my base order

E-Revo 2.0
    EZ peak dual 8 charger
    2x 7600 2S lipos
    Link wireless module
    Temp sensor
    Traxxas 400 single servo
    2nd servo blanking plate
    Servo save spring
    Springs (black, pink and blue)
    GTR hard anodised shocks
    60wt shock oil
    Traxxas alu toe & push rods
    T Bone front bumper, chassis/servo cover and rear bumper/wheelie bar
    RPM body saver
    Traxxas rear metal brace
    HR 85mm limiting straps
    Sweep terrain crushers
    Proline shockwaves

Now debating on Tonyís screws and either Acer racing or Boca ceramic bearings to swap out as I go along with the upgrades?!
    Last edited by SC11; 04-29-2019 at 04:30 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Todayís the day!

Hurry up DPD

GTR Teflon shocks, toe links & RPM body savers are all on back order but Iíll have enough to get started with.

RC Qualifier
    Got to love a goodie delivery

RC Qualifier
    Thought WTH so order Tony’s Screws and Acer ceramic bearing for when I do the upgrades.

Also guys as I’m rebuilding most of it is there any drive line updates or diff work you would advise I carry out while I’m at it.

RC Qualifier
    Well the 2S were short lived! 3S on there way to me

RC Racer
    Well the 2S were short lived! 3S on there way to me
    Good deal.....this truck deserves to drive and jump on 6s

RC Qualifier
    Good deal.....this truck deserves to drive and jump on 6s

Ordered 4 to give me the run time of the 2S

Wonít be driving or jumping anywhere yet itís currently in piece getting rebuilt

RC Qualifier
    In pieces as Iíve decide to check the diffs, change the oil to 100k and proper grease everything up.

Plus I wasnít overly impressed with the look/feel of the Acers so gone for a complete refit of Boca yellows.

For ease on my skill level I was going to do one diff at a time but since Iím waiting on bits I think Iíll get the rear stripped out ready to be done as well.

Current situation...

RC Qualifier
    Well got a little carried away and have ended up here hahaha

Hurry up goodies I need to rebuild it!

RC Qualifier
    Got to love a goodie delivery

That looks expensive! What tyres did you go for?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Kpowell911 View Post
    That looks expensive! What tyres did you go for?
    That’s not half the stuff haha

Tyre wise as above picked up the Terrain Crushers and Shockwaves to compare.

RC Qualifier
    That’s not half the stuff haha

Tyre wise as above picked up the Terrain Crushers and Shockwaves to compare.
    What shop did you use?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Kpowell911 View Post
    What shop did you use?
    Modelsport, and big shout out to the guys there for all their advice, patience and help.

Just in limbo waiting on Boca to get the bearings to me and a few B/O Traxxas parts to come in.

RC Qualifier
    Yea, must admit, Modelsport are my go to for. UK shop. Been using them before they had an online shop and I had to get my Dad to ring up and pay on his card as I was too young to have a bank card haha

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast